24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not building up any new rifles right now. No more unless I sell one. Did put Radian ambi safeties in 3 of them yesterday, though.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
ARIC

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've been at this long enough to know what I want and have built them. I've not seen anything new in the past few years that has made me think "oh I've gotta have that".

The major influence I see now on "builds" is price, just how low can they go...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
how low and still function and in the realm of 1-2 MOA is mind boggling. But I learned that in the 80s playing with parts guns. The parts were sometimes way worse, but it seemed that any cheap barrel was decent, somewhat more reliable than a factory deer rifle being really accurate.

Its only gotten better I think. Especially having some junk guns back then that won serious matches. And junk guns these days that hover at MOA and don't mis step. All for pennies on the dollar as they say

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by boatanchor
For some reason I cant make up my mind between a 6ARC and a 204 Ruger

I have been losely following the 6mm Arc. I have decided 6x45 is a better option since it would be a short distance shooter. Maybe even the 6.8. The guys on Predator Masters said the 6.5 Grendel is for punching paper and the 6.8 is for killing things.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like a 12.5.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
A good basic AR-10 that ain't costing me an arm and a leg

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by kwg020

I have been losely following the 6mm Arc. I have decided 6x45 is a better option since it would be a short distance shooter. Maybe even the 6.8. The guys on Predator Masters said the 6.5 Grendel is for punching paper and the 6.8 is for killing things.

kwg

Hmm. And they think there is a real difference between the two? Thats funny as heck

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495

kwg

Hmm. And they think there is a real difference between the two? Thats funny as heck

You wouldn't think so. As for the 6x45, I love mine and you aren't limited to using schidt die sets, like what you get when you run the 6woa. OOPS... I know, you run that one and don't mind the expensive dimple making die set. I don't like it, but I did like the 6WOA. Twisted right (which again, WOA chooses to use a 1 in 10" twist for some reason). The 6WOA would make the most sense. Except they have a monopoly on who can make die sets for them I guess? I ended up selling that headache and moved on to the 6x45 with no regrets. YMMV...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

kwg

You wouldn't think so. As for the 6x45, I love mine and you aren't limited to using schidt die sets, like what you get when you run the 6woa. OOPS... I know, you run that one and don't mind the expensive dimple making die set. I don't like it, but I did like the 6WOA. Twisted right (which again, WOA chooses to use a 1 in 10" twist for some reason). The 6WOA would make the most sense. Except they have a monopoly on who can make die sets for them I guess? I ended up selling that headache and moved on to the 6x45 with no regrets. YMMV...

What twist did you settle on and what grain bullets do you prefer ??

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m gonna tear apart the first upper I built and re-build it as a 6.5 Grendell. Even though I used an expensive barrel on the original build (a .556) it’s just never been a great shooter. I threw together another AR out of parts I had accumulated when buying stuff for that first build, and it shoots WAY better, generic Brownells barrel and all.

Just waiting for the right 6.5 barrel and bolt to show up in front of my schnoz. A LGS just got a 20” 6.5 Grendell barrel/bolt but I was thinking 18”... long barrels on AR’s look goofy and for my purposes with this build (LR screwing around at targets in volume) I have no use for a couple extra inches of tube.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

kwg

Dunno those things. My 6 woa is a hunting gun. It stabilizes 80ish barnes and thats enough for me. No need for any other bullet. Die is Redding.

You only need enough twist, as I've said before my wifes shooting partner who is no slouch, shot 9 twist 223 on purpose in service rifle. Still running 80s at 600.. I prefer more twist though by far personally.

I've shot more than a few things with 6.8 of my buddies. my 6 WOA. 6.5 Grendel. 223. Frankly there is really no huge difference between any of them. And very unimpressed with my 50 beowulf. You know was thinking big they should flop... well they do. After about the same run as anything else out there.

Killing all pigs this winter with 223 and 40 vmax so far. No issues. The ones that run, don't run all that far. Close enough I can find em with Tiger in the mornings and get the ears and cut em open so the coyotes and buzzards waste no time.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I’m gonna tear apart the first upper I built and re-build it as a 6.5 Grendell. Even though I used an expensive barrel on the original build (a .556) it’s just never been a great shooter. I threw together another AR out of parts I had accumulated when buying stuff for that first build, and it shoots WAY better, generic Brownells barrel and all.

Just waiting for the right 6.5 barrel and bolt to show up in front of my schnoz. A LGS just got a 20” 6.5 Grendell barrel/bolt but I was thinking 18”... long barrels on AR’s look goofy and for my purposes with this build (LR screwing around at targets in volume) I have no use for a couple extra inches of tube.

Either a bad tube from the maker and they should remedy that or didn't get it set up correctly. 223 shoot.

Barrels. LOL one of my current play guns is 223. 28 inch Krieger. Just flat shoots 90 jlks really well and should do well when I get it to 1000 yards eventually.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

kwg

I’ve got a 1-7 Aero 6 ARC. It’s around an inch for 5 rounds with the 103, 105 HPBT and 108. I’m pretty please with it so far. It is quickly becoming my favorite AR for carrying in the truck. Good bullet weight and speed.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm just taking my time building a 10" pistol (556). Don't need it but had the barrel. It's not gonna be spectacular but functional. Basically just need a dedicated lower and spring and buffer.

If I find a good deal I'll finish it but in no hurry

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Slowly but surely. Have a friend that I'm going to be buying an old Bushmaster A2 upper from. He replaced his A2 carry handle with a flat top receiver. I'll pull his apart and throw this carry handle on it.. Then I'll take my time finding the right lower... I like shooting these A2 rifles. It gives me practice shooting from the weak side...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Either a bad tube from the maker and they should remedy that or didn't get it set up correctly. 223 shoot.

Barrels. LOL one of my current play guns is 223. 28 inch Krieger. Just flat shoots 90 jlks really well and should do well when I get it to 1000 yards eventually.

It’s not THAT good a barrel; it’s not a Krieger or any of those. It’s just a medium-thick profile stainless fluted tube from a company that builds well-regarded rifles. 1:8 twist.

It’s not horrible, just annoying that both my old stock Bushy M4’gery, and the “parts” rifle I put together after the problem gun, shoot very tangibly better.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs

kwg

I’ve got a 1-7 Aero 6 ARC. It’s around an inch for 5 rounds with the 103, 105 HPBT and 108. I’m pretty please with it so far. It is quickly becoming my favorite AR for carrying in the truck. Good bullet weight and speed.

That’s about what I’m seeing from my Brownell’s Faxson 1:8 barrel. I must have gotten a good one, as I’ve dread about some issues with them.

Last edited by Hudge; 01/21/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cut your losses and buy a BCA barrel and screw it on.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. I’ll look into their Grendel barrels tonight.

I took the gun out of the safe out in the shop and stared at a while today. I sprung for a very nice floating handguard I want to re-use, but it’s really the right length for an 18” tube so that’s what I’m going to find. Hear that, LGS?! Lol..... trying to stay out of there or I’ll just buy what they have. Suppose I could shorten it, then thread the end for whatever I put on there (probably a brake) but that sounds a lot like work, haha...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10at6
Cut your losses and buy a BCA barrel and screw it on.

Dayom...................that right there is some funny schitt. Laughin' here.

MM

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,639
Posts18,398,984
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.