We haven't talked about this one on the tinkerbell forum lately

Bill Ruger's prototype 99

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am thinking the tubular magazine looking thing under the barrel is the gas thingy and that it retained the rotary magazine?

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
wyo1895 that was my thinking also.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes, it has been absent from this forum. And it's a pretty clean execution if you ask me. Think we can talk Ruger into making it today along side of its manually operated brother? (as a side note, it looks like they are getting serious about getting Marlin into production)

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think it looks a lot nicer than a Winny with the flapper device!

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I would love to see a video of that rifle being fired or, at least, a video of the action being cycled manually. smile smile smile

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JeffG
We haven't talked about this one on the tinkerbell forum lately

Bill Ruger's prototype 99

That tube fed Savage .410 would go nicely with your rotary fed Savage .410 smile

How does ejection work on that proto? Auto? Pump? Other? What is that metal piece on the right side fore/rec'r?

"Every day above ground is a good day."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Meh. To me it looks clumsy from the receiver forward. I bet Bill Ruger had a Garand on the table in front of him when he designed that gas system. Can't tell from the pic, but I would be inclined to speculate that the appliance on the RH side is the operating rod.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JoeMartin

I'm trying real hard to picture what you mean by a flapper device on a Winchester. smile

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I bet Bill Ruger had a Garand on the table in front of him when he designed that gas system. Can't tell from the pic, but I would be inclined to speculate that the appliance on the RH side is the operating rod.

How does that saying go? Great minds think alike? whistle

I thought exactly the same thing the instant I saw it... grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
How does ejection work on that proto? Auto? Pump? Other? What is that metal piece on the right side fore/rec'r?

It's a semiauto, so it would eject automatically and cycle in the next round. I'm curious whether it has a bolt stop for when the magazine is empty or if it closes. I'm guessing the screw and button at the rear of the bolt are part of the bolt stop.. reload the magazine, push the button and it slams the bolt forward?

The metal piece on the right I'm sure is a charging/unloading handle. Pull it back to open the bolt and eject any round in the chamber.

It may look clumsy, but remember that he was working on his own and needed to modify the 99 receiver to work rather than create a new receiver.
[Linked Image from nramuseum.org]

Last edited by Calhoun; 01/17/22.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JoeMartin

I'm trying real hard to picture what you mean by a flapper device on a Winchester. smile

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2021/03/29/potd-john-moses-brownings-flapper-gun/
It has a disc with a hole in the middle hooked to a toggle. The muzzle blast pushes the flapper forward, that pushes the toggle down, pushing a rod back that cycles the lever.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 01/17/22.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well I'll be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For all I've read of Bill Ruger's design's over the years, Ruger Firearms, and the development of gas/recoil operated rifles, this is the first I've ever heard of Bill Rugers first ever design, i.e. his Savage 99 conversion. Very interesting piece. I too would like to see a video of it being fired if one exists. I had read of and seen pics of John Brownings 'Flapper' rifle, a very inventive piece.

Meh. To me it looks clumsy from the receiver forward. I bet Bill Ruger had a Garand on the table in front of him when he designed that gas system. Can't tell from the pic, but I would be inclined to speculate that the appliance on the RH side is the operating rod.

I also in the first look at the OP's video thought that it sure looked M1 Garandish'. Also a bit of 10-22 and Mini 14ish. The rod underneath the barrel would be the tube containing the gas piston and the right side appendage the charging handle/op rod to pull the bolt back. Wonder what the rate of fire was-probably not take long to fire the five rounds in the magazine, assume it probably was semi-auto. The back of the right side of the receiver looks like it has had some wear from the 'charging handle'. Be an interesting piece to be able to examine, more so to fire.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks for sharing this. I had no idea this existed.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Crazy cool
Thanks

Just remind me NOT to loan any of my 99,s to any Ruger guy!
🙂

Last edited by Monkeymaster; 01/17/22.

Let him grow, Shoot a doe !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't know that about the Browning modified 1873. This is a cool post.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
There was a patent issued for converting an 1899 to a tube fed slide action - uspto.gov/00753384

John Browning like the flapper idea, one of his first semi-auto pistol used a toggle link lockup opened by a gas operated 'flapper', uspto.gov/00580923

Gene
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Presumably invented back in the '50's. Really too bad that Bill never brought it to market because popular as the 99 was, a semi-auto like that would have captured the market here in the Midwest. Near everyone in deer camp back in the '60's had either a Remington 8/81/740/742 or a Winchester 100.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.