Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JackVliet

So having said that, the .280ai is the only cartridge I plan on loading for. This will be my first foray into reloading, and I have absolutely zero experience with it.

I would like to keep the price point in the lower to middle of the road options.

Currently the only thing i have is a solid work bench. Other than that I am empty handed.
Jack

As usual in threads the first answer is usually correct. Other guys gave good advice that probably went right over your head at your level of knowledge, Get a Lee Kit, a set of dies and pick a loading manual to read about the basics. If you can find a mentor, even better. There are also good videos to watch. You may only load for this rifle or likely get bit by the bug and expand as it is a whole hobby until itself and you can then decide where to upgrade your equipment, People here will also help out. Firing your first loaded round is always a hoot.

Here's the Lee Kit. I started here and have upgraded some stuff, my least favorite item is the scale but it is serviceable https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690050/breech-lock-challenger-kit-(50th-anniversary-kit)

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
HR IC

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Oh, I highly recommend a chronograph like a Pro Chrono before any other upgrades. "Book velocities" in the manuals, and even factory loads, are often just wrong in the real world. Without a chrono, you are just guessing and should not go above mid range loads. Measuring velocity will let you know when you are getting near maximum for your loads.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would recommend starting with an affordable kit, but make sure it contains a cast iron press. They are much stronger and a better value than the aluminum versions, IME/IMO.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
You can just about guess the age group of the posters on this thread by their responses. The OP said he wanted in on the low end price wise, now three pages into it, and the beginner needs a goddam chronograph, electronic scales, top end press...and on and on. Jeezus, the guy is loading for a 280AI, what kind of volume do you think he will need to crank out? If the poor guy had asked about a commute to work car you urban whippersnappers would be recommending a SSC Tuaterra, when a used Celica would have done just fine.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
You can just about guess the age group of the posters on this thread by their responses. The OP said he wanted in on the low end price wise, now three pages into it, and the beginner needs a goddam chronograph, electronic scales, top end press...and on and on. Jeezus, the guy is loading for a 280AI, what kind of volume do you think he will need to crank out? If the poor guy had asked about a commute to work car you urban whippersnappers would be recommending a SSC Tuaterra, when a used Celica would have done just fine.

Well at least we didn't tell him to start with a Dillon. laugh

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Being grown up is over rated.

People are funny, what’s a waste of money to one, is a value to another.

Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by SLM
I think it’s funny when a guy worries about how another guy spends his money.

Many would think a bunch of overlapping guns to shoot holes in paper is a waste of money.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by tzone
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Kit.

That's exactly where I'd start.^^^ Also, I have to say this: Guys suggesting all the comparators and chidt need to learn how to find the lands without all the costly gadgets. Most load manuals will teach you this. Soot the bullet or use a sharpie, no need for extra expense. You can also use your rifles chamber to set your dies with. These same guys are probably the ones that say they don't save any money reloading their own ammo... They may not at the rate they are going. Expensive as hell die sets, when they would have been just fine with RCBS you can buy at Walmart. The list goes on.......The op is looking to keep costs down, but getting misinformation regarding some extra non needed expenses.

I was at a cross road yesterday about buying another rifle chambered in 223. A sweet little Kimber of Oregon rifle was begging me to buy it. I have four already - did I really need another one ~ does it really even matter?

I held firm and didn’t do the deed. Instead I dropped almost as much coin on reloading supplies.

For a brief moment, I felt like a grown up.

Lol

🦫

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
The reason I think a kit would be good, even if each component is not the greatest, is if I want to upgrade I will have something to base that off of. This way I will be missing the least amount of equipment with kit purchase.

Having said that, between the rock chucker kit, hornady locknload kit, and the lee breechlock kit, is there any significant reason to choose one over the others? Ideally i would buy most of what i need used, but that does not some as feasible now with the way things are.

Most expensive looks like the rcbs rock chucker kit. I think I'd like a digital scale at some point, just easier for me.

Also the chronograph is not a bad recommendation at all, I have been wanting to get one anyway just to see where I am actually at with my factory ammo.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by flintlocke

Dude, the Celica has a speedometer. If you are handloading, and approaching book max loads, your are flying blind especially with a wildcat like a 280AI.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JackVliet
The reason I think a kit would be good, even if each component is not the greatest, is if I want to upgrade I will have something to base that off of. This way I will be missing the least amount of equipment with kit purchase.

Having said that, between the rock chucker kit, hornady locknload kit, and the lee breechlock kit, is there any significant reason to choose one over the others? Ideally i would buy most of what i need used, but that does not some as feasible now with the way things are.

Most expensive looks like the rcbs rock chucker kit. I think I'd like a digital scale at some point, just easier for me.

Also the chronograph is not a bad recommendation at all, I have been wanting to get one anyway just to see where I am actually at with my factory ammo.

The Lee is functional, but if you do have the coin, get the RCBS. It is better gear and likely not needing any upgrades. Oh, get a chrony smile

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by djb
Dude, the Celica has a speedometer. If you are handloading, and approaching book max loads, your are flying blind especially with a wildcat like a 280AI.

?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM

Originally Posted by SLM

Many would think a bunch of overlapping guns to shoot holes in paper is a waste of money.

That's exactly where I'd start.^^^ Also, I have to say this: Guys suggesting all the comparators and chidt need to learn how to find the lands without all the costly gadgets. Most load manuals will teach you this. Soot the bullet or use a sharpie, no need for extra expense. You can also use your rifles chamber to set your dies with. These same guys are probably the ones that say they don't save any money reloading their own ammo... They may not at the rate they are going. Expensive as hell die sets, when they would have been just fine with RCBS you can buy at Walmart. The list goes on.......The op is looking to keep costs down, but getting misinformation regarding some extra non needed expenses.

I was at a cross road yesterday about buying another rifle chambered in 223. A sweet little Kimber of Oregon rifle was begging me to buy it. I have four already - did I really need another one ~ does it really even matter?

I held firm and didn’t do the deed. Instead I dropped almost as much coin on reloading supplies.

Lol

🦫

You Bastird !

Now I have to go back and look at the rifle....My only question is WWSLMD 😂🦫

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...super-varminter-223.cfm?gun_id=101814571

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LFC
RCBS press....used or new.

I like Forster dies (if you can't afford them I would go with RCBS or Hornady)....used or new.

You'll need a good scale an RCBS is hard to beat....used or new.

Powder trickler....used or new.

Pick up a used Wilson case trimmer on here or ebay....best there is and they last forever.

Don't go cheap on a dial caliper (you could make do with a cheap one) but I'd suggest buying a used Starrett or Brown and Sharpe in their case....look on ebay.\ used.

Later comes the Stoney point tool and bullet comparators to measure with.

Remember cheap tools tend to follow you around for a long time.

I agree, except I have a manual trickler and an electric one. I have not used either since the ‘80’s. I like RCBS because their warranty is better than anything else I’ve seen.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by pullit
Walmart's out west have (had) reloading supplies. The ones back on this side of the country don't usually carry anything that I know of

Yeah they do it's called rubber dog sh*t from China. What do you guys call it?

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM

Originally Posted by SLM

Lol

🦫

You Bastird !

Now I have to go back and look at the rifle....My only question is WWSLMD 😂🦫

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...super-varminter-223.cfm?gun_id=101814571

SLM, After some soul searching, I found this rifle and bought it today. Same type of rifle as first picture, but possibly never fired. Wood is a smidge less purty, but it was also a little less money. #Win

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...super-varminter-223.cfm?gun_id=101833462

“Molon Labe”
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That's a nice one.

Harbor Freight scope or Snap-on?

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Guess I’m a bit late to save you from yourself.

[quote=Beaver10][quote=SLM]SLM, After some soul searching, I found this rifle and bought it today. Same type of rifle as first picture, but possibly never fired. Wood is a smidge less purty, but it was also a little less money. #Win

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM

[quote=Beaver10][quote=SLM]SLM, After some soul searching, I found this rifle and bought it today. Same type of rifle as first picture, but possibly never fired. Wood is a smidge less purty, but it was also a little less money. #Win

It was either buy the rifle or give Tiny the money to get himself some new dresses and thongs.

🦫🥴

“Molon Labe”
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wish you would have chose the later, I’m getting tired of the same pics.

Can you send him some cash for razors though?

Originally Posted by SLM

It was either buy the rifle or give Tiny the money to get himself some new dresses and thongs.

🦫🥴

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Before thinking about brand, I would make a list of items and sequence them into stages.

A kit is a pretty good way to get started, but you can pick up used items as well. I bet if you posted a want to buy add you would be surprised at the folks on here that have extra presses, dies, etc, they would unload for a decent price to someone just getting started.

Bar bones:
A press, preferably with the ability to prime cases so you don't have to buy a separate priming tool
Case lube
FL sizing die, bullet seating die, shell holder
powder scale
a utensil to get powder into scale pan from container
powder funnel
calipers to measure overall length and brass length
reloading data (with the hornady app you can purchase one cambering for $1, and even read the how to reload section); nosler has free 280ai data via website

Continued progress:
a way to clean your brass, tumbler, etc
a way to trim your cases, 280ai will take five or more firings before trimming is needed
powder measure to speed up the weighing process
tools to measure fired headspace
tools to measure bullet touching lands

A few notes on the 280ai:
-I have two and love them; brass and dies are expensive; reloading data is less common than many of the mainstream chamberings
-Lee's dies are for a "different" 280ai, not the commercial version; look at other brands
-brass options are limited to Nosler, Peterson, and Hornady
-PM me if you need guidance on which powders have worked well for me
-I would not spend money on "premium bullets" at first; standard cup and core bullets are half price, which means you will handload and shoot more
-a 160 grain sierra game king at 2,900fps has fantastic terminal performance
-don't get obsessed with high BC bullets - they can be finicky and over complicate things when you are just getting started

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You're going to scare the feller off.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.