-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
People have gone against mainstream since there's been a mainstream. I get the notion they think being different makes them special. In many instances, I believe it most certainly does...

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
People have gone against mainstream since there's been a mainstream. I get the notion they think being different makes them special. In many instances, I believe it most certainly does...

In my AOR we call them liberals.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bugger,

Fair enough--but I still wish I had $5 bill for every time somebody of our generation has told me (or posted somewhere on the Internet) that there's no reason for the 6.5 Creedmoor, because the 6.5x55 has been doing the "same things" for well over a century.

By the way, I would also often like a little more magazine length for "short actions." This is partly because so many newer bullets have longer sleeker front ends, especially plastic-tips. But some short-action rifles are now coming with slightly longer magazines. Melvin Forbes put 3-inch magazines in his Model 20 Ultra Light Arms rifles when he introduced them in 1985, and the magazine on Eileen's M20 .257 Roberts allows me to seat 100-grain Barnes TTSXs "correctly," meaning where they're most accurate. Despite the tendency of TTSX's to shoot better when seated somewhat deeper, the cartridge OAL is too long for the average 2.85 inch short-action magazine.

Doesn't the Fieldcraft have a 3" magazine? It seems like that should be the next best thing; "ordinary" factory rifles with magazines > SAAMI specs. Bullets are getting longer, not shorter.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The media hype, the 6.5 long bullet craze and the fact that it’s new. Both are good, but I prefer the 7-08.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
A fun read! smile

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular. laugh

There ain't no country music for old men
All of the good ones have died, or just packed it in
Now there's posers and losers
And would-be outlaws
Who only know how to pretend
But there ain't no country music for old men

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have used a 7x57 since 1981 so have no interest in the CM. Because I loaded for and used and saw used several 6.5x55's in the 80's and 90's, I definitely would take a serious look at the CM if I lost everything in a fire and had to rebuild. The 6.5mm is a very old and well proven caliber regardless of the casing. The CM case is the more practical today and the rifles are built around the potential of the cartridge as a whole in today's market, so it really wouldn't be very bright to slander a 6.5 Creedmoor considering most people hunt animals way under 1000 pounds.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote] Doesn't the Fieldcraft have a 3" magazine? It seems like that should be the next best thing; "ordinary" factory rifles with magazines > SAAMI specs. Bullets are getting longer, not shorter. [/quote]

Yes, the short-action Fieldcraft HAD a 3" magazine. I emphasize HAD because the FC isn't made anymore.

I had one for a while, a .243 Winchester with a 1-7 rifling twist, and the magazine length definitely helped when handloading the longer, high-BC bullets weighing well over 100 grains.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Three rounds of Factory 140 A-Max ammo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You should’ve zoomed out. You can’t see the other two shots in that frame!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Three rounds of Factory 140 A-Max ammo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You should’ve zoomed out. You can’t see the other two shots in that frame!

LOL. That's funny Sir.

Jim

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m gonna need some addresses so the shanking party can commence.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
I have used a 7x57 since 1981 so have no interest in the CM. Because I loaded for and used and saw used several 6.5x55's in the 80's and 90's, I definitely would take a serious look at the CM if I lost everything in a fire and had to rebuild. The 6.5mm is a very old and well proven caliber regardless of the casing. The CM case is the more practical today and the rifles are built around the potential of the cartridge as a whole in today's market, so it really wouldn't be very bright to slander a 6.5 Creedmoor considering most people hunt animals way under 1000 pounds.

I love the concept of the 6.5 Creedmoor. But I'm still busy acquiring the rifles I lusted after in the 1970s. Second (or third) childhood sort of thing.

I've had every practical use for a rifle covered since the early 1980s at least. But I'm aware that the CM cartridge is a better idea, and likely the best avenue to an all purpose rifle out there.
If whim and opportunity coincide...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[/quote] Doesn't the Fieldcraft have a 3" magazine? It seems like that should be the next best thing; "ordinary" factory rifles with magazines > SAAMI specs. Bullets are getting longer, not shorter.

Yes, the short-action Fieldcraft HAD a 3" magazine. I emphasize HAD because the FC isn't made anymore.

I had one for a while, a .243 Winchester with a 1-7 rifling twist, and the magazine length definitely helped when handloading the longer, high-BC bullets weighing well over 100 grains.
[/quote]

I have that 243 now. Hadn’t even shot it. Probably get it rolling this spring.

I traded a guy a 6.5 Creedmoor for the 243….

Last edited by shortactionsmoker; 01/16/22.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Doesn't the Fieldcraft have a 3" magazine? It seems like that should be the next best thing; "ordinary" factory rifles with magazines > SAAMI specs. Bullets are getting longer, not shorter.

[/quote]

I have that 243 now. Hadn’t even shot it. Probably get it rolling this spring.

I traded a guy a 6.5 Creedmoor for the 243….
[/quote]

Hey there, gun seller feller!!!

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I remember when the .223AI, the Leupold 6x42 and many were trying McMillan stocks in most every conceivable color combination were all the rage on the fire...Now not so much.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

I love the concept of the 6.5 Creedmoor. But I'm still busy acquiring the rifles I lusted after in the 1970s. Second (or third) childhood sort of thing.

I've had every practical use for a rifle covered since the early 1980s at least. But I'm aware that the CM cartridge is a better idea, and likely the best avenue to an all purpose rifle out there.
If whim and opportunity coincide...

I totally hear you & was doing that till I realized I was missing some cool stuff. I was one of the resistance but then I screwed up. I fired just 3 shots from a friends Tikka 6.5 into 3/4” off of a backpack while joking around. I had my first 6.5 Creedmoor two weeks later & just picked up a second. It’s just that well designed. It’s what we old dudes always wanted but didn’t show up till later in our ‘careers’. Can’t blame us for being pissed - we we’re sold sectional density not BC and sweet new copper bullets that change the science.

Party on

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by chesterwy
I’m not a gun writer. But the 7mm-08 didn’t have a full scale marketing campaign behind it’s introduction.

Yep....

And BC Syndrome sealed the deal

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Less drift for a given recoil level is true of the 6.5 CM, but that’s not the same as saying less drift with less recoil. Cherry picking loads isn’t useful when comparing the potential of various cartridges, since almost any outcome can be produced with the right loads. The 6.5 CM can produce slightly less drift with equal recoil when the 7-08 is loaded down, but the 7-08 can produce less drift with a bit more recoil when ballistic performance is maximized for both.

+1

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hate to bring it up, but since probably 95% of big game are taken at distances less than 300 yards, a guy should just pick the one he likes, with the right bullets, and get on with it. It takes most all of the discussions about wind drift, BC's, etc out of the equation.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Don’t you start making sense now uncle Johnny!! 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Hate to bring it up, but since probably 95% of big game are taken at distances less than 300 yards, a guy should just pick the one he likes, with the right bullets, and get on with it. It takes most all of the discussions about wind drift, BC's, etc out of the equation.

Agree with that too! Have owned one 7-08 and should have kept it. It would shoot the 162gr Hornady into 5/8" for three at 100, at nearly 2800 fps.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 60 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,339
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.