Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Zillow used to have a “make me move” function where the homeowner could state a price that he would accept even though the home wasn’t actively on the market. Kind of like seeing the car you’ve always wanted and asking the owner if he’d sell.
Zillow took that option away but a homeowner can still list, just not be active, so it kind of works the same way.

My question to a realtor, does it look weird if a house gets listed on Zillow for a high price, then a couple of years later gets listed again for a lower price? What kind of flags, if any, does this send up?

I’m in the process of updating my home. New flooring throughout, counters, sink, interior paint, and appliances. The right buyer might be willing to pay serious money in this market and we’re getting ready to downsize in the next few years anyway. I’m thinking about throwing a really high price on a FSBO on Zillow just to see if he’s out there.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a Realtor, however I have bought and sold a lot of rental property through the years. At the end of the day, it's all about the comps ( comparable properties sold) in your area. In addition, the mortgage lenders are only going to lend so much on the property so if it is wildly overvalued, the purchaser won't get a loan.

I just sold a condo in June and had multiple offers and the sale price was $20,000 over asking. It is all market and demand driven in this Sellers Market.

As they say, asking is free so go for it. You never know who really, really wants your house.

This is an easy way to test the market - https://fsbo.com/

Last edited by STRSWilson; 01/17/22.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Figure out what 'most' people are buying now regards interior colors and such, it defeats the purpose of an 'upgrade' or modernization if the next person doesn't care for your 'cup of tea'..........

Also, don't be surprised if the majority of your calls to the ad are from realtors wanting to list your property or to tell you that you are asking too much, BTDT.....

We sold ours for 'asking price', realtors said we were asking too much for a 3/2, I said well it's really a 5/4, they responded with 'no it's not, it's a three two' !?!?!?!? 'I live here, and I can count.................'

not sure about the market in Oregon, but here in FLA if you list a house, almost regardless of price.............. be prepared to move......... like NOW!!!

If a realtor wants to bring an offer, deposit with contract it's worth something, I offered them 2%, ended up paying 1%..........

And just dispense with the whole BS of you paying closing costs and flooring allowances and crap, tell them just make an offer, you pay your fees, I'll pay mine..........

And some people think that a 'cash' deal is worth so much more, it might save a little time over someone that is going to mortgage. BUT unless you're going to hold the paper they are all 'cash deals'......... and I didn't care where the cash came from, their pocket, grandmothers purse, or the mortgage company, I got it all day of closing....................

Good luck with you market test!

JMHO

Last edited by Muffin; 01/17/22.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotta be careful, had a buddy do that - list it at what he thought was a ridiculously high price, and had a cash offer for the full ask same day. shocked

They weren't prepared to move but took the offer anyways. laugh

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Part of the problem is few comps. We’re on a 5 acre parcel out of town so that complicates the process from the start. I’ve looked at homes in my neighborhood that sold recently and multiplied their dollar per square foot by my square footage to get an idea.

For example, a house on 8 acres sold in June of 2020 for $575k. 3 bed, 3 bath, 1638 sq. ft. Built in 1974 and never remodeled, never renovated. That’s $351/ft.

That puts my 2805 sq. ft. home at $ 984k but mine is newer, updated, better view, and more private. Less acreage though.

20 minutes to Costco, 10 minutes to the minimart for beer or milk, 12 minutes to three pretty good restaurants, and 15 minutes to a gas station.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're worried about how it looks to whom? People in the market right now probably won't be two years from now, so who cares what todays buyers think? List it at a ridiculous price and if it doesn't sell in a few years drop the price when you're ready. Realtors are whores, they'd sell their mother to the Mexican cartel for a buck and a half. They need inventory and chumps willing to spend cash so they can get their dollas. High rollers!

The last thing I would do is worry about what anybody, and I mean ANYBODY, thinks about what I'm asking for my house. Screw them, price it high and leave the land whores out of it.

LOL
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
No it will not matter. The market will not care.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Tikka T3x Varmint in .223 named Land Whore.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by skeen
Gotta be careful, had a buddy do that - list it at what he thought was a ridiculously high price, and had a cash offer for the full ask same day. shocked

They weren't prepared to move but took the offer anyways. laugh
Then you have to pay a ridiculously high price for another house so you don't gain much for all of your troubles.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There will be likely two or three interest rate hikes this year so the market will likely change yet all real estate is local. Over pricing depending on local market conditions can be against your best interest, you are better off pricing the home at market value or "Below" value to allow multiple buyers to bid up the price.

Your asking price is totally dependent on your level of upgrades your planning on doing plus your basic home features, location, square footage etc.

Zillow has lost a lot of marketing ground...your local MLS system is your friend.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
There will be likely two or three interest rate hikes this year so the market will likely change yet all real estate is local. Over pricing depending on local market conditions can be against your best interest, you are better off pricing the home at market value or "Below" value to allow multiple buyers to bid up the price.

Your asking price is totally dependent on your level of upgrades your planning on doing plus your basic home features, location, square footage etc.

Zillow has lost a lot of marketing ground...your local MLS system is your friend.

this is what I'm talking about ^^^^

Whores.

LOL
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Part of the problem is few comps. We’re on a 5 acre parcel out of town so that complicates the process from the start. I’ve looked at homes in my neighborhood that sold recently and multiplied their dollar per square foot by my square footage to get an idea.

For example, a house on 8 acres sold in June of 2020 for $575k. 3 bed, 3 bath, 1638 sq. ft. Built in 1974 and never remodeled, never renovated. That’s $351/ft.

That puts my 2805 sq. ft. home at $ 984k but mine is newer, updated, better view, and more private. Less acreage though.

20 minutes to Costco, 10 minutes to the minimart for beer or milk, 12 minutes to three pretty good restaurants, and 15 minutes to a gas station.

Good luck with your remodeling and expectations of adding value. It's very hard to build what someone else wants, especially what a woman wants. It's way easier to sell the cheapest house in the neighborhood than the highest house in the neighborhood. The best time to sell might be right now?

Life is good live it while you can.
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

Did you read the part about being ready to sell in the next few years, not now?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Then you have to pay a ridiculously high price for another house so you don't gain much for all of your troubles.

^^^This^^^

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think that a lot of people take too narrow a focus on the potential buyers. The wife is getting kind of board with our Florida place and the long drive to get there. She looks at Redfin and sees what she thinks is a ridiculously high price on a comparable place. The problem is that she is looking at it through a Midwestern pay scale background. People out of the over paid east coast who are use to paying outlandish prices for everything are streaming into that area and pay big bucks for the places and think it is reasonable. Same thing for vacation property up in northern WI. A pharmacist from Chicago paid 50k over asking for a place across the lake. Unreal.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Windfall
I think that a lot of people take too narrow a focus on the potential buyers. The wife is getting kind of board with our Florida place and the long drive to get there. She looks at Redfin and sees what she thinks is a ridiculously high price on a comparable place. The problem is that she is looking at it through a Midwestern pay scale background. People out of the over paid east coast who are use to paying outlandish prices for everything are streaming into that area and pay big bucks for the places and think it is reasonable. Same thing for vacation property up in northern WI. A pharmacist from Chicago paid 50k over asking for a place across the lake. Unreal.

Bingo.

I’m thinking some California ásshole might want to upgrade.

The Rona has taught business that many jobs are still viable remotely. Live anywhere.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good luck with it Pharmseller.

I'm with doc Encore.................if this inflation crap keeps up, the Fed will keep raising rates, fewer folks will want to buy and have a high interest rate mortgage (compared to last few years)

Wife wants to move closer to medical services somewhere. Problem is, in this market we won't find anywhere in those places we'd like to buy at what we're paying here. And, we're closer to paid off every month now.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Good luck with it Pharmseller.

I'm with doc Encore.................if this inflation crap keeps up, the Fed will keep raising rates, fewer folks will want to buy and have a high interest rate mortgage (compared to last few years)

Wife wants to move closer to medical services somewhere. Problem is, in this market we won't find anywhere in those places we'd like to buy at what we're paying here. And, we're closer to paid off every month now.

I’m 20 minutes from a major hospital.

I hear elk bugling on the hill behind my house every rut.

Tough to put that in a comp.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
During the last Buyer's Market you had to do all the upgrades to the Kitchen, Master, Master Bath to attract buyers. In this market all you have to do is knock down a few cobwebs and list it. The offers come.

As the Fed increases borrowing rates, it pushes a lot of fence sitters into buy as they see Fear of Loss the main motivator. So a rate hike or two can actually heat up the market short term.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
A few friends, too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

And a 3000 sq.ft. barn for the toys. Three 30-ft bays.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
145 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 673, 18 invisible), 1,945 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.