H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Angus1895
60 yards = 180 feet

Average bow speed 200 FPS

Maybe 25 years ago. It's been a long time since I have seen a bow other than a recurve or long bow shoot a hunting weight arrow that slow. Heavy aluminum arrows included.

Were shooting just shy of 300 FPS with Carbon Arrows, and all of our Equipment Tuned to the Max!
I also left the Heavy Aluminum arrows Yrs ago to Carbon Arrows, completely changing all my Equipment, and Really updating and Changing with the Times!
We build our own Arrows, weigh everything, in Grams/Grains, Do all our own Tuning, as Mainly, Bow Shops are a thing of the past, like Everything else, especially good Bow Shops!
I really Don't need someone to BS me on my Gear, just for a Buck, and then when I'm in the Field, something might Fail, and I might not know why.
This Way My Son and I know our Equipment, and can Compare notes, and were able to spend the Time Together, as a very Rewarding Hobby!

I once Shot an 8 point Buck, white Tail, at 8 feet, away from me, as I was on the ground Still Hunting, a Corn Field in Ohio, with my Buddy, in my Favorite tree, about 300 yards away, on some Land that a couple of Farmers used to let Me Hunt, with Permission. I figured that I might be able to push some Deer his Way.
I watched that Deer walk in towards me, for a good bit, and then at about 3 yds, (8 ft. really), I drilled Him. I was Probably shooting around that 200 FPS, as was said earlier.
I was Using a Jennings Forked Lightning Bow, from the old Days, at about 62 lbs draw weight, and 140 grain Rocky Mountain ,4 blade Razors! That arrow blew clean through the Buck, Naturally, at that close Range, as the buck, turned Broadside, on an old access rd. next to the Corn. I used to still Hunt a lot, in Ohio, Bow Hunting, when I wasn't in a tree stand. It really, has Helped me Elk Hunting out West, as Still Hunting, is Mostly the preferred method, as most of you know. I'm no expert by any means, just another Hunter, who Enjoys the Sport, and is willing to share some experiences, and stories, and always willing to Learn from others, as I swore Back in the Day, I would only, shoot with Fingers, and Here I am, with a Release, as my Son Bought me a New Scott,
Finger Release for Christmas. Today, there are so many products on the Market, and were all a little Different. What might work for me, isn't necessarily, what you might like, or what works for you!
JMO!!!
Safe Hunting!

HS58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
But how fast does an arrow decelerate?

If it leaves at 300 what is it doing 50 yards out?

But I totally agree the animal at 60 yards out has less than 0.75 seconds to react.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Angus1895
But how fast does an arrow decelerate?

Good question. Faster than you'd think is my answer.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Just a lot of really good info and conversation here!
So we did some more shooting today, and getting adjusted more to the newer set up than I'm accustomed to.
Shooting some arrows through paper at a very close range, just to tune the bow as close to perfect as we can get.
Stripped the fletching off of an arrow, and made up the difference in weight, with a little electrical tape.
This has been our system for a long time, and it's not only proven but it works very well!
So it tells us the path of the arrow and helps us to tune the bow with the arrows,and visa versa.
Current set up; Bow Tech-Reign 7
Arrow Weight 377 Grains
Arrow Speed 277 FPS 64.2 Ft/Lbs. Arrow Drop
10 yds. 272.54 FPS. 62.1 Ft/Lbs. " " .5"
20 yds. 268.14 FPS. 60.1 Ft/Lbs. " " 0,9"
40 yds. 259.52 FPS. 56.3 Ft/Lbs. " " 1.8"
50 yds. 255.3 FPS. 54.5 Ft/Lbs. " " 2.3"
100 YDS. 235.06 FPS. 46.2 Ft/Lbs Arrow Drop 5.1"

So the plan is to keep working on Form, and Conditioning all Winter, and By spring to be able to Crank the Bow,
up Gradually, increasing the poundage, and everything else that will change with that along the way.
My Personal Goal at my older age is to eventually get up to 70 Lbs. Draw weight, and 300 FPS. Arrow Speed!
Naturally everything else will change with that and the Arrows will be quicker, and won't drop as much!
It's a Huge time commitment, and Dedication, like anything else, and I realize that it's not for everyone.
This is just the way My Son and I do it, along with a Few other guys, and it's a challenge.
It's not for everyone, and again, there's a huge Dedication to practice, and Time commitment,
almost to the point, it's a life style change, as far as dedicating the time to shoot, and practice, and keeping in shooting shape, and Condition!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 01/15/22.

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
OP

They don't see the arrow and duck under it, there's plenty of videos of game jumping the string without looking.

They hear the startling noise. They hear the bow. They hear the arrow. It spooks them and they bolt.

In doing so they squat down to get a good launch, as everything else does, even people. Everything gets lower, gets their CG down, so they can push off. That's all they're doing. It isn't The Matrix with Neo dodging bullets he sees coming.

The speed of sound is ~1125 fps, the noise is getting there far sooner than the arrow - with animals that are always on alert for predators 24/7/365 with phenomenal hearing and reflexes.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Once Again I do Agree!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

720 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,607 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.