24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I started reading the Terminal List Series by Jack Carr in mid-December and I haven’t been able to put these books down. Carr is a former Navy SEAL and James Reece, the main protagonist, draws on the author’s experience. The books are a mix of political thriller and action, think of the movies Shooter, Enemy of State, and Bourne Identity all wrapped up in one. What Carr is very detailed on is the weapons, equipment, vehicles, etc. that the characters use.

I’m already on the third book. The writing in the first book was somewhat of a weak link at times, but I feel like Carr eventually found his stride as an author. Novels are very fast paced.

Has anyone else read these books?

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Overall I like them, I've read the first four and will read the new one. Agreed on him being very detailed in describing clothing, equipment weapons & vehicles. Sometimes IMO seems a little too much. If I had to pick the book I liked best it would be the first one. He made no bones about who he considered the enemies of America were/are including internally. They had different names but you could tell who he was talking about.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have read the first 3 I havent read the last 2, you just added 2 books to my reading list I appreciate it.

S
OP Offline
S
I agree sometimes it’s a bit much. Couple examples:
-Being reminded of what holster Reece uses everytime he equips his handguns.
-The rifle and it’s history and how it likely got into a bad guy’s hands only for said bad guy to be killed in the next paragraph.
-The service history, training, and family history of a character, only for that character to be killed a couple pages later.

As with any fiction, even truer in this genre, a healthy dose of suspension of disbelief is required and has to be accepted by the reader, otherwise they are going to have a bad time reading these books and similar books.

Overall, these books have been a fun, fast paced read that keeps you engaged. The fact that most chapters are relatively short compared to other novels is a good part of making this fun and engaging.

Last edited by SnakeBoots; 01/18/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't read the books but listen to Jack Carr's podcast. He is an interesting guy, great military record and he interviews interesting characters on the show. The books are on my short list.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dig the books. I agree some of the equipment stuff (which I do enjoy) does break the pace of the reading for me.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming TV show. I really hope it's done well.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just got the first three books, liking it so far.
Plan on watching “The Terminal List” series and see how it compares.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've read the first three and watched the series. I like them pretty well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It'll be interesting to see how the tv series handles who the bad guys are and how high up they go. I'll be surprised if they're the same ones in the book.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like I'm wrong so far on the tv series. Just read about the reviews on this, around 60% of the "critics" didn't like it, "anti-woke", etc. but 95% of the viewing audience did. Got to give it a try.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I read a couple bad reviews by professional critics, that made me think it must be good.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Watched the first episode last night. So far good enough to keep watching.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am liking the TV series. Couple of things differ from the books, but nothing that changes the plot. My 15yo is watching it with me and is digging it. I truly hope he is getting the meaning behind much of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its entertaining on a summer day. I don’t know who else he can kill in the next season because everyone is dead already.

I like the small things I caught that might go over other’s heads. One was when he told the apartment manager his name was”Roy Boehm”.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
384 members (204guy, 280shooter, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 47 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,595
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.