Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Looking at getting a all numbers matching with paperwork from CMP with the crate and bayonet.
First time buying something like this can someone tell me what I'm looking at?

Clos

NRA Life Member

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Some think less of H&R as they aren't of WWII vintage but it will be very rare to find anything outside a collector's vault that hasn't been rebuilt a number of times. I have one of the last H&R guns and really like it. Being mine was made after Korea, it is all original which may or may not increase its value.

C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Some think less of H&R as they aren't of WWII vintage but it will be very rare to find anything outside a collector's vault that hasn't been rebuilt a number of times. I have one of the last H&R guns and really like it. Being mine was made after Korea, it is all original which may or may not increase its value.

What is something like this going in today's market?

Clos

NRA Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a 50’s H&R Garand a few years ago, excellent shape. It came with a handful of goodies, $1100 local FTF.

Just throwing it out there as reference, kinda an average-ish deal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sourdough44
I bought a 50’s H&R Garand a few years ago, excellent shape. It came with a handful of goodies, $1100 local FTF.

Just throwing it out there as reference, kinda an average-ish deal.

I had one, also. If I remember things right, it was a CMP Correct-grade, appearance was very nice.

For the time I owned it, it was what you could expect of a Garand, that is, very reliable and reasonably accurate.

Ended up trading it for a Carbine.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by clos
Looking at getting a all numbers matching with paperwork from CMP with the crate and bayonet.

Is this an auction rifle?

Because that animal no longer exists at the CMP.

Closest you'll get is a Service Grade rifle w/ an H&R receiver.

As for the H&R's - they are late production and generally very nice.

Some like just H&R's, others like one of each manufacturer.

I have all SA Service Grades.

Pro Tip:

If it's Luck-of-the-Draw?

Buy several at once, keep the one(s) that sing to you, and then sell off the also-runs at or above acquisition cost.

GR

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
No idea what today's market is running, I would guess the above $1100 would be a good average for just the gun. But, then I may be off a fair bit in these times.

C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
It's from a private seller 85 yr old vet down in Colorado Springs that says he has all the paperwork that came with it when he bought it from CMP.

Clos

NRA Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you talk price with him? With inflation up, $$ in a bank account just goes backwards anyway. At least that’s part of my reasoning buying a few extra shooting irons. I know everyone has their ways to invest at an almost sure 15% a year, seem to anyway.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a near new H&R I bought at a gun show a few years back for $950. I was glad to get it. The H&Rs were once poo pooed because they were all manufactured post WW2. That has changed. They are now viewed as the most economical way to get a good condition, original rifle. That's just my opinion.

Mine is of good quality, accurate, and functions properly. I see nothing at all wrong with them.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a M-1 Garand made by Springfield. It is a National Match with serial # 6095640 in very good shape I have had it for several years and have only shot it twice with a 148 grain bullet powered by 47 grains of IMR 4064. It shot fine and reloaded itself fine. I have a gun nut friend pestering me to buy it. Did not get the paperwork but it was built in the late 50s I believe. I want all it is worth. What is the going price?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
A “”6-million” numbered Springfield will run $1250 from the CMP - IF you could buy one directly from the CMP. Both stores are currently closed - the Talladega Shooting Park store is the only walk-in store open at the moment - and the stock changes by the week. When word gets out there’s been a restock - they get hit hard and fast. I looked at several 6 million Springfields there late last Fall - they’re nice rifles - mainly due to very few in that serial range being issued to the field, they were stored for decades.

Street price in the mid-East Coast is typically $200-500 higher than what the CMP price is - sometimes more if the right buyer is interested, and rifle is clean.

Just watched two Rack grade Winchesters sell for $1400 each, and they were beat up - only one had the WP barrel, but it was 3+, 4+ on wear. All other parts were other manufactured, and stocks were not marked, or had been sanded away.

Last edited by AH64guy; 01/17/22.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by clos

At the OP:

IMHO - if it’s a single rifle crate - it’s a recent display case with NO historical value, it’s nice but not authentic WW2. James River Armory, the commercial Springfield Armory have offered “rebuilt” Garnds in the past twenty years with a display crate for the rifle.

“Numbers matching” generally means the receiver serial number and the barrel date are in alignment with the age of both. Everything else on the rifle has a drawing number that changed over time as mods were made - most parts had a manufacture name on them, but that doesn’t equate to “right” in all cases - as many times as these rifles were leased and sold - odds of a fully correct rifle are lottery winning high.

Last edited by AH64guy; 01/17/22.
C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks guys for the info

Clos

NRA Life Member

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I’m just guessing, but probably 1200-1500 now?

C
clos Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by sourdough44
Did you talk price with him? With inflation up, $$ in a bank account just goes backwards anyway. At least that’s part of my reasoning buying a few extra shooting irons. I know everyone has their ways to invest at an almost sure 15% a year, seem to anyway.

Yea looks like 1700-1800 range. He has two.

Clos

NRA Life Member

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That too rich for my blood. You might want to check completed auctions on gunbroker.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a $1500 M1 today is a $2000 M1 5 years from now. They aren't being made anymore. An H&R is a good rifle.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
I have a M-1 Garand made by Springfield. It is a National Match with serial # 6095640 in very good shape I have had it for several years and have only shot it twice with a 148 grain bullet powered by 47 grains of IMR 4064. It shot fine and reloaded itself fine. I have a gun nut friend pestering me to buy it. Did not get the paperwork but it was built in the late 50s I believe. I want all it is worth. What is the going price?

Do a check and confirm the rifle is a "real" issue National Match. I was thinking the 6 million serial number range was too high. Unfortunately, there are copies and forgeries for National Match rifles. If you have a real one it would probably add $500 to $1000 to the value. Not everyone is looking for a National Match rifle. If you find the right guy you could do well above $1000 more than a service grade rifle. Most of the National Match rifles I have seen set on a sellers tables for years and show after show because they are priced way out of line for what a person will pay for a service grade rifle.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Hastings

Do a check and confirm the rifle is a "real" issue National Match. I was thinking the 6 million serial number range was too high. Unfortunately, there are copies and forgeries for National Match rifles. If you have a real one it would probably add $500 to $1000 to the value. Not everyone is looking for a National Match rifle. If you find the right guy you could do well above $1000 more than a service grade rifle. Most of the National Match rifles I have seen set on a sellers tables for years and show after show because they are priced way out of line for what a person will pay for a service grade rifle.

kwg

The old doctor that gave it to me is dead now. He claimed to have the paperwork but mislaid it somewhere. His house was an unruly museum and archive. He told me he shot it in competitions. How do I tell if it is authentic? I really believe he at least thought it was.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 53 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.