Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Hello hello,

I have decided I would like to start reloading, and would like some opinions on the gear/equipment I should get.
I prefer to use factory ammo, but I just bought a 280 ackley and would like to have more options with it, and use the bullets I want to use.

So having said that, the .280ai is the only cartridge I plan on loading for. This will be my first foray into reloading, and I have absolutely zero experience with it.

What do you guys reccomend for getting started with all of the equipment I will need? The only thing I have decided is I would like it all to be fairly simple, small single stage press, easy to use scale, etc.
Should I start off with a press kit to get most of it in one package? Which one is a good one to get? Where should I go for dies?
Also what else is not included in the kit that I will need to purchase?
What is a good or a couple good reloading manuals to have on hand?
I would like to keep the price point in the lower to middle of the road options.

Currently the only thing i have is a solid work bench. Other than that I am empty handed.
Jack

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Lee Kit & Dies.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
RCBS press....used or new.

I like Forster dies (if you can't afford them I would go with RCBS or Hornady)....used or new.

You'll need a good scale an RCBS is hard to beat....used or new.

Powder trickler....used or new.

Pick up a used Wilson case trimmer on here or ebay....best there is and they last forever.

Don't go cheap on a dial caliper (you could make do with a cheap one) but I'd suggest buying a used Starrett or Brown and Sharpe in their case....look on ebay.\ used.

Later comes the Stoney point tool and bullet comparators to measure with.

Remember cheap tools tend to follow you around for a long time.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by LFC

I like Forster dies (if you can't afford them I would go with RCBS or Hornady)....used or new.

Pick up a used Wilson case trimmer on here or ebay....best there is and they last forever.

Don't go cheap on a dial caliper (you could make do with a cheap one) but I'd suggest buying a used Starrett....look on ebay.\ used.

The above ^^^ and look at the Lee 280 Rem 3 piece die set (seater, full length sizer, and factory crimp die) add to this a Lee collet neck die and a Redding body die. Then later on look at a Forester bullet seating die as the Lee seater die will produce < 0.001" runout pretty much most of the time.

The 280 Rem set is used to form brass from other cases such as 30-06, 270, and 280.

For the 280 ai I use 30-06 cases , they come out a bit short but that has not been detrimental to function or accuracy, just ensure carbon is removed when cleaning the barrel.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Kit.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by LFC

Don't go cheap on a dial caliper (you could make do with a cheap one) but I'd suggest buying a used Starrett or Brown and Sharpe in their case....look on ebay.\ used.

About says it all^^^^

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jack,

Adding to what others have suggested while thinking trim & simple.

If you go with Lee Dies, you’ll also get a shell holder for your press. Lee also has a simple priming tool - ram prime - isn’t bad & uses your shell holder.

If you prefer digital scale, Frankfort Arsenal has a $20 model that works pretty good - faster than a balance beam & much more compact.

A cheap funnel is very handy

A loading block to hold your cases

Maybe a primer flipper if you don’t go with a hand priming tool.

Good luck on supplies - it’s a challenging time as I’m sure you’re aware.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 01/17/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Probably going to take some grief but. If I was going to start over I would start with a Forster COAX press. They're in stock at Brownells right now. Buy once and cry once.

Do I have to have it to make good ammo? NO but they have reputation for making great ammo and their design is really solid.

They don't make 280AI so I would get a Redding Competition neck sizing die set appropriate bushing/s trimmer Wilson appropriate bushing/s, powder measure you pick just get a good one, priming tool RCBS model 90200, universal decapping die. Components what I could find.

Loading for multiple calibers probably a Redding T7

Good luck and shoot straight ya'll

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I hate to see Frankfort Arsenal tools even mentioned I'm a pretty good judge of quality and everything I've saw with that name looks cheap...their press looks to be a cheap made Chinese knock off of a Forster Coax.

Lee loading dies....I been watching Lee dies and tools since their inception....I'm not saying you can't load precision ammo with them I'm just saying I'm not going to.

When I saw they used an O ring under their die lock rings I just looked the other way.

I recently bought a Lee depriming die works okay I replaced the die lock with the O ring with a Hornady.

Lee hand primers are junk only a matter of when it will break not if it will break....compared to an RCBS hand primer the Lee is junk.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Recently a buddy asked me if I could make him some reloads for a rifle he has....my reply was I don't lake reloads I make precision ammo tailored to a specific gun.

There is a difference....

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The OP mentioned keeping costs down, so the Forster is irrelevant. I've been using an inexpensive Lyman Brass Smith Ideal press for a while now. It's a cast iron, open face C shape press. I've full length sized a large number of 308 and 30-06 sized cases with no problems whatsoever. It has also served to assemble very straight cartridges. According to the OP he won't be full length resizing machine gun fired 7.62x51 cases to fit a tight 308 Palma chamber, nor will he be swaging belts onto 25-06 cases for loading a 240 Weatherby. No need for something like a Redding Ultramag either.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Lyman made quality products for sure just not very common.

Here's an RCBS press about as cheap as you'll see them priced.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-Rock-...m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks everyone, this thread is really a big help to me, opens my eyes as well as will let me focus on the important things.
I am definitely cost oriented as math man said, but I also hate cheaply made products.
Thanks Lfc and others for the good comments again, I am taking all of this down on paper so I can purchade what I need as the opportunity comes.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JackVliet
Thanks everyone, this thread is really a big help to me, opens my eyes as well as will let me focus on the important things.
I am definitely cost oriented as math man said, but I also hate cheaply made products.
Thanks Lfc and others for the good comments again, I am taking all of this down on paper so I can purchade what I need as the opportunity comes.

For emphasis I'll repeat that the basic Lyman press I mentioned is cast iron, not pot metal or aluminum as are other low cost options.

Note: I am well aware of some very high quality presses made from aluminum, but those are a different animal than what's being discussed here.

Last edited by mathman; 01/17/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tzone

That's exactly where I'd start.^^^ Also, I have to say this: Guys suggesting all the comparators and chidt need to learn how to find the lands without all the costly gadgets. Most load manuals will teach you this. Soot the bullet or use a sharpie, no need for extra expense. You can also use your rifles chamber to set your dies with. These same guys are probably the ones that say they don't save any money reloading their own ammo... They may not at the rate they are going. Expensive as hell die sets, when they would have been just fine with RCBS you can buy at Walmart. The list goes on.......The op is looking to keep costs down, but getting misinformation regarding some extra non needed expenses.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LFC
I hate to see Frankfort Arsenal tools even mentioned I'm a pretty good judge of quality and everything I've saw with that name looks cheap...their press looks to be a cheap made Chinese knock off of a Forster Coax.

Lee loading dies....I been watching Lee dies and tools since their inception....I'm not saying you can't load precision ammo with them I'm just saying I'm not going to.

When I saw they used an O ring under their die lock rings I just looked the other way.

I recently bought a Lee depriming die works okay I replaced the die lock with the O ring with a Hornady.

Lee hand primers are junk only a matter of when it will break not if it will break....compared to an RCBS hand primer the Lee is junk.

…” I would like to keep the price point in the lower to middle of the road options.”

As the OP states - hence my responses.

Cheers!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Two tools you won’t catch me ever giving up.

RCBS Hand priming took
RCBS Chargemaster Lite

The chargemaster is expensive, but measuring out powder is one of my least favorite things to do!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Also, I’d check out Lee’s hand trimming tool. For one cartridge, it’s pretty solid. I’m looking for a better way to do bulk trimming. Trimming is another painful step for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That's exactly where I'd start.^^^ Also, I have to say this: Guys suggesting all the comparators and chidt need to learn how to find the lands without all the costly gadgets. Most load manuals will teach you this. Soot the bullet or use a sharpie, no need for extra expense. You can also use your rifles chamber to set your dies with. These same guys are probably the ones that say they don't save any money reloading their own ammo... They may not at the rate they are going. Expensive as hell die sets, when they would have been just fine with RCBS you can buy at Walmart. The list goes on.......The op is looking to keep costs down, but getting misinformation regarding some extra non needed expenses.

Hot damn man, you just set the narrative on here back 50 years. Old school stuff right there. Works too.

Good post.

Swifty
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think it’s funny when a guy worries about how another guy spends his money.

Many would think a bunch of overlapping guns to shoot holes in paper is a waste of money.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.