-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a 16kW Generac natural gas on a 3200 sq ft home. A 3 ton and a 4 ton central AC units, 2 refrigerators, a freezer, a 2100 sq ft detached garage............

The generator runs everything with only one hitch needing addressed. In the summer if the power went out with both AC units running, the generator bogged attempting to roll them both back on while they were still fully up on compression. Internal timers on the two thermostats to space the startup out by a couple minutes from one unit to the other solved that.

Just a whisker over $4000 with the 200A ATS

We freakin' LOVE our Generac !!!

Last edited by Yoder409; 12/31/21.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Was in you shoes almost a year ago. Generact gave me a quote of 8800 for a 22kw and kohler gave me a quote of 12k for a 20kw.

Did some research a 20kw will run everything in my 2100sq foot home and my 32x48’ garage.

Did more research. I bought a new 20kw kohler for 6200.00, built my own pad for 150.00, bought a 500 gal propane tank for 1500.00, and kohler requires one of their techs do the electrical install. Required for the 2000hr and 7 year warntee. That cost me 1k.
Don’t think it could be done for any less.

We live remote, our power was off 9 times last year, longest it was off was 4 days. Wife said that is enough. All is good now.

You don’t have to spend a fortune, and I’m pretty sure you do not need a generator over 22kw.

We went with kohler due to them building a better unit.

Don't gobble at me
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Fullfan
Was in you shoes almost a year ago. Generact gave me a quote of 8800 for a 22kw and kohler gave me a quote of 12k for a 20kw.

Did some research a 20kw will run everything in my 2100sq foot home and my 32x48’ garage.

Did more research. I bought a new 20kw kohler for 6200.00, built my own pad for 150.00, bought a 500 gal propane tank for 1500.00, and kohler requires one of their techs do the electrical install. Required for the 2000hr and 7 year warntee. That cost me 1k.

We live remote, our power was off 9 times last year, longest it was off was 4 days. Wife said that is enough. All is good now.

You don’t have to spend a fortune, and I’m pretty sure you do not need a generator over 22kw.

who told you kohler built a better unit.....kohler rep?....bob

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Running three tanning beds....

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Being where you are I’ll off you some valuable advice for whatever unit you end up with. Cover every nook, crook, crack, and cranny of it with mouse proofing wool. Then go over every louvre on the hoods with fine screen mesh to keep the dirt daubers out.
Generac units have plant based wiring insulation and the mice will destroy the harness if they’re allowed to get in.

Also check the fit of the timing cover on the engine and silicone any openings. I have had several that needed to be torn down after dirt daubers got in the timing cover and built a nest on the timing belt. When the unit starts it will jump time as the dirt nest is pulled between the belt and the cam pulley. The less expensive units with the Cherry engine will bend a valve when it happens.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by TheKid
Being where you are I’ll off you some valuable advice for whatever unit you end up with. Cover every nook, crook, crack, and cranny of it with mouse proofing wool. Then go over every louvre on the hoods with fine screen mesh to keep the dirt daubers out.
Generac units have plant based wiring insulation and the mice will destroy the harness if they’re allowed to get in.

Also check the fit of the timing cover on the engine and silicone any openings. I have had several that needed to be torn down after dirt daubers got in the timing cover and built a nest on the timing belt. When the unit starts it will jump time as the dirt nest is pulled between the belt and the cam pulley. The less expensive units with the Cherry engine will bend a valve when it happens.

Hahaha!

Valuable indeed!

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by logger
Originally Posted by Brad
27 KW is plenty big for most homes. Had one installed on a 10,000 sf house last year and it powers the bulk of what’s important. But I did have a client request a 32 KW for a 5,000 sf house I built for him… it powers nearly everything. For $2,000 I’d say go bigger! And for anyone outside of the lowlands reading this, a generator loses 3% output for every 600’ of elevation gain so there is that to consider… almost everything I build is above 4,800’.

Brad - is the 3% output loss also true with a turbo charged engine (i.e. ours is a 24 kW turbo diesel) or just a normally aspirated engine?

Logger, you've got me on that one. Not sure as I've only ever dealt with NG and LP units for clients.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I know nothing about their back up generator's, but the portables they "used" to make were trash. I cringe when i see one of their big units like this based on the junk they used to sell.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell, we get by on an 8K portable dual fuel. We just don't run things like the oven (can use the gas grill if we needed to) or AC (we only turn it on a few times a year). Our hot water, stove, heat, and dryer are all propane.

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Longbob
I am having a survey done in about 3 weeks for a whole house backup generator. The initial estimate was that I would need a 27 kw natural gas generator, but I suspect it might be a little on the small side. The 32 kw generator wasn't materially more expensive and I may go that route. One of the significant differences is that the 27 kw natural gas generator is naturally aspirated where the 32 kw natural gas generator is the same engine, but turbocharged.

I have no idea the reliability for these types of engines in a emergency generator, but was hoping someone here had some experience. Go normally aspirated if it is just enough or up for the extra with the turbo charged unit?

A little over a year ago I. had the 32 kw installed. Went for the turbo since I live at 5370 feet above sea level. Very glad for the upgrade. Nevada Energy is starting to follow the PG&E doctrine and is threatening to kill the power in my area during red flag days.

I'm very happy with mine and at 130 amps output it'll do for anything at my 3000 sf house and three car garage. The 2.4 liter Mitsubishi engine with turbo and after cooler are super quiet and way quieter than my folks 22 kw air cooled unit.

The same motor turbo unit will run up to 60 kw generators but at some level which I don't recall they bump the rpms to 3200 opposed to 1600 rpm that the 32 kw runs. One outlier is the 48 kw which runs a 5.4 liter V-8 naturally aspirated.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
27Kw is roughly 100A at 240v and 200A at 120v. It's pretty simple math.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by Fullfan

who told you kohler built a better unit.....kohler rep?....bob

No sir, hours and hours of research,

Don't gobble at me
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I have a 24 Kw natural gas Generac whole house backup. I don't think you need to power every single circuit in your home but if you want to, I suspect the 32 Kw will do the job. You may want to see what the wiring price difference between the 2 sizes is.

This was a flyer that I picked up from our local Costco and called them. The 27 kw was quoted at $21,000 installed and the 32 kw was $23,000 installed, but this is before the survey. It was an estimate, but wasn't materially different for me if it was slightly higher or lower once they look at it.

I had the survey for my 200A service that powers my home and pole barn and after working the numbers recommended a Generac 24kw natural gas unit installed for just under $10k, they included 7 years warranty and 0% financing.

The only issue is the wait time which is 8 months,,,,

Ted
L
Longbob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by old_willys
I have a 24 Kw natural gas Generac whole house backup. I don't think you need to power every single circuit in your home but if you want to, I suspect the 32 Kw will do the job. You may want to see what the wiring price difference between the 2 sizes is.

This was a flyer that I picked up from our local Costco and called them. The 27 kw was quoted at $21,000 installed and the 32 kw was $23,000 installed, but this is before the survey. It was an estimate, but wasn't materially different for me if it was slightly higher or lower once they look at it.

I had the survey for my 200A service that powers my home and pole barn and after working the numbers recommended a Generac 24kw natural gas unit installed for just under $10k, they included 7 years warranty and 0% financing.

The only issue is the wait time which is 8 months,,,,

How long ago was this? There seems to be a huge jump in price between the 24 kw and the 27 kw from what I am seeing online between the Guardian and Protector series.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

OMG that price sounds high as hell.We had a generac 17kw (LP) installed 12 years for a grand total $4650.Have prices gone up that high that nuts?I am a retired electric lineman and 27-32 kw is a lot of power.What are trying to do run 2 city blocks of houses?

Last edited by coobie; 12/31/21.
L
Longbob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by coobie

OMG that price sounds high as hell.We had a generac 17kw (LP) installed 12 years for a grand total $4650.Have prices gone up that high that nuts?I am a retired electric lineman and 27-32 kw is a lot of power.What are trying to do run 2 city blocks of houses?

There is a big jump in price from the Guardian and Protector series. It looks like the Protector series starts at 27 kw and higher. I see some think that is way too much generator, but I listed the electrical needs and it almost appears on the edge. I am running 17 tons of air conditioning at peak times along with 3 full size refrigerators, electric stove/oven and a swimming pool. Those are just the big items.

I have run 6 kw and 8 kw generators in two different RVs. The 6 kw would barely run the two air conditioners and would shed one if I tried to use the microwave. The 8 kw generator ran both air conditioners and microwave ok along with some other small appliances like an air fryer or hair dryer at the same time, but you couldn't go much beyond that without tripping the main breaker.

I don't want to be relegated to picking and choosing what I can run or not run as far as air conditioning, cooking, and normal household functions. I won't run my welder while I am on backup power, but in the heat of the summer I don't see the need to leave my household short if I can get the right backup generator. It would be nice to have things as uninterrupted as possible plus things like garage doors, security system, wifi, and other things function as intended. Otherwise I don't see the point in having a backup if it cannot truly backup what I have.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

There is a big jump in price from the Guardian and Protector series. It looks like the Protector series starts at 27 kw and higher. I see some think that is way too much generator, but I listed the electrical needs and it almost appears on the edge. I am running 17 tons of air conditioning at peak times along with 3 full size refrigerators, electric stove/oven and a swimming pool. Those are just the big items.

I have run 6 kw and 8 kw generators in two different RVs. The 6 kw would barely run the two air conditioners and would shed one if I tried to use the microwave. The 8 kw generator ran both air conditioners and microwave ok along with some other small appliances like an air fryer or hair dryer at the same time, but you couldn't go much beyond that without tripping the main breaker.

I don't want to be relegated to picking and choosing what I can run or not run as far as air conditioning, cooking, and normal household functions. I won't run my welder while I am on backup power, but in the heat of the summer I don't see the need to leave my household short if I can get the right backup generator. It would be nice to have things as uninterrupted as possible plus things like garage doors, security system, wifi, and other things function as intended. Otherwise I don't see the point in having a backup if it cannot truly backup what I have.
You must have one HUGE ass house.I would go with 27kv plus.

Last edited by coobie; 12/31/21.
L
Longbob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L

You must have one HUGE ass house.I would go with 27kv plus.

House is 5,400 sq ft under air with two 5 ton units and a 3 ton unit. My shop is 1,200 sq ft and 20' ceilings with a 4 ton unit. The house and shop are very well insulated and the units run when needed, but they all 4 can be running at the same time. Highest electrical and water bill I have is about $700 for maybe August and September, but I generally average about $450/mo including electricity/gas/water/sewage/garbage. I sit on just under an acre so my water bill can hurt sometimes.

L
Longbob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I was closer than I thought with my original calculation of approximately 49 kw. They came early and did a site survey. They recommended a 48 kw generator to cover my house and shop.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
49kw???? I would get a second opinion and probably a third.

I am running a 24kw Kohler and I have four AHUs, three refrigerators and equal sq/ft. I find it perplexing that you would need twice the capacity as a 24kw unit. Unless of course you're running a manufacturing plant in your shop.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 67 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.