Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
The LGS has a 1939 Pre-War Model 70 30/06 with a lyman 48 peep sight in a conservative 95% condition at 2K. It is very smooth as if the bolt has been worked a lot but it doesn't look like it has been hunted as much or likely at all. The condition is superb. I guess without pictures, it is useless. I am interested in the rifle but the price is a little steep.

Last edited by kaboku68; 01/17/22.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
For an unmolested prewar M/70 .30-06 $2K is certainly more than just a "little steep". If the price is not negotiable I'd pass.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Well, I don’t think that an unmolested Pre War in a conservative 95% condition is more than a little steep. It may be a little, but if I was holding one that was all correct in my hands in that condition and I wanted one, I would be thinking about it for sure! In my area, I don’t see a lot of really high condition ones.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by knivesforme
Well, I don’t think that an unmolested Pre War in a conservative 95% condition is more than a little steep. It may be a little, but if I was holding one that was all correct in my hands in that condition and I wanted one, I would be thinking about it for sure! In my area, I don’t see a lot of really high condition ones.

If uncut/undrilled/untapped I don’t either, especially based on what has sold recently

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Was the stock cut to accommodate the Lyman? If not I would agree with knives and AK. Those prewar model 70’s have in great or even good condition have been bringing good prices lately.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Factory.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unmolestered Pre-wars are getting tough to find. Most have been drilled in the back or side, have been cut for a pad or some genius sunk a compass in the stock. If it truly is 95% $2k is obviously on the upper end but that is their ASKING price too.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Kaboku68: The pre-war Model 70's are virtually all "very slick" when the bolt is worked.
I have a mint condition first year production Model 70 "Bull Gun" that's bolt operation is so smooth its like butter compared to my latter vintage Model 70's!
I don't know the secret to this but I am not surprised by the comparative smoothness of the pre-war Model 70's bolt operation anymore.
Indeed the $2,000.00 asking price is "strong" but if all original and the bore is shiney - I say go for it with your cash in hand offer, starting at $1,750.00 and work up slowly.
Our monies (United States dollars!) are becoming less and less valuable monthly under china joe biden and his ho - as of now $2,000.00 is only worth what $1,860.00 was just last year!
I say buy that rarish Rifle at the best price you can finagle and enjoy the pride of ownership in that classy Rifle.
I bought my first pre-war Model 70 years ago and it has beaten inflation in its appreciation - noticeably!
Finding a factory original unmolested 95% condition pre-war Model 70 is getting to be VERY hard to do.
Best of luck to you with what ever you decide to do.
Long live the Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
For better or worse, I am putting it on layaway today. I will try to get some pictures. He sold me a model 71 for 1100 last Spring so I am unlikely to welch on the offer.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Pre-war Lyman 48's required the stock to be cut. The 48WJS debuted 1947 and was contoured to fit around the stock.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Many of you can throw stones at it but we don't have a lot of old guns that are local that are in this shape. Like I said..I may be paying a premium but I like the shop and he lets me pay in installments. He has given me some of the nicest deals and firearms so I am not grumbling.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It looks like you are paying a premium for a premium rifle. Whatever you gave it is not too much. It may be too early, but it will be that that and more down the road. I think you did great, not just OK, but great.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by sbrmike
It looks like you are paying a premium for a premium rifle. Whatever you gave it is not too much. It may be too early, but it will be that that and more down the road. I think you did great, not just OK, but great.

I agree. They aren’t making anymore of them and they’re rifles that can be used and still gain value. The P64 is the best rifle ever in my opinion and that’s a gem you’ve got right there.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Different Strokes!
I like your purchase, and I would have, and have done in the past, the same type of purchase! They are getting harder to find, and more people are realizing that, for what they are.
I would love to see you put the pics up, and ask on the WACA Forum site. There's a particular gentleman over there,(Louis Luttrell) that is second to none, and really is an Expert in pre 64 model 70's! A lot of good comments above, that I agree with, and a few that I don't. Again Different Strokes! I'm an old school Wood Guy, vs. today's plastic stocks, which do have their place, don't get me wrong.
IMO! This was a great find, for you, and, you have a great working relationship with your LGS, Enjoy!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaboku68
The LGS has a 1939 Pre-War Model 70 30/06 with a lyman 48 peep sight in a conservative 95% condition at 2K. It is very smooth as if the bolt has been worked a lot but it doesn't look like it has been hunted as much or likely at all. The condition is superb. I guess without pictures, it is useless. I am interested in the rifle but the price is a little steep.

Seems a bit pricy. I bought this one last year. A March 1938 build one, for $900. It is not original though as it had been drilled and tapped and a Tilden safety installed but it and the 2.5X Lyman Alaskan are certainly period correct. Overall I'd say NRA Very good condition (on the antique guns scale)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Other pics and thread @ https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...bought-a-time-capsule-today#Post15446868

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I would say yours is half the gun, based on the photos.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunswizard
For an unmolested prewar M/70 .30-06 $2K is certainly more than just a "little steep". If the price is not negotiable I'd pass.

Unmolested... illustrated on page 60 in Roger Rules "The Rifleman's Rifle"

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Well, now we're talking pinnacle. That is a beauty Whitebird, you have some exceptional Winchesters.

Last edited by knivesforme; 03/10/22.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Whitebird

You’re just horrible!

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Whitebird

You’re just horrible!

Keeping it real... smile.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 65 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.