Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I think that both environmental regulations and market forces will move shooters towards less use of lead ammunition, but it will be uneven state-by-state.

- market forces are already making non-toxic ammunition competatively priced with lead ammunition;
- the continuing documented and widespread accounts of birds (some rare) being poisoned by lead-contaminated game carcasses convince more people to hunt with less lead;
- target ranges will continue to be an accepted outlet for lead ammunition, as will most private lands, so ammo manufacturers are willing to diversify their product line with new and old projectiles, rather than just fight transition away from lead;

And there are other market and dietary factors that influence this trend in other countries. Realize that Britain is about to outlaw all game hunting with lead. Why? Because much (and in some cases the majority... i.e. pheasant) of the harvest is sold into the human consumption market. Processors and consumers want birds shot with steel because it is easy to detect and remove from carcasses during processing, whereas lead is much more difficult to detect and considered a dangerous contaminant when left in the food chain.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike78
A man should never be fined for feeding his family.

Right. I caught poachers shooting deer at night from $40-50K 4WD trucks with state of the art firearms and scopes that said they were just trying to feed their family.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt ducks and deer on my own property. I'll do as I wish.
Wrong

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Hastings
Wrong

Right. You keep following the laws of those that wish to destroy the country, I'll do as I wish.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Right. I caught poachers shooting deer at night from $40-50K 4WD trucks with state of the art firearms and scopes that said they were just trying to feed their family.

I hope you charge right out to Oregon and citizen arrest all those breaking the Federal pot laws.

You are another useful idiot for the government

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wrong
Right. You keep following the laws of those that wish to destroy the country, I'll do as I wish.
What 'cha gonna do when they come for you? Shoot 'em?

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Maybe after spending all that cash on trucks and toys, they could not afford groceries?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wrong
What 'cha gonna do when they come for you? Shoot 'em?

I guess you'd call the authorities if your local government mandated masks, right? Gathering sizes? I hope Anne Frank doesn't set up shop in your neighbor's attic

Sieg Heil, Adolf.

Y
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Y
When I heard that Sierra bullets bought Barnes bullets, the first thought that came to my mind was that they see the writing on the wall and are diversifying.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have a few hundred rounds of shot shells containing lead shot, From 00 buck to #10s, in 410, 20, but mostly 12.- mostly pheasant/duck/goose loads, and thousand of square miles to shoot it in, with nary a game warden in sight.

I don't hunt waterfowl anymore, or I'd use them up - the environmental impact would be so close to zero as to be indistinguishable. Only occasionally do I hunt grouse or hare with a shotguns. If I fished much with rod, I'd make some sinkers....

In heavy use waterfowl areas, yeah, lead shot ban makes sense.

Unless I can come up with a cheap 410 - those shot shells will get used. I did score a couple boxes of 7 1/2 (lead) for the 20 a few months ago - those will last me several years. Mostly I shoot grouse with the pellet rifle or a .22 RF(lead ).

I get sufficient accuracy and performance from BG cup and core bullets to continue using them almost exclusively. The price and terminal performance differential to the premiums is such that, tho I've tried them, aren't in my repertoire for the most part. Novelty, mostly.

A slight increase in copper ppm in streams can really ef up the salmon, and maybe some other species, by the way. One of the reasons the Pebble Mine Project is such a bad idea. Will that be used to next ban mono bullets? I wouldn't be surprised.

If mono get to near the same price as c&c, I'll use them even tho I understand copper fouling is somewhat increased, but then I don't shoot enough for it to likely make much difference.

Call me cheap.

Because I am. smile

Last edited by las; 01/24/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It’s just matter of when lead bullets will be banned. There was a lot of hollering over the ban on steel shot 30+ years ago, but ultimately steel shot works fine for waterfowl and other bird hunting.

The feds manage migratory birds, and have been keeping a database on migratory birds that have been diagnosed with lead toxicity—especially raptors.

Whether prohibiting lead bullets starts with specific federal lands, or with state hunting regulations remains to be seen.

The USFWS proposed a ban on lead bullets on federal wildlife refuges during Trump’s era, but was dropped. I fully expect it to be revived with Biden.

A proposed ban on lead bullets was being proposed in one of the upper midwest states (Wisconsin?) recently, but It appears the legislature didn’t pass it.

I think it is likely Colorado will prohibit lead bullets in the near/mid term future, and won’t be surprised if some of the other western states follow suit.

Any new hunting rifle I acquire is getting a “alternative” mono bullet hunting load, just in case…….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Around here,wind turbines are killing more birds than lead bullets

So true…….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Yaddio
When I heard that Sierra bullets bought Barnes bullets, the first thought that came to my mind was that they see the writing on the wall and are diversifying.

According to the rumor I heard that is indeed one of the primary reasons they bought Barnes.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
It’s just matter of when lead bullets will be banned. There was a lot of hollering over the ban on steel shot 30+ years ago, but ultimately steel shot works fine for waterfowl and other bird hunting.

The feds manage migratory birds, and have been keeping a database on migratory birds that have been diagnosed with lead toxicity—especially raptors.

Whether prohibiting lead bullets starts with specific federal lands, or with state hunting regulations remains to be seen.

The USFWS proposed a ban on lead bullets on federal wildlife refuges during Trump’s era, but was dropped. I fully expect it to be revived with Biden.

A proposed ban on lead bullets was being proposed in one of the upper midwest states (Wisconsin?) recently, but It appears the legislature didn’t pass it.

I think it is likely Colorado will prohibit lead bullets in the near/mid term future, and won’t be surprised if some of the other western states follow suit.

Any new hunting rifle I acquire is getting a “alternative” mono bullet hunting load, just in case…….

Actually Trump overturned the EO by Bam Bam banning all lead bullets for use on federal lands.

WASHINGTON— On the last full day of the Obama administration, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issued an order phasing out the use of lead ammunition and fishing tackle on national wildlife refuges by 2022.

Swifty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just look at the 2020 presidential election map . The red states won’t and the blue states will. Here in NYS they are talking about banning gas lawnmowers, ATV’s, chainsaws weedwhackers, banning wood stoves and fireplaces and banning oil or gas furnaces in new construction. These people are bat schitt crazy !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oregon's ODF&W was pushing heavily about 5 years back. While still encouraging use today, the push has lightened up a bit.

I've not jumped off that bridge yet and am curious if the technology is such now that lead free functions well in things like 22 LR's, muzzleloaders, and BPCR units that folks really each out with?

Last edited by 1minute; 01/24/22.

1Minute
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Actually Trump overturned the EO by Bam Bam banning all lead bullets for use on federal lands.

WASHINGTON— On the last full day of the Obama administration, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issued an order phasing out the use of lead ammunition and fishing tackle on national wildlife refuges by 2022.

Swiftly,
You are correct, but it didn’t happen until later in 2017, because USFW republished the proposal on fed wildlife refuges in the Federal Register in early 2017.
There is nothing to stop that proposed rule from being proposed again, and I half expect it to happen.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
No talk of it here, as far as I know.

One curious new thing though (well maybe not that curious come to think of it) is the range where we hold our Schuetzen matches now requires us to fill out a "lead report" at the end of the match. It records how many shots of X weight bullets, even .22's, that we put into the backstops. Funny thing, it's not required by any gov't agency but is requested by The Nature Conservancy (and acquiesced to by the Fish&Game club) , ostensibly because of the scenic Monocacy River that flows past the range - 2 or 3 hundred feet away. We're starting to cast about for a new venue because "once you let the camel stick his nose in the tent..." A shame, because if it comes to that, the weenies win.

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of a bunch of old guys shooting cast bullets at a very leisurely rate out of 120 year old rifles. Gotta make the world safe, clean, and lead free for the snowflakes, don'tcha know.

And how many lead bullets are in that river from the Civil war too!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of these people seem to forget lead come from the earth, otherwise known as the ground.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Same, I started seeing it is an eventual inevitability several years ago. I develop a non-lead load for every rifle I get and stock up on the bullets once I dial it in, just to be ahead of the curve whenever it drops. Still use lead for my plinking, though.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 18 invisible), 1,599 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.