seems like every time I
need to buy some
Thanks for any info

BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I made a couple of gallons with chunked beaver and dobbins bait solution over 10 years ago and still have some left. I use bait sparingly and about 1/3 of my predator sets. The beaver/dobbins works as good as it gets. But it is good to use different baits to give some variety. There are a number of good commercial baits from powder river to any number of small time producers.
I also use muskrat and rabbit carcasses, scraps and trimmings from deer butchering, mice, and bacon grease.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd run a skunk line early to get the little guys off my fox trapping area. I'd cut the tails off, great for a double dirt hole mound with just the tip of the tail sticking out of the top of the mound. I'd cut the two hind legs off and whack them up with an axe to bait sized chunks, fur and all. ziplock sandwich bags full and put in the freezer and thaw out what I needed for the day, great for deep winter. My neighbor would call me when one of his sheep died, I'd give it a day to ripen a little, cut a hind quarter off, chunk it up and bottle it with preservative, the wool makes great lure holder..

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
After you've aged your meat and added your
sodium benzoate, do you stir it everyday, or
leave it be until the S.B. has done it's job?
I've heard both from different people

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Some of you all put a lot of effort into your bait.

I just cut a leg off of the last critter I caught and wire it to a tree, and/or put a chunk directly under the trap to get them to dig at it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just sprinkle it in as I pack the jars and leave it

Just for conversation, can I ask what your trapping to just cut the leg off and wire it to a tree.?

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lynx and wolverine, in cubbies.

It works well for bobcat and racoons too. Pretty much any land based furbearer that isn't a canine, however red fox work the cubbies somewhat often too.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I use lure/urine and old roy can dog food, mixed in some blue-cheese dressing once. Copied that off a kentucky mountain coyote/cat trapper, he hammers coyotes with that recipe, also uses cheap hot-dogs & blue-cheese dressing.

I use a small auger on a mikita 18volt drill, drill in 3-4 holes around your dirt-hole set, teaspoon of bait in each hole. Gets them in the ''I'm going to get my belly full'' mode and get caught.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Usually bait is from a previously caught critter, beaver the most common. After that is could be muskrat or parts of game birds, grouse & such.

Critters in the wild aren’t very picky about the next meal. In a pinch, a can of cheap sardines can work.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I use lure/urine and old roy can dog food, mixed in some blue-cheese dressing once. Copied that off a kentucky mountain coyote/cat trapper, he hammers coyotes with that recipe, also uses cheap hot-dogs & blue-cheese dressing.

I use a small auger on a mikita 18volt drill, drill in 3-4 holes around your dirt-hole set, teaspoon of bait in each hole. Gets them in the ''I'm going to get my belly full'' mode and get caught.

The blue cheese dressing/ground up meat works
ok, but attracts a lot of skunks in this area. I guess
that's just a part of it. They do need to be worked on.
I've been trying to find something that would get
more coyotes and fewer possums and skunks and
coons

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by ol_mike

The blue cheese dressing/ground up meat works
ok, but attracts a lot of skunks in this area. I guess
that's just a part of it. They do need to be worked on.
I've been trying to find something that would get
more coyotes and fewer possums and skunks and
coons

The solution to your problem is location rather than bait/lure. About 10 years ago I trapped an active calf dump on a farm. Caught several yotes and zero possums/skunks. All traps set a couple hundred yards from the dump on the avenues of approach.
Generally, the further off of cover, the fewer egg eaters you will catch. For instance, if you are setting where a farm lane cross a brushy creek ditch, and set right on the brush line, you will catch many more possums/coons than if you set several feet off the brush line. Find terrain features completely in the open and you can almost completely eliminate non-targets.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,831 guests, and 1,421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.