Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
jwp475:
Good afternoon sir, thanks for the reply and info.

I'm afraid I'd have done the exact same thing if I'd seen it in a local shop too! grin

I'll admit I'm not offended whatsoever by straight grips and Schnabel fore end tips - it's a square head heritage thing likely with me.. blush

It would not be the first rifle I'd bought because it had pretty wood either now that I think about it.

Thanks again for sharing what I think is a really uniquely fine looking arm.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by pullit
I have a Ruger Red Label 20 ga that I got new around 1981. It did not take a case of shells and when you hit the release latch the barrels would hit you in the shin. I have a Browning O/U 20 ga that has seen way more action that the Ruger ever has and it is still tight as a drum.

I had a 28 gauge Ruger that I traded for, major POS down the road it went.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
To answer the original question, IMHO, Bill Ruger is not a modern day JMB. That being said, JMB was a gun designer--he never manufactured firearms as he always had someone do that for him (Winchester, Colt, and FN immediately come to mind) and Bill Ruger was a firearms manufacturer that happened to design a few guns (or did someone design them for him?). Its and Apple vs Oranges comparison.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ran into the younger Wisner family and their stuff on a gunshow table. They changed a Ruger red label 20 gauge into an over under big game rifle for a lady in the family.

Since then I have corresponded with old Leroy Wisner about a Savage 340. That guy is really smart. I would infer from this that the red label is a good design,

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I ran into the younger Wisner family and their stuff on a gunshow table. They changed a Ruger red label 20 gauge into an over under big game rifle for a lady in the family.

Since then I have corresponded with old Leroy Wisner about a Savage 340. That guy is really smart. I would infer from this that the red label is a good design,

The Red Label is a very strong shotgun. Strength is like a trademark with Ruger

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Bill Ruger used to brag about how little money he put into his barrels. Ever push a patch through a gorgeous Ruger #1 and feel incredible tight and loose spots, barrel that looked like it had Rail Road tracks in it...then you want to bed it, put an expensive trigger in it trying to get it to shoot? IDIOT I was!.

Later SS Ruger #1's are a fantastic shooting machine compared to the early ones, even though the early ones had amazing wood. I got sucked into 6 of the early ones, then tried to get them to shoot well....like trying to fix a bad girl friend.

Safe Queens in some cases should stay safe queens!!!

Last edited by keith; 01/17/22.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BC30cal
jwp475:
Good afternoon sir, thanks for the reply and info.

I'm afraid I'd have done the exact same thing if I'd seen it in a local shop too! grin

I'll admit I'm not offended whatsoever by straight grips and Schnabel fore end tips - it's a square head heritage thing likely with me.. blush

It would not be the first rifle I'd bought because it had pretty wood either now that I think about it.

Thanks again for sharing what I think is a really uniquely fine looking arm.

All the best.

Dwayne

Dwayne, this is it here

https://www.impactguns.com/Semi-Aut...mited-Edition-of-1500-736676012978-1297/

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Army_PSG
To answer the original question, IMHO, Bill Ruger is not a modern day JMB. That being said, JMB was a gun designer--he never manufactured firearms as he always had someone do that for him (Winchester, Colt, and FN immediately come to mind) and Bill Ruger was a firearms manufacturer that happened to design a few guns (or did someone design them for him?). Its and Apple vs Oranges comparison.

Bill Ruger designed the early Ruger guns (not Winchester, Colt, etc.)which ended up in some interesting details that not many today understand. For one, the tang safety on the Ruger No. 1 doesn't just block the trigger, but the firing-pin fall--like the Model 70 3-position safety. There's plenty of documentation for all this--if you actually look it up instead of "guessing."

Winchester (and other manufacturers) simplified the designs of many John Browning guns for easier manufacturing--including the original "Winchester" single-shot.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Bill Ruger designed the early Ruger guns (not Winchester, Colt, etc.)which ended up in some interesting details that not many today understand. For one, the tang safety on the Ruger No. 1 doesn't just block the trigger, but the firing-pin fall--like the Model 70 3-position safety. There's plenty of documentation for all this--if you actually look it up instead of "guessing."

Winchester (and other manufacturers) simplified the designs of many John Browning guns for easier manufacturing--including the original "Winchester" single-shot.

So enlighten us....help us understand.

I thought the Ruger # 1 was a copy of another single shot ?

Would you call his safety design on the #1 as ground breaking or earth shattering ?

Or was it a slightly modified design that was also copied ?

P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Only a Marketing man can sell a gun "Designed to wear in, not out"

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prose
Only a Marketing man can sell a gun "Designed to wear in, not out"

NAGW, but……
I have eight Rugers in my safe, three Smith & Wessons. I like them all. My Smiths have good triggers and are tight action-wise and are accurate. My Rugers likewise have very good triggers, are tight action-wise, and are accurate. The Rugers have had self performed action and trigger jobs (that’s what gun looney’s do). Only one Smith needed any action work. The Rugers will handle considerably more extreme use than will the Smiths. For that I am thankful for William B. Ruger. I have used firearms in the military designed by John Browning, but I have never owned one. I am aware however of his genius! My reason for posting this is…………comparing the two men is a venture into futility, as is comparing Ruger revolvers to Smith & Wesson’s. I don’t accept hatred for either man. Both had their place in the development of our firearms industry. Personally, I am quite fond of Ruger firearms as I am sure I would be if I owned anything designed by Browning.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by keith
Bill Ruger used to brag about how little money he put into his barrels. Ever push a patch through a gorgeous Ruger #1 and feel incredible tight and loose spots, barrel that looked like it had Rail Road tracks in it...then you want to bed it, put an expensive trigger in it trying to get it to shoot? IDIOT I was!.

Later SS Ruger #1's are a fantastic shooting machine compared to the early ones, even though the early ones had amazing wood. I got sucked into 6 of the early ones, then tried to get them to shoot well....like trying to fix a bad girl friend.

Safe Queens in some cases should stay safe queens!!!

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the first couple years of Ruger No. 1s used Douglas barrels--and shot very well. I know this partly from owning one in .300 Winchester Magnum for a while, which would consistently put 5 shots (not just 3) of good handloads into less than an inch.
Ruger then switched to a different barrel vendor, which usually made good barrels, but occasionally one sucked. This isn't unknown in "vendor" barrels, especially when the company has to provide tens of thousands of barrels for a very successful company.

The improvement in No. 1 accuracy isn't just in the SS models, but all of them. Ruger started hammer-forging their own barrels in the early 1990s, and there was an immediate improvement, both in overall accuracy but consistency. My first No. 1 with the Ruger-made barrels was a .300 Weatherby 1B, that could consistently put five shots into less than an inch. Another 1B in .22 Hornet would group 5 shots into less than 1/2", right out of the box.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

So enlighten us....help us understand.

I thought the Ruger # 1 was a copy of another single shot ?

Would you call his safety design on the #1 as ground breaking or earth shattering ?

Or was it a slightly modified design that was also copied ?

I guess you're going to dance around this ....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

LFC,
Why must you challenge Mule Deer in such a way? MD is probably the most knowledgeable and informative gun writer of our time who gives of his time to try to educate the rest of us, for which I for one am appreciative.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I don't see it as a challenge....any statement is open to question.

He said "not many people understand"....I just asked for help understanding.

Didn't you call it "education" ?

Sorry I didn't lick his nutt sack.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Sockpuppet ???
LFC, Llama Bob, MikeWerner… same, same

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
[quote=LFC]I don't see it as a challenge....any statement is open to question.

He said "not many people understand"....I just asked for help understanding.

Didn't you call it "education" ?

Sorry I didn't lick his nutt sack.

maybe try to be a little more positive ,like has been said Mule Deer has help many of us understand and learn a few things . thank Mule Deer for what you may have learned , try not to piss people off just because you can hide behind a keyboard..

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Trust me I'm just the same in person.....just for you I'll try harder.

Should I drop a few bucks in the offering plate before I ask a question ?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by LFC

why are there so many [bleep] form TN?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by LFC

Your condescending posts are a sure fire way to get banned from certain forums, which would be no loss.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

343 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 41 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,133
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.