Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Tyrone Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody use one of these? Is it worth the extra $$ over a flashcan?

https://www.wittmachine.net/sme-sound-mitigation-equipment-slimline.html

Politics is War by Other Means
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting..............buy one & make a report.

MM

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
there are some YouTube videos on it. Hard to tell how well it works on the video but everyone seems impressed with it.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pardon my ignorance if you will, but what differentiates this from a suppressor?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

Tyrone Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ATF approval?

I wouldn't expect it to make sense.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Pardon my ignorance if you will, but what differentiates this from a suppressor?

I would expect that you are getting very little suppression, instead the noise is being redirected down range. At least that is my experience with the one linear comp that I used. Also, it is not sealed on one end, and doesn't really have anything that I think could be considered baffles.

Of course as Tyrone points out the ATF may decide differently at their pleasure.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
Originally Posted by RiverRider

I would expect that you are getting very little suppression, instead the noise is being redirected down range. At least that is my experience with the one linear comp that I used. Also, it is not sealed on one end, and doesn't really have anything that I think could be considered baffles.

Of course as Tyrone points out the ATF may decide differently at their pleasure.

It’s a sound director - it’s just longer and not sealed - so it bypasses the suppression legal requirements.

The baffles in the long tube will do somewhat of the same job as the can, but you’re not going to reach the same decimal reduction in that length as the true sealed design will.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks.

Looking more closely at the comp assembly, I can see the slots that allow more gas out and qualify it as being unsealed, or whatever the correct term might be.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have two of them.

If you are looking for suppressor, keep looking.

What the SME does do is push the concussion from the muzzle blast down range, and away from you and those shooting close to you.

My 18" .308 will rattle windows a couple miles away on a still night, while hunting hogs in a flat field. The SME takes the concussive blast away. Behind the gun is much better. Farther behind the gun is much, much better! I let my son use my thermal rig .308 on some hogs awhile back, and I was watching (listening) from about 150 yards behind him. He fired 3 shots, and the report was much less than I even expected. Now, in front of the muzzle, I'd expect to hear no difference, as that is where the sound is channeled.

A pretty graphic but simple demonstration can be seen in this video. I get the same results with the one on my .22lr. Makes it pretty quiet!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I have two of them.

If you are looking for suppressor, keep looking.

What the SME does do is push the concussion from the muzzle blast down range, and away from you and those shooting close to you.

My 18" .308 will rattle windows a couple miles away on a still night, while hunting hogs in a flat field. The SME takes the concussive blast away. Behind the gun is much better. Farther behind the gun is much, much better! I let my son use my thermal rig .308 on some hogs awhile back, and I was watching (listening) from about 150 yards behind him. He fired 3 shots, and the report was much less than I even expected. Now, in front of the muzzle, I'd expect to hear no difference, as that is where the sound is channeled.

A pretty graphic but simple demonstration can be seen in this video. I get the same results with the one on my .22lr. Makes it pretty quiet!

That phone call was a bit hilarious!😂

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by joshf303

That phone call was a bit hilarious!😂

laugh laugh

Case in point! grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Tyrone Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking about putting one on a 7.5" 5.56 pistol.
Good use-case for these? I don't want to fsck with NFA cost, hassle & being on their list.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I'm thinking about putting one on a 7.5" 5.56 pistol.
Good use-case for these? I don't want to fsck with NFA cost, hassle & being on their list.

I've not tried them on any short barrels like that, but the physics are the same.

That being said, I've shot an SBR that was suppressed quite a bit. It had a 12" barrel. .223 caliber.

Even with the suppressor, that SBR was about as loud as my 18" .223 was unsuppressed.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 51 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.