-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd have to look this up, but I'd bet that jet fuel and diesel make up a larger share of petroleum use than gasoline. And don't forget the plastics industry. I doubt increasing the numbers of electric cars will have a huge effect on crude oil prices or demand.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I'd have to look this up, but I'd bet that jet fuel and diesel make up a larger share of petroleum use than gasoline. And don't forget the plastics industry. I doubt increasing the numbers of electric cars will have a huge effect on crude oil prices or demand.

I'm pretty sure transportation demand is a huge percentage of petroleum production. I had a college prof who argued that oil and gas were too valuable to be used for transportation because things like fertilizer, pharmaceuticals, and clothing were better uses.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Dear Millenials, I gots me a 600 amp Lincoln welder powered by a Detroit diesel, should I buy an electric car since it looks like I got the charging problem under control?

Fire it up!

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Charges at the Tesla superchargers are not free. But they are not very expensive. Lots cheaper than gasoline.

He said free. and always will be. Guess I have to listen again.

Not that I have a use for it unless they come in 1 ton trucks affordable at some point.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

He said free. and always will be. Guess I have to listen again.

He was just adjusting the price of Tesla stock with that comment.
Being true for just a short time is better than it being a complete 'alternative fact' ๐Ÿ˜‰

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Tesla charging is free? Then why is this on their web site:

The following payment methods are supported:
American Express
Discover
JCB
MasterCard
Visa
Diners Card

โ€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.โ€
โ€• George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What!!! No more bit or dogecoin?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Good grief.

Spend 20,000 to save 5000 in gas...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Dumb question, but what will charging your car every night do to your electric bill? My furnace was broken for 2 weeks, so I was running space heaters. My next electric bill doubled, and it was only for half a month of extra use. I am also skeptical that the power company won't raise rates with all the increased demand.

Electric cars are fast off the line, and probably fun to drive. If that's the reason to buy one, then knock yourself out. If youre buying one thinking you're saving money, then I'm skeptical.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Dumb question, but what will charging your car every night do to your electric bill? My furnace was broken for 2 weeks, so I was running space heaters. My next electric bill doubled, and it was only for half a month of extra use. I am also skeptical that the power company won't raise rates with all the increased demand.

Electric cars are fast off the line, and probably fun to drive. If that's the reason to buy one, then knock yourself out. If youre buying one thinking you're saving money, then I'm skeptical.

If youโ€™re just comparing โ€œfuel costโ€ much of it depends on your location and electric supplier. If your utility has โ€œoff peak meteringโ€, charging the car at night is downright cheap.

My SIL has one in Wisconsin, and his โ€œfuelโ€ bill is about 1/3rd of what it cost to drive his Subaru.

For comparison, those space heaters typically are about 12 amps. Just spit balling, you could probably charge an EV about 150 miles on the same draw in a 24 hr period.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Brother has had Tesla for over a year. He says that charging the Tesla is way cheaper than buying gas. Plus, no spark plugs to change. No oil changes, and no radiator to blow up. There is no radiator.

If brother's battery blows up next week, he will despise the Tesla, as most of y'all do. But so far so good.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
As I have predicted several times in threads like this, the future of long distance electrics lies in "filling stations" where the battery is replaced by robots. It would resemble oil change places. You'd pull in and park over the robot, which would remove the battery from under your vehicle and replace it with a fully-charged one. You'd be billed for the difference in charge state ( a "half tank" of juice versus an empty, etc) and you'd be gone in a few minutes. To facilitate this, there'd be only two or three standardized battery sizes, and vehicles would be designed to facilitate the process. The exchanged ones would be charged at the station and stored for their next use.

You'd only plug in when at home or in town.

Just donโ€™t see that happening. A company couldnโ€™t make any return on its investment doing this. Spend maybe $10,000 per battery and if they charged enough to make a profit it would cost the EV owner way more than using gasoline. They would need 1,000โ€™s of batteries, storage facilities, machinery to change them out, etc etc
When our interstates contain charging grids that will charge EVโ€™s as they are driven is when EVโ€™s become more common than ICE vehicles.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA
Good grief.

He says you can spend $20k for the solar system with batteries. At $4/gal, that's 5000 gal. If you're car gets 25 mpg, that's 125k miles. If it get 30 mpg, that's 150k.

โ€• George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He said free. and always will be.

At the time that video was made it was free to the first buyer for the life of any new Tesla. They stopped doing that some years ago so cars purchased after that have to pay.

They still don't have quick change battery stations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stickfight
He said free. and always will be.

At the time that video was made it was free to the first buyer for the life of any new Tesla. They stopped doing that some years ago so cars purchased after that have to pay.

They still don't have quick change battery stations.

And there wonโ€™t be any battery swap for Teslas for the foreseeable future. The battery packs are a structural component of the cars.

On the other hand, in Taiwan, there are now more battery swap stations for electric scooters than gas stations. Those batteries are light enough in weight even a small person can handle them.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Good grief.

He says you can spend $20k for the solar system with batteries. At $4/gal, that's 5000 gal. If you're car gets 25 mpg, that's 125k miles. If it get 30 mpg, that's 150k.

IF that solar system ONLY EVER produces electricity for the car, and never for the house at all.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Tesla is not accurate on their web site. My brother's Tesla gets 5 miles of driving, for one hour of charging on 110. On the 220 volt, 40 amp charger that I wired up for him, he gets 23 miles of driving for one hour of charging. In ten hours on the 220 he gets a full recharge. Now those superchargers on the interstates are phenomenal, and charge at a rate of 310 miles in an hour.

Another bit of misinformation is maximum range. Supposedly my brother can go 300 miles. But that is if he charges the battery fully. If you always charge the battery all the way, long term it will damage the battery. Brother goes with a 80 per cent charge, and he can go about 220 miles on a charge.
There's a problem when it takes longer to charge a car to go a certain distance than it takes to drive it.

โ€• George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dutch

IF that solar system ONLY EVER produces electricity for the car, and never for the house at all.

Yeah, I think Will said he was air-conditioning his shop with that system while keeping his Tesla charged.

Permanently installed solar systems also add value to homes.
This seldom seems to be taken into consideration with these calculations.

The young guy, Will Prowse that produces these Solar related YouTube videos is pretty solid. I think his information is fairly accurate.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dutch

Yeah, I think Will said he was air-conditioning his shop with that system while keeping his Tesla charged.

Permanently installed solar systems also add value to homes.
This seldom seems to be taken into consideration with these calculations.

The young guy, Will Prowse that produces these Solar related YouTube videos is pretty solid. I think his information is fairly accurate.

Now now donโ€™t go exaggerating like that. Most solar is leased which is a detriment to getting a house loan which is proven. Plus also read where only a few states have proven house value increases due to solar.
Stating as fact solar will increase home value and save money is a government backed farce. Oh and that 30% tax credit for solar goes bye bye this year. So the system price just increased.

Swifty
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.