-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I get the ingenuity, but it ain't a Savage 99 at that point so no thanks.

LOL
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Given my druthers for a heavy bulky semi-auto, I'll take a Garand (and have). On top of that, the .30-06 that a Garand pew pews has got the edge over a .300 Savage, not to mention 8 rounds versus 5 and clip fed to boot. Maybe Old Bill realized he had some tough competition in that department and shelved the idea.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Given my druthers for a heavy bulky semi-auto, I'll take a Garand (and have). On top of that, the .30-06 that a Garand pew pews has got the edge over a .300 Savage, not to mention 8 rounds versus 5 and clip fed to boot. Maybe Old Bill realized he had some tough competition in that department and shelved the idea.

Don't think you'd be in danger of Garand thumb from this one though. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
40+ years of Garand shooting and I've never been bitten.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I could cut the barrel off with a Sawzall and use it for a jackhandle, is it still a 99?

I could cut the buttstock off right behind the pistol grip, saw the barrel off at 12", and shoot from the hip, is it still a Savage 99?

Reminds me of the schit I see for sale sometimes. I tell my wife, just because some asswipe had a stupid idea and decided to build one, doesn't mean I need it.

Watch that PawnStars show and am astounded with the things people value. Some stuffed bears are worth 5 grand but a first edition copy of the book that laid out the groundwork for our republic is only worth $2K. Liberace's chin strap sells for $50K, a rare Pez dispenser $17K, but George Washington's hatchet is worth $27.50 as scrap.

A semi auto Savage 99 is a nothing burger.

LOL
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Tell us how you really feel, Roy!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
A semi auto Savage 99 is a nothing burger.

To you. But, the world doesn't revolve around what any single one of us likes.

There are Ruger collectors. A lot of them. What would the rifle that is essentially the "Ruger Serial Number 1 gun" be worth to one of them? A lot.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by GeneB
There was a patent issued for converting an 1899 to a tube fed slide action - uspto.gov/00753384

Wooa, first I've heard that tidbit!!!??! Any clues if a protype was built?

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tell us how you really feel, Roy!

I'ma lover of the Savage lever action rifle.

Of course Bill Rugers rifle has historical value and general interest, didn't mean to imply it doesn't, I find it interesting. BUT, I'm glad as hell the Savage lever action rifle was left as intended, as a lever action.

When you shoulder a Savage lever action to get on the track of your fleeing quarry, not only the function, but the romance of the rifle comes alive. Three or four shots, bang bang bang, real fast by operation of a lever and getting back on sight afterwards for the followup shots, watching that animal fall at your hand with the grace of a hand operated weapon? You can't put a price on it.

Autoloaders are a wholly soulless mechanism, speaking more to an assembly line than an outdoor hunting experience.

No sir, keep your autoloader no matter the provenance, make mine a Savage Lever Action.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Don't think you'd be in danger of Garand thumb from this one though. grin

Since I shoot left handed I got Garand index finger once, MY TRIGGER FINGER!!!! I did finish the match though. It would have been awkward to push the clip in with my left thumb so I used my index finger. No time to shift my right hand back during rapid fire.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Personally I think all forms of repeating rifles are a passing fad.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I get the ingenuity, but it ain't a Savage 99 at that point so no thanks.

Waaallll, gee Roy, In my comment I wasn't implying I'd wish they'd have marketed Ruger's conversion, probably won't have passed 'patent muster' anyway. Kind of a half-breed homely looking thing. It's just an interesting piece showing the genius of Bill Ruger. Probably what got him hired at Springfield. I'm with you, keep the 99 a 99 lever gun. If Savage had marketed something similar to Remingtons 8/81 models, bet they'd have been a deer hunting favorite over the years. I love lever guns, love some semi-auto's also, same with bolt guns. Came close to having a 'Garand Thumb' once in the early days with one of mine. Saw a picture of a nasty swollen, black and blue thumb from a Garand once, not pretty.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
M1 Thumb sounds better, it kind of rhymes. Garand Thumb, no ring to it. The military school I went to was the oldest school in the country, maybe private school, founded in 1774. The Peace Niks of the 70's killed it, went out of business in 1976. Grades started at 5th grade and went to two years post grad. We were sponsored by the USMC, and were issued M1's. Real ones, not fake white parade guns. The smaller kids were issued 03's. I always thought they were issued the 03's because they were lighter. Turned out it was preventative medicine. The little guys didn't have strong enough hands and thumbs to release the bolt. I heard lots of stories of M1 Thumb, but I never saw a 5th grader running around formation screaming with a Garand hanging off his thumb. When the school closed all of our weapons went back to Quantico. At least 500 M1's, officers were issued 45's, and we had a few Thompsons, don't know what for, we never fired them. Even our tank went to Quantico. I heard it's on display there, maybe a day trip is in order.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Careful, Joe. You might get M3 Butt.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It would be worth it to have that tank in the back yard.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Joe, That tank would take care of your turkey problem. Don

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Loggah
Joe, That tank would take care of your turkey problem. Don

Fill er with #4 and flame away!

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I load a Garand I reach over the bolt and push the Enblock down with my left thumb and hold the bolt with my right hand. Never been bit.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had mastered the trick of "X-ing" 2 rounds in a clip, to be loaded first and followed by a full 8-rounder to satisfy the 10 rounds rapid fire events. Then I learned that they made a special clip to hold those 2 rounds.

There's just something about an M1. Bought my first one a bazillion years ago out of the trunk of a car wherein laid about a dozen of them. The old guy worked for the Army and was in charge of inventorying small arms in depots and armories up and down the east coast. He showed up at the LGS regularly with all kinds of treasures.

I'll betcha Old Bill's semi-auto 99 didn't make that satisfying "ping" sound!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/19/22.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 99guy
When I load a Garand I reach over the bolt and push the Enblock down with my left thumb and hold the bolt with my right hand. Never been bit.

I did it that way when I bought my first M1. Hey, I'll admit it, I didn't have the backbone to do it with right thumb-was intimidated with the thing. Do it once in a while yet as you posted 99guy, but have the right hand thumb proper way figured out.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (338Rules, 35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 18 invisible), 1,346 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,466
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.