Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
went out one night with my 22 and sat on stand, shot at least 40 some squirrels at the feeder, one of the hunter said I got some cleaning to do, I laughed, next morning no more squirrels

BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 158XTP
do they poison hogs in the US? Here in some states pigs outnumber people, literally. A lot get shot, some get trapped, but the vast majority are probably poisoned by landowners and parks authorities. Chemicals of choice are 1080 poison and well anything else a farmer cares to use. The herbicide gramoxone injected into a pigs carcass and left for other pigs to feed will knock them off. Having seen how poisoning kills, shooting is vastly more humane. But maybe an option if its legal where the OP is.

I understand some of that technology has been studied but as far as I know, not much application. Collateral damage is always a concern.

Professional trapping with high tech equipment is the most effective tool we have. At least in our area.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
Why’s everybody always wanting to drag hogs off? I leave the sumbitches laying around all over the countryside. Just split the hide down their back and fold it open a little ways and the coyotes and other pigs will have them slicked down in no time.
There is a problem with that. Dead hogs attract the black vulture. If you own cattle you will find that black vultures prefer fresh meat to stinking meat. If they are hanging around eating a decaying hog and a cow pushes out a fresh calf dozens of vultures will surround her and kill the baby. I drag hogs to the back corner and usually the alligators are waiting if the weather is even slightly warm. We have gators that can pull a 200 pounder into the water and so far the gators haven't taken to attacking cattle.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Why’s everybody always wanting to drag hogs off? I leave the sumbitches laying around all over the countryside. Just split the hide down their back and fold it open a little ways and the coyotes and other pigs will have them slicked down in no time.

Amen brother. Vermin.....it's what they are.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Hastings
There is a problem with that. Dead hogs attract the black vulture. If you own cattle you will find that black vultures prefer fresh meat to stinking meat. If they are hanging around eating a decaying hog and a cow pushes out a fresh calf dozens of vultures will surround her and kill the baby. I drag hogs to the back corner and usually the alligators are waiting if the weather is even slightly warm. We have gators that can pull a 200 pounder into the water and so far the gators haven't taken to attacking cattle.

Around here, carcasses are cleaned to the bone in short order, so it's a non issue. Coyotes and hogs are much more of a threat to land, calves, etc than any vulture.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Around here, carcasses are cleaned to the bone in short order, so it's a non issue. Coyotes and hogs are much more of a threat to land, calves, etc than any vulture.

Another plus is my state says we can shoot black buzzards now too. I can’t wait to see what a 25gr Vmax at 4100 will do to one.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

A member at one of my old gun clubs had vacation/hunting property in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. He seemed a steady sort, and not given to telling tall tales. One day he told me he had called the Michigan state game people a few years before to complain about a wolf with a tracking collar who had been hanging around the neighbor's property where there were small children. Send somebody out to trap it, he said. It needs to be relocated.

The woman who answered the phone told him it would be a couple of weeks before they could address the call, or ... he could just belly shoot it and let it run off to die, thereby saving everybody a lot of trouble.

Then she hung up. Didn't give her name.

He didn't do it, but he said it gave him a new perspective on game management in the northern part of the state.

Never heard what happened to the wolf. Or the neighbor's children, for that matter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
A bud has 6,000 acres of crop land and hardwood bottom land on the Red River. He got the bright idea of buying a trailer load of Russians from Tennessee. Turned them loose, wanting to breed some sporting hogs. Well, they bred with the native feral hogs and now he regrets doing that.

I’ve hunted his property and one foggy morning, shot a 300# boar with my 6.5-284 at 225 yds. It was so foggy, I couldn’t range him. Only later was able to use the rangefinder after fog had lifted.

Drug him to the camp, weighed him. 300 pounds on the nose. Drug him to the bone pile. Next day passing by, saw just bones. Man, those coyotes sure were busy. Put a trail cam there. It was hogs eating hogs.

I’ve posted this before. I’ll shoot’em, not planning on eating them. And all the diseases they are said to carry…. Sorta lost my appetite for wild hogs. Now a young one, probably ok.

DF

Going to say, only seen hogs eating hogs, have never seen a yote or a buzzard eating them, I'm sure they will , but haven't seen it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would never do it on purpose, but I wonder how many of those shot from helicopters are maimed and gut shot etc...

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
A bud has 6,000 acres of crop land and hardwood bottom land on the Red River. He got the bright idea of buying a trailer load of Russians from Tennessee. Turned them loose, wanting to breed some sporting hogs. Well, they bred with the native feral hogs and now he regrets doing that.

I’ve hunted his property and one foggy morning, shot a 300# boar with my 6.5-284 at 225 yds. It was so foggy, I couldn’t range him. Only later was able to use the rangefinder after fog had lifted.

Drug him to the camp, weighed him. 300 pounds on the nose. Drug him to the bone pile. Next day passing by, saw just bones. Man, those coyotes sure were busy. Put a trail cam there. It was hogs eating hogs.

I’ve posted this before. I’ll shoot’em, not planning on eating them. And all the diseases they are said to carry…. Sorta lost my appetite for wild hogs. Now a young one, probably ok.

DF

Going to say, only seen hogs eating hogs, have never seen a yote or a buzzard eating them, I'm sure they will , but haven't seen it.

Buzzards are on them in Burnet ten minutes after you shoot one. I’m talking hundreds of them. Rancher tries to calve about now, no black buzzards, a few Turkey bastards, that’s all.

How far north do buzzards go in the summer. Black buzzards didn’t show up until about ten years ago

Last edited by hanco; 01/18/22.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Another plus is my state says we can shoot black buzzards now too. I can’t wait to see what a 25gr Vmax at 4100 will do to one.

Look for an explosion of feathers. What cartridge is that?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
I would never do it on purpose, but I wonder how many of those shot from helicopters are maimed and gut shot etc...

Good point.

I imagine most hog hunters have gut shot some runners after dumping hog #1 in a group, but at least they're trying to make kills and will likely put another round in a wounded pig if they can.

I think most folks would say there's a difference when somebody is intentionally gut-shooting every animal to let them run away so they don't have to deal with them on-site. Probably not much difference to the pig though!

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some videos I’ve seen on night excursions hunts for pigs look like gut hits. Night vision scopes, mounted on AR platforms raining down rounds on piggies running, sure look like the shooter is just trying to get lead into them without much worrying over shot placement.

Just an observation ~ No judgment.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Some videos I’ve seen on night excursions hunts for pigs look like gut hits. Night vision scopes, mounted on AR platforms raining down rounds on piggies running, sure look like the shooter is just trying to get lead into them without much worrying over shot placement.

Just an observation ~ No judgment.

🦫

That’s about al you can do when a pig is running. They can cover some ground quick.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Good point.

I imagine most hog hunters have gut shot some runners after dumping hog #1 in a group, but at least they're trying to make kills and will likely put another round in a wounded pig if they can.

I think most folks would say there's a difference when somebody is intentionally gut-shooting every animal to let them run away so they don't have to deal with them on-site. Probably not much difference to the pig though!

It happens. I killed ten out of one bunch a couple weeks back and was pretty sure I’d shot an eleventh but couldn’t find any sign of one. Couple days later I saw one out there and went after it. After I killed it I found that I’d hit it low in the shoulder and missed the vitals on the first rodeo. I always try to make good shots on everything and I’ll use an extra bullet to put down the wounded. But I don’t go to any huge lengths to trail them up once they get in the thickets either.

Very best reason for getting a silencer for me was the way they confuse pigs and let you get more out of a bunch. That and the PSSHHH———Thwap! sound when you hit one. I’ve sometimes hear the bullet land when I would have thought I missed and walked over to find a dead pig a short ways away.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Same here. Other hogs clean up the carcass in short order. The buzzards don’t get a chance.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by kwg020
I wish it wasn't such a long drive. We have to buy the hogs to have hog roasts up here. It get's to cold for them to survive a winter outside in central Iowa. I'd love to be down your way and help you out. I'll be completely retired next year. Save a few for me.

kwg

Don't worry, they would survive up there in the cold.

Pretty sure they make it in Michigan just fine.

The live in Russia.

But Iowa? That's just too cold!

Other than an occasional escaped hog, I have yet to see a ferral hog in central Iowa. Any where in Iowa as far as that goes. Apparently, I'm not living right.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Blackheart
The pea-brained Adirondak Queen has a tough life.
Probably not near as tough as a dumbo eared Texican retard. Musta been a bitch going through life looking like that. Especially so being too stupid to spell Adirondack correctly to boot. LOL

grin

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I wish it wasn't such a long drive. We have to buy the hogs to have hog roasts up here. It get's to cold for them to survive a winter outside in central Iowa. I'd love to be down your way and help you out. I'll be completely retired next year. Save a few for me.

kwg

Don't worry, they would survive up there in the cold.

Pretty sure they make it in Michigan just fine.

The live in Russia.

But Iowa? That's just too cold!

Other than an occasional escaped hog, I have yet to see a ferral hog in central Iowa. Any where in Iowa as far as that goes. Apparently, I'm not living right.

kwg

Dude you MUST BE living right.
They may sound like fun but you don't want them. Imagine a herd of backhoes destroying your property. They really mess up fields and even peoples yards with their rooting.

Last edited by 1911a1; 01/18/22.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't Australia develop a hog poison? But the US wont approve its use here.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,902 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.