24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not quite the price you are looking for but a tract tekoa 4-16 would be my first choice. Great scope and reticle

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hard to beat a fixed 6x SWFA, if you can get one. I had one on my 7 mag and killed two, or three elk with it out past 300 yards. There are lots of good hunting scopes that don't cost a mortgage. I would either leave the Burris, or try a Sightron, or Meopta, but there are several that you can get in your price range. I took the 6x off of my 7mag, as I wanted it on a .270 (gasp) that I traded for. I put a FFII Burris on the 7 mag and it shoots good, but has not had any hard use yet.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex has suited my needs for 90% of the hunting I do.. Can't beat the price either..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I find it amazing that a bunch of you guys can’t recommend a scope within the parameters the OP provided…. if you don’t then explain why….???

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have two Athlon Helos 2-12 FFP scopes with illumination, and like them a lot.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42

The S-TAC 3-16x42 is the ideal scope for target, varmint, and hunting applications. The MOA-3 reticle is a favorite for the AR-platform that provides ample windage and elevation adjustments for competition and targets. A unique flip-up lever is built into the power ring for easy adjustments of cold days.

Features
ExacTrack W&E System: Never experience drift with Sightron's patented windage and elevation adjustment technology. It provides proper alignment between the adjustments and the erector tube by maintaining the same constant and accurate point of pressure at zero or extreme adjustments.
Exclusive Optical Design: Using the right materials for the right application, Sightron engineers build optical formulas around the best optical glass to reduce chromatic aberrations, improve color accuracy, deliver excellent light transmission, and best-in-class resolution and sharpness.
Zact-7 Revcoat®: Exclusive Zact-7 Revcoat® multi-coating process employs revolutionary lens coating technology on both surfaces of the lenses for maximum anti-reflection performance and the high light transmission.
Second Focal Plane Reticle: The reticle size remains constant at any zoom range.
Reticle Material: Etched Wire reticle for a superior viewing experience
Shockproof: Built to withstand high caliber recoil and accidental impact
Waterproof: Rated at IPX7 waterproof standards
Fog proof: Nitrogen gas charged for a lifetime of fog free use
Tube Construction: Milled from a single piece of lightweight, industrial grade aluminum

Bought one after talking to Doug, and am very well pleased. Haven't had the chance to hunt with it yet, but it's been working great on steel out to 500 yards.

Gonna order one of these!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SWFA 3x9

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Daveh
I find it amazing that a bunch of you guys can’t recommend a scope within the parameters the OP provided…. if you don’t then explain why….???

What's your recommendation?

If I was buying today in that price range, I would see how I like the new vx3hd offering.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I’d watch for an swfa 3-9 on sample list or wait for a sale. The 3-9 will do everything you ask even though it’s under your stated minimum 10x.

Looked through one of mine at 750 yards this afternoon for awhile. The view on 4 power at that long of a range is very good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The biggest problem you’re going to face is finding a decent scope with enough mounting length to mount on your rifle without going with a rail and tac style rings. Currently there are quite a few scopes made that are good, but with tubes so short they struggle to mount on even a short action without going with a rail. Can you tell I hate rails, high mounted scopes, and all that come with them, especially on a truly lightweight hunting rifle?

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Another vote for the SWFA 3-9. If you think you might want to twist on it, it's really the best option for the stated price range.

The only scope priced less that's as reliable is the SWFA 6x.

Last edited by Starbuck; 01/18/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=Capt_Craig]The biggest problem you’re going to face is finding a decent scope with enough mounting length to mount on your rifle without going with a rail and tac style rings. Currently there are quite a few scopes made that are good, but with tubes so short they struggle to mount on even a short action without going with a rail. Can you tell I hate rails, high mounted scopes, and all that come with them, especially on a truly lightweight hunting rifle? [/quote

There's plenty of ways around getting a short scope mounted nice and low on a long action without using a rail. I've used Warne extended bases, Talley LW extended, Leupold DD extended rings, Burris multislot bases.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JackVliet
Originally Posted by Daveh

What's your recommendation?

If I was buying today in that price range, I would see how I like the new vx3hd offering.

If used is ok and push the ceiling to $550 then a Vortex Razor HD LH (1” tube) 2-10 or 3-15 or a Leupold 4.5-14…

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Huntz
Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42

The S-TAC 3-16x42 is the ideal scope for target, varmint, and hunting applications. The MOA-3 reticle is a favorite for the AR-platform that provides ample windage and elevation adjustments for competition and targets. A unique flip-up lever is built into the power ring for easy adjustments of cold days.

Features
ExacTrack W&E System: Never experience drift with Sightron's patented windage and elevation adjustment technology. It provides proper alignment between the adjustments and the erector tube by maintaining the same constant and accurate point of pressure at zero or extreme adjustments.
Exclusive Optical Design: Using the right materials for the right application, Sightron engineers build optical formulas around the best optical glass to reduce chromatic aberrations, improve color accuracy, deliver excellent light transmission, and best-in-class resolution and sharpness.
Zact-7 Revcoat®: Exclusive Zact-7 Revcoat® multi-coating process employs revolutionary lens coating technology on both surfaces of the lenses for maximum anti-reflection performance and the high light transmission.
Second Focal Plane Reticle: The reticle size remains constant at any zoom range.
Tube Construction: Milled from a single piece of lightweight, industrial grade aluminum

Bought one after talking to Doug, and am very well pleased. Haven't had the chance to hunt with it yet, but it's been working great on steel out to 500 yards.

I bought one of the 4-20x50mm ones. Jury still out on edge to edge clarity and last light performance.

I’m not used to nor fond of having to use an adjustment to focus for hunting applications.

For your price range, try an Optika 5.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
if i can't do it with an swfa 3-9

it ain't needing to be done

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Meopta.

Kirk Furniss
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have yet to see anything that would be worth me buying over what I have. Bushnell elites Japanese made I use mostly 4200 4x16x40. I’m up to a even dozen elites

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex has suited my needs for 90% of the hunting I do.. Can't beat the price either..

^^^^^^ this.

I put one on my buddy's 270 last year under the exact same criteria as the OP. I've used alot of FFII and like them alot.

If you want an excellent used Burris Veracity, I know where one is........ whistle

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Burris e1 4-14x42. Under 200$ and its built like a brick [bleep]. Forever warranty that u wont need. I have several and do prefer the e1 over the ff2. Quicker side focus and power adjustment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz
Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42

Features

I just bought two. Not tried either yet but all reviews were positive.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.