-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Iowa doesn't have enough unbroken cover to support hogs. Tons of food but they would have to hide behind road signs and power lines, there isn't enough fences left to hide behind corner posts.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having to hunt and shoot feral hogs is like having a case of jock itch. It sucks overall and can really be irritating, but it usually puts a smile on your face when you get to scratch it.....

Now with even more aplomb
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
They tear up a lot of pasture, make a mess of things, and who knows what they do to the ecology of an area. My neighbor’s back door overlooks where they often travel on my land. I told him to do whatever he can to get lead into as many as possible. Shot placement is not a concern to me. I view them as an oversize infestation of rats.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by TheKid
Why’s everybody always wanting to drag hogs off? I leave the sumbitches laying around all over the countryside. Just split the hide down their back and fold it open a little ways and the coyotes and other pigs will have them slicked down in no time.
There is a problem with that. Dead hogs attract the black vulture. If you own cattle you will find that black vultures prefer fresh meat to stinking meat. If they are hanging around eating a decaying hog and a cow pushes out a fresh calf dozens of vultures will surround her and kill the baby. I drag hogs to the back corner and usually the alligators are waiting if the weather is even slightly warm. We have gators that can pull a 200 pounder into the water and so far the gators haven't taken to attacking cattle.

Around here, carcasses are cleaned to the bone in short order, so it's a non issue. Coyotes and hogs are much more of a threat to land, calves, etc than any vulture.

Same here. Other hogs clean up the carcass in short order. The buzzards don’t get a chance.

I killed a nasty old boar that had a large tape worm crawl out after a day or so. That thing laid there for 6-8 months. Nothing would eat it.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
They tear up a lot of pasture, make a mess of things, and who knows what they do to the ecology of an area. My neighbor’s back door overlooks where they often travel on my land. I told him to do whatever he can to get lead into as many as possible. Shot placement is not a concern to me. I view them as an oversize infestation of rats.

That’s a great way to view them, big cockroaches is another. That can rip up a football field in one night. They had to build chain link fences around the practice fields where I worked.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
STX Hunter
Going to say, only seen hogs eating hogs, have never seen a yote or a buzzard eating them, I'm sure they will , but haven't seen it.

here the coyotes and buzzards have no issues eating hogs. Gators either. Black bears help too.

Sam......

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by slumlord
if youre going to do what youre going to do, you would have been better off to just keep it to yourself

^^^^^^
This

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by kwg020
I wish it wasn't such a long drive. We have to buy the hogs to have hog roasts up here. It get's to cold for them to survive a winter outside in central Iowa. I'd love to be down your way and help you out. I'll be completely retired next year. Save a few for me.

kwg

Don't worry, they would survive up there in the cold.

Pretty sure they make it in Michigan just fine.

The live in Russia.

But Iowa? That's just too cold!

Other than an occasional escaped hog, I have yet to see a ferral hog in central Iowa. Any where in Iowa as far as that goes. Apparently, I'm not living right.

kwg

Dude you MUST BE living right.
They may sound like fun but you don't want them. Imagine a herd of backhoes destroying your property. They really mess up fields and even peoples yards with their rooting.

We had a neighbor who wasn't good with fences. He had a couple of sows and about 10 or 12 babies in our yard over a couple of days. They tore the crap out of the yard. My dad had a conversation with him and he finally got them rounded up. It only took a day or 2 and the yard was a mess and so was some of the pasture. That was 40 years ago and that was the last time I saw pigs out. They were domesticated stock and i really doubt they would of survived over the winter. Their genetics were all wrong for the really cold weather. Our pigs in the really cold weather never left the hog house except to eat out of the feed trough twice a day and then right back in.

If you have pigs in Michigan, they are no longer domesticated. They are several generations feral and come up from the south over the course of several years.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Back in the old days before lazer range finders and dialing scopes we sighted are p-dog guns in high to be on at 300 yards. Then we held low for a body hit and how ever far in the wind we thought would get the bullet on the target. One of the things a lower body shot would do was to loft the p dog. Something on the order of a 22-250 or the swift would get you a 8-12 ' loft never saw one that got lofted run off. 222's and 223's not near the loft but back then we never shot many bullets lighter than 50 grains. Shooting a dog town generates a lot of carcasses if your hitting , other varmints clean them up. Pretty short order. Fact is after they go down if you wait awhile wily coyote might show up as a bonus. One year a guy I know told me of a fellow who had p-dog problem who couldn't let just anyone bang away on them. He lived with the road to the airport on his east side and over the hill to the west was a subdivision. So it was a low noise requirement as well as low power need. I looked it over and decided all I had to do was stay in an old irrigation canal that was dry using sub sonic Remington hp 22lr's. The next biggest problem was dogs from the subdivision carrying off the carcasses to upset their owners. Wanted me to pick up the carcasses. I found out a pdog shot low would make it back to his mound and burrow to bury themselves and that took care of the disposal problem. Did what was necessary to shoot there causing no problems for the owner or myself. Went about twice weekly for about 2 months. Inexpensive varminting for sure. Got tiresome in the end, no I didn't run out of pdogs. He finally had them poisoned. Sometimes you need to do what needs to be done and not get too ideological. Way it is...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

That’s a great way to view them, big cockroaches is another. That can rip up a football field in one night. They had to build chain link fences around the practice fields where I worked.

like sea gulls.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Going to say, only seen hogs eating hogs, have never seen a yote or a buzzard eating them, I'm sure they will , but haven't seen it.
Yes sir, buzzards will eat them here. I shot a pig yesterday and didn't drag him off because my bride had ordered me back home due to me having Corona. Went back up there about 2PM today and he was being taken care of by 3 turkey buzzards. Those turkey buzzards aren't bad about attacking calves so I let them be.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a big hog grave yard, wouldn't even want to guess how many is buried there

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by Blackheart
We don't have hogs here. What are these hogs doing to your property ? I'll have deer out here in my yard chewing up my bushes and trees all winter. Should I just gut shoot them ? They are just pests after all.

Well lets see ...they are more efficient at at plowing your fields than a turning plow, they will eat a newborn fawn as quick as they can get there mouth on it . the love quail and turkey eggs and deer tend to go where hogs are not.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by leadfeather
We don't have hogs here. What are these hogs doing to your property ? I'll have deer out here in my yard chewing up my bushes and trees all winter. Should I just gut shoot them ? They are just pests after all.

Well lets see ...they are more efficient at at plowing your fields than a turning plow, they will eat a newborn fawn as quick as they can get there mouth on it . the love quail and turkey eggs and deer tend to go where hogs are not.

I won't argue the damage hogs do. In fact I get called in by farmers to help shoot them out of the fields, and I try to kill more hogs than the plague.

But I try to put them DRT. Any animal deserves a humane death. No exceptions.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
it's fun to hunt them but they get out of hand within a year

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ok fellas , love them or hate them i am being over run with hogs , after investigating a bit i have found out that the folks affiliated with the joining property are intentionally trapping and catching hogs from other areas and releasing them on there property which is a few hundred acres and ultimately they end on our property as well as there hog dogs. I am ok with hogs existing in numbers that hunters can keep at bay or relatively so.
Here is where i am at , previously trapped hogs' are almost impossible to trap, so i am at the point where shooting hogs at night about my only option. I am not interested in dragging and loading hogs .
Here is my Question, will shooting a hog in the ribs with a 22lr eventually kill when fired from 50yds or less. im not talking about pure gut shots or maybe i am. And i am talking about the single animals , a 42pellet load of #4 buck would be my medicine for a moonlight feeding frenzy on that corn pile . If buy some chance i drop some they will be put on display in a unique way !

You’re just frustrated. Animals are innocent - proceed with a neighborly letter from your attorney instead.

Please don’t intentionally wound a game animal no matter how pissed you are at the situation - not their fault.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 01/18/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I won't argue the damage hogs do. In fact I get called in by farmers to help shoot them out of the fields, and I try to kill more hogs than the plague.

But I try to put them DRT. Any animal deserves a humane death. No exceptions.

Millions of rodents have been killed with anticoagulants, and the internal bleeding caused is painful

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Fellas , can somebody tell me why a nongame animal with such a destructive nature receive any better treatment than say a wood rat or a cockroach that most everybody has at one time or another poisoned or hired an exterminator to do it for you. Most all of these hogs that i am dealing with have proven to be very trap shy from previous trapping and loading a 250 plus lb. hog is a challenge at best for me . I was approached by a fella that bragged about how good his dogs where and if i would just let him in he would rid us of our problem. I agreed with the stipulation that no hogs left alive . that was the last I herd of him.
the other day I was traveling between Campti and Clarence and saw what i thought was a barrel in the ditch that moved, then it looked more like a baby Rhinoceros and all I could thing of was how many fawns has that thing eaten and how much destruction will he cause in the future. I am fed up!

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
So I take it that you folks that would never gut shoot a feral hog are never going to poison another insect or rodent!
I see a market for live roach and wood rat traps!

Last edited by leadfeather; 01/18/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So i take it that you are never going to poison another insect or rodent!

Dead is dead, once you get there how doesn't matter as much

I like humane kills, but when a critter is enough of a problem getting them gone is what counts most

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,200
Posts18,466,008
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.