Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Fellas , can somebody tell me why a nongame animal with such a destructive nature receive any better treatment than say a wood rat or a cockroach that most everybody has at one time or another poisoned or hired an exterminator to do it for you. Most all of these hogs that i am dealing with have proven to be very trap shy from previous trapping and loading a 250 plus lb. hog is a challenge at best for me . I was approached by a fella that bragged about how good his dogs where and if i would just let him in he would rid us of our problem. I agreed with the stipulation that no hogs left alive . that was the last I herd of him.
the other day I was traveling between Campti and Clarence and saw what i thought was a barrel in the ditch that moved, then it looked more like a baby Rhinoceros and all I could thing of was how many fawns has that thing eaten and how much destruction will he cause in the future. I am fed up!

^^^^^^ What he said

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
We don't have hogs here. What are these hogs doing to your property ? I'll have deer out here in my yard chewing up my bushes and trees all winter. Should I just gut shoot them ? They are just pests after all.

Well lets see ...they are more efficient at at plowing your fields than a turning plow, they will eat a newborn fawn as quick as they can get there mouth on it . the love quail and turkey eggs and deer tend to go where hogs are not.
Nobody said don't kill them but as someone else said, gut shooting intentionally is a dick move.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
i guess you never poisoned a rat! either

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I aint ever intentionally killed anything to make it suffer, with the exception of fodder worms, I HATE THOSE BASTARDS! If something needs killing I have ZERO issue taking on the task at hand, but making something suffer is just cruel and heartless.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
You're the dumbass who came on a public forum asking for opinions when you could have just kept your little animal torture fantasies to yourself.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Only wish I could hear fire ants scream.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We don't have hogs here. What are these hogs doing to your property ? I'll have deer out here in my yard chewing up my bushes and trees all winter. Should I just gut shoot them ? They are just pests after all.

Well lets see ...they are more efficient at at plowing your fields than a turning plow, they will eat a newborn fawn as quick as they can get there mouth on it . the love quail and turkey eggs and deer tend to go where hogs are not.
Nobody said don't kill them but as someone else said, gut shooting intentionally is a dick move.

Exactly.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
You're the dumbass who came on a public forum asking for opinions when you could have just kept your little animal torture fantasies to yourself.

Originally Posted by Raferman

If any of you had bothered to read the OP i wasnt asking or even concerned about opinions gut shooting feral hogs ! i was asking about weaponry for the task at hand and the effects of my usage. I appreciate those of you who have dealt with a similar problem and your understanding.
And BlackHart I respect your opinion but you do need to get a life, I mean.....I mean anybody that has time to post close to 16k post on this forum cant have much of a life . You seam to have an opinion on most everything but have done little ! ( I checked out some of your post! ) I will start placing bait soon to start killing hogs after Archery season

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't use. a 22-250.

They don't run off very often.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
https://texasfarmbureau.org/contraceptive-available-to-help-control-wild-pigs/

New direction for hog control. Pretty cool and good solution. Lots more to be done but a real good start.

Last edited by gkt5450; 01/18/22.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ive killed more hogs than most people in TN have ever seen with the exception of houndsmen and Ive NEVER left one or shot one through the guts intentionally. In fact I think Ive only ever lost ONE and that one was at 435 yards right at dark and I couldn't tell for sure which way he was facing. I THOUGHT I put it right behind his shoulder facing left. As it turns out he was facing right and I put it right in front of his ham in the flank, aka a gut shot. Even at that he didn't go 40 yards, it was just too dark to see him. We found him the next day.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Huntaholic
Ive killed more hogs than most people in TN have ever seen with the exception of houndsmen and Ive NEVER left one or shot one through the guts intentionally. In fact I think Ive only ever lost ONE and that one was at 435 yards right at dark and I couldn't tell for sure which way he was facing. I THOUGHT I put it right behind his shoulder facing left. As it turns out he was facing right and I put it right in front of his ham in the flank, aka a gut shot. Even at that he didn't go 40 yards, it was just too dark to see him. We found him the next day.

Did you retire or something? You went from quiet as Kaw-lija to posting regularly. Just wondering

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 19352012

Did you retire or something? You went from quiet as Kaw-lija to posting regularly. Just wondering

Didn't retire, registered, forgot my password, and never took the time to try to remember it lol. Boards I used to post on got too far up hiden bidens ass and decided it was time to find a new home on the net.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of the first hogs I ever saw get shot was gut shot while at a full gallop. 2.75" FFAR 17# HE detonated directly below his belly button as best I could tell. A) It didn't suffer. B) There weren't chitt left for the mess kit.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 19352012

Didn't retire, registered, forgot my password, and never took the time to try to remember it lol. Boards I used to post on got too far up hiden bidens ass and decided it was time to find a new home on the net.

Awesome. Thanks for replying.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Originally Posted by Raferman

If any of you had bothered to read the OP i wasnt asking or even concerned about opinions gut shooting feral hogs ! i was asking about weaponry for the task at hand and the effects of my usage. I appreciate those of you who have dealt with a similar problem and your understanding.
And BlackHart I respect your opinion but you do need to get a life, I mean.....I mean anybody that has time to post close to 16k post on this forum cant have much of a life . You seam to have an opinion on most everything but have done little ! ( I checked out some of your post! ) I will start placing bait soon to start killing hogs after Archery season
Maybe you should check out some of the posters that have 3,4 and 5 times as many posts as me and tell them they need to get a life too. You can start with the one right below my last post ltppowell. LOL. But I guess maybe I haven't done much since I never intentionally gut shot anything in my life. I'll leave animal cruelty to the psychopaths.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fellas , can somebody tell me why a nongame animal with such a destructive nature receive any better treatment than say a wood rat or a cockroach that most everybody has at one time or another poisoned or hired an exterminator to do it for you. Most all of these hogs that i am dealing with have proven to be very trap shy from previous trapping and loading a 250 plus lb. hog is a challenge at best for me . I was approached by a fella that bragged about how good his dogs where and if i would just let him in he would rid us of our problem. I agreed with the stipulation that no hogs left alive . that was the last I herd of him.
the other day I was traveling between Campti and Clarence and saw what i thought was a barrel in the ditch that moved, then it looked more like a baby Rhinoceros and all I could thing of was how many fawns has that thing eaten and how much destruction will he cause in the future. I am fed up!
That hog you saw in the ditch was no more than 5 or 6 miles from me. The only thing I have been able to do is hold down the population until some more move into the void. With the end of deer season this month I'll get some new ones because all the hunters will quit baiting. I feed the deer and squirrels a little corn all year. I wouldn't expect hunters with dogs to be effective. They kill or catch a few but mostly scatter them. I agree with the others that purposely gut shooting to wound isn't right. My little 2WD Honda Recon can drag off a big hog. I gut shoot sometimes in that I shoot hogs facing away right under the tail but I'm using a .30-06 with a 180 grain bullet so it goes through the guts and past the diaphragm and usually takes the hog down right there.

Maybe you can take some action to stop your neighbor from importing trap shy hogs because once they've been trapped and maybe shot at in the daytime they are hard to kill or catch. If he keeps stocking more you are spinning your wheels trying to kill them. If it was me and I could prove it he would be explaining it to the judge.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Put a 22 in their ear, drop them off in the offending neighbor's driveway.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think the problem with your theory is you're assuming they'll run off and die back on your neighbor's place. They could die on your place too, just out of sight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had pretty good luck with trap shy hogs by shooting them at night over bait. Corn works as good as any. Elusive Wildlife Technologies makes a motion detector light called the Blind Sider but you need to get the green version. Red scares them off. Green might also but after a night or two they accept green. Then all you need to do is get them coming and be sure they can't come in downwind of you. The only issue I had was sometimes not being able to see my cross hairs but I solved that with a lighted reticle. If the hogs are coming in the wee hours and you don't like to stay up until 3AM just cut back on they bait so they have to beat the competition to it. You can have them coming at 8PM. A camera helps a lot in figuring out their schedule.

As I've indicated before you need to stop the import of new hogs whatever that takes.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 26 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,176
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.