-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just wondered if anybody on here has loaded any 1 1/4 oz. loads? There used to be loads like this available but, all you see now is 1 1/8 oz. and under.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
There are a few loads in the Lyman 5th Manual, and the BP 16 ga Manual. I loaded 2 rounds in Federal cases based on the Lyman data with 1 1/4 oz of NP BB but had to roll crimp them to get all the shot in. I stick with 7/8, 1oz, and 1 1/8. In my 16's. In the 16ga Manual the writer says if you need more shot use a bigger gun and that stuck with me. Hodgden may have some loads if you contact them, and its free. Good luck

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, I have heard that 1 1/4 oz. is a little hard to get in the case. Like you said, it fills up the case pretty good. The reason I was asking, is I've been thinking about trying it for this Spring turkey season.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well that's about the only use for them. Why don't you snag a box of those Fiocchi golden pheasant 1 1/8 oz. Loads with nickel plated 5's....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Elmer pushed for this load for his 16 ga. Ithaca. I think Remington loaded him a case but used #4 shot. Then Federal came through and loaded a case of papers and # 6 shot. He was pleased as punch. Said that was his upland load from here on out. This was in the early 60's. Have the info. somewhere, I think it was Guns magazine. A couple of my uncles used the Remington load for their upland hunts. All long gone.

Molon Labe
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by roverboy
Just wondered if anybody on here has loaded any 1 1/4 oz. loads? There used to be loads like this available but, all you see now is 1 1/8 oz. and under.

And what advantages do you think will be gained. In addition to increased recoil? 🧐

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Let’s take size “6” shot. Adding an 1/8 oz of sixes means you’ve added 28 BB’s to the already 253 in one ounce. So you added around 1/10 of the payload to it. What will it get you? Two things for sure: somewhat lower velocity to keep pressure the same. Maybe more discernible recoil and perhaps more pellet deformation. Certainly not much more pattern density. I know you will not tell a difference on birds in the field. You’d have to add a 1/4 oz to add significant payload for significant pattern density which means needing a 3” 16.

The same thinking brought us the 3” 20 with its famously long shot string, the 3.5” 12, and now a 3” 28 for a non-toxic load. These do have some utility in purely niche applications — Turkey and Waterfowl, but, arguably, with the exception of the 3” 20, they are not applicable to the uplands. And I expect the cost of the non-toxic 28 to be enough to keep it out also.

Though there has been a rise in the 16’s popularity, I doubt we are going to see a 3” 16 any time soon and that’s ok with me. It’s not going to happen.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
George, measure the chambers on that 16 you just picked up - it may very well be 3" chambered if it is anything like the two I currently own or the one I used to own. They ranged from a 1987 Upland Special to a 2012 Lightning Feather so I would not be surprised if yours fit in this too. I'm not saying this is a "good" thing but I could see it being of some advantage for using steel shot in one of these guns.

To the OP,

I've loaded 1 1/4 oz of shot into 16 ga hulls at various times. It can be a trick as it is a tight fit. My original load used Winchester 571 or Hodgdon HS-7 powder (same thing, different labels) using Remington SP-16 wads in Federal hulls. The powder used little space so the shot and wad was able to fit in with only light compression. After 571/HS-7 was discontinued, I tried a recipe using Blue Dot which is a bit bulkier. The amount of compression needed with the SP-16 wad was much greater and there were occasional crimps that would open in the box.

Today, Hodgdon Long Shot works as well as 571/HS-7 as LS is a pretty dense powder. One would still need to use a hull with a large internal volume such as Federal, Fiocchi, or Cheddite and it looks like the SP-16 would be the only one piece wad available, if one can find them.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a full flat of active #6's 1-1/4oz I forgot I had until we made a move. Then it was like Christmas going thru all the stuff I had stored away.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I'm not sure 1-1/4 would be much of a benefit. I too, have seen the data for the loads but after some field experience I think such a load would just cause premature wear to my old guns rather than provide much more performance. I shoot a mix of factory and reloads and found that the hype of 1-1/8 high brass was indeed just hype. I now comfortably shoot 1 oz loads with just as deadly effectiveness (on pheasants). The only turkey I've ever shot was with number 4 1-1/8 high brass, this was before my revelation. If you decide to go this route definitely pattern a few different loads to find what you like best!

-Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun-
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Billewe
I have a full flat of active #6's 1-1/4oz I forgot I had until we made a move. Then it was like Christmas going thru all the stuff I had stored away.

Yeah, I remember Active for their 3”, red-hulled12 with a 2oz payload. It dropped the velocity so that with the right light, you’d see the shot cup flying out.

Generally, in any factory load, an increase in payload comes with a commensurate decrease in velocity and vice-versa.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

If anything like the 12 gauge stuff we tried it's no wonder they went out of business.

Schittiest patterning "turkey" loads we ever patterned.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. 1 1/8 oz. might be fine.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Yeah, I remember Active for their 3”, red-hulled12 with a 2oz payload. It dropped the velocity so that with the right light, you’d see the shot cup flying out.

Generally, in any factory load, an increase in payload comes with a commensurate decrease in velocity and vice-versa.

A lot of 3" turkey loads I saw around the early 2,000's had 2 oz. loads. Slow but, a lot of hunters I know killed lots of birds with them. My first bird was with Activ 3" #4 2 oz. load. I killed the bird at 42 yards. They kicked so hard you almost forgot who you were.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roverboy
Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. 1 1/8 oz. might be fine.

They will kill a gobbler as far as he needs killed.

Going to use my 16 this spring. Probably just high brass 1 1/8 Oz #6 shot. Modified choke patterns pretty good to 30sh.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Main reason I have the 1-1/4 oz flat of Actives is I never had a use for them. 1oz of 6,s always seem to work best for me.. lead that is. I don't use that so called non toxic crap. Never have.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,106 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.