Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
I have a M700 KS chambered in 338 Winchester magnum and I love it. Bought it in 1997. Brown Precision stock and stainless steel and will print 225 gr Accubonds into small clusters.

Should be a McMillan unless someone swapped it.
Sounds like a good one!

It may be a mcmillan. I was told it was a Brown but the person may have been wrong.

Fantastic stock. I would love to have a few more.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
AU338MAG,
I inferred you bought it new in ‘97. My mistake. If it was used the seller could be correct. Best I have been able to tell, the transition from Brown to McMillan took place right around the time of the introduction of the stainless KS (first cataloged ‘92).
By ‘93 the transition was definitely complete as they had introduced the safari ks which was a McMillan only product. I’ve got a ss ks which dates to late ‘92 and is in a McMillan. I’ve not seen a ss ks in person in anything other than a McMillan, but I’ve seen add copy from the introduction of the stainless ks which appears to show them in a Brown. Knowing Remington, it’s likely there are a few out there in Browns as the transition to the McMillan seems to have occurred over quite some time - likely as they used up inventory. I’m not sure how many ks left the custom shop in 1992, but it likely wasn’t a huge number. I’d love to know just for S&G.

If you care to post or pm a pic, I can likely tell you which it is.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
if you like the ks stock just buy a brown precision stock....they are one in the same and what remington used on the early KS modles

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was just going to post about the 92 Catalog. That's the first catalog mention I could find of the 700 KS. Not surprising because they were made in the custom shop. And doesn't necessarily mean that was the beginning of KS existence. From the catalog;
"Model 700 KS Mountain Rifle
A synthetic stock reinforced with DuPont Kevlar, makes this the lightest, toughest Model 700 rifle available. Kevlar makes the stock dimensionally stable and the dull finish makes it virtually invisible to game in open country. For 1992 the Model 700 KS is offered in a wide selection of calibers in right and left-handed versions. We've also added right-hand stainless barrelled actions, and the option of matte gray or simulated wood grain finish on stocks. Available from the Remington Custom Shop through your local Remington dealer."

What's interesting to me is that Kevlar as a stock material option is also mentioned in the 40X and the Model 700 Safari. Both also available from the Remington Custom shop. But Kevlar is also mentioned in the 700 VS (not custom shop). I do remember seeing the gray kevlar stocked 40-XC's showing up on the range. I'd only known McMillan to be producing the Kevlar stocks for Remington and conversations with McMillan at that time reinforced this. But my knowledge probably doesn't go far back enough to encompass Brown Precision's production. H-S Precision was also providing stocks to Remington during this era (the Aluminum bedding blocked rifles) and I had a Police stock, VS and VSSF pass through my hands and they were clearly H-S Produced. If I had to guess, Remington standard stocks were sourced from H-S and Custom Shop stocks came from McMillan during that early 90's era.

Last edited by ChrisF; 01/22/22.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gene270
if you like the ks stock just buy a brown precision stock....they are one in the same and what remington used on the early KS modles

Yep. Brown calls it the classic.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by gene270

Yep. Brown calls it the classic.

My favorite stock of all-time.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I am surprised at how most of the KS rifles people have discussed in this thread are large, heavy recoiling rifles. I would have suspected more standard cartridges....

Today is pick up day. Heading out in 30 min!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oakster
I am surprised at how most of the KS rifles people have discussed in this thread are large, heavy recoiling rifles. I would have suspected more standard cartridges....

Details please !

Mine’s a 24” Stainless in 280 Rem. Great shooter. Not sure if it’s Brown or McM .
Best of the Best Mountain Rifle types from Remington

Bought imy KS with the intention of re-chambering to 280 Improved,
Now I need another to re-barrel to a 6.5-280 AI based cat

Ok Oakster, Time for an update on your 7mm

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a KS .280 I bought new in 1992, IMHO the KS was the best rifle Remington ever built as a pure hunting rig. Mine just sits in the back of the gun safe but it would be a tough one to let go of.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
I have a KS .280 I bought new in 1992, IMHO the KS was the best rifle Remington ever built as a pure hunting rig. Mine just sits in the back of the gun safe but it would be a tough one to let go of.

Same.

I have a matte blue (parkerized, I think) version in 35 Whelen and a SS in .280.
Both were spared in a recent purge for similar reasons.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Not a lot you couldn't do with a pair of KS rifles like that!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since its winter and not much going on we should get a KS picture thread going showing everyones favorite KS and what vintage. Guessing there are some good ones with several campfire members, might also be helpful for those looking for a KS.

"Team 7MM-08"
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by SKane

Same.

I have a matte blue (parkerized, I think) version in 35 Whelen and a SS in .280.
Both were spared in a recent purge for similar reasons.

Ditto. Guessing about that same year. I was stationed in AK and I wanted a one rifle to do it all. So, I bought a stainless one in 300 Wby.
At the time, I sent it off to a place called Answer and had the bolt hollowed, the receiver slabbed and a ground shaking muzzle break installed (a billion tiny holes). The recoil actually isn’t bad but it’s loud as F * C Kkkkk! Sadly I shoot left-handed. This gun is right handed. Regardless, it will never go anywhere.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Best non-full custom rifle I've ever owned.

The stock is just a perfect fit & feel for me, perfect trigger & the gun shoots bugholes with just about any decent loading. The only 2 stocks close are a Keith Stegall built pre-64 & a Dakota 76, but neither is light enough to be as enjoyable to carry for all day hikes as the KS, not even close.

The KS will never leave the family ownership.

MM

270 Win with skeletonized bolt handle & cerrokote stock finish. 7 lb 2 oz as shown
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 338Rules

Details please !

Mine’s a 24” Stainless in 280 Rem. Great shooter. Not sure if it’s Brown or McM .
Best of the Best Mountain Rifle types from Remington

Bought imy KS with the intention of re-chambering to 280 Improved,
Now I need another to re-barrel to a 6.5-280 AI based cat

Ok Oakster, Time for an update on your 7mm

Its in very good shape. The rifle came mounted with a rail, which I doubt I use. I doubt it is unfired, there are definate brass swirls on the bolt face, but it hasnt been shot much at all. The rifle, as many have said, balances well, and is definately lighter than a standard 700. Its not as light as a Tikka T3 but it would be a joy to carry. Not a mark on the stock, or the bottom metal. Not a mark on the barrel. No rub marks on the barrel from a rack or safe. The blueing is even complete on the end of the barrel. I am looking forward to trying it out. I really like the rifle

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Since its winter and not much going on we should get a KS picture thread going showing everyones favorite KS and what vintage. Guessing there are some good ones with several campfire members, might also be helpful for those looking for a KS.

Cabelas Gun Library has another KS listed online.... if anyone is looking. Anyone know how to find the date of manufacture etc on these?

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Best non-full custom rifle I've ever owned.

The stock is just a perfect fit & feel for me, perfect trigger & the gun shoots bugholes with just about any decent loading. The only 2 stocks close are a Keith Stegall built pre-64 & a Dakota 76, but neither is light enough to be as enjoyable to carry for all day hikes as the KS, not even close.

The KS will never leave the family ownership.

MM

That is a nice looking combo right there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Cabelas Gun Library has another KS listed online.... if anyone is looking. Anyone know how to find the date of manufacture etc on these?

Just need to see the barrel stamp and that will tell you the year.

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It should look something like this:

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"Team 7MM-08"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The Cabela’s 7 mag is a January ‘87 date code.
Brown precision stock.

Last edited by AKwolverine; 01/23/22.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,907 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,486
Posts18,451,994
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.