Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
So I am not up to speed on the history of the custom shop KS rifle? What makes a KS model a KS? Are they almost all built on the same recipe? Would it be a factory possibility for magnaporting, from Remington? Are these guns all light, or do they make them in all weights? How can you tell one on the rack?

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Remington Custom KS Mountain Rifle in .280 Rem. It's blued (although I had the metal coated) and has what seems to be a Brown Precision stock. It has a 24 inch barrel and weighs a bit under 6.5 lbs. It's very accurate and I doubt that I'll never get rid of it. These rifles were made in Remington's custom shop, supposedly to more precise standards. Based on the way mine shoots, I would believe that. I think the KS might have been for kevlar stock although I don't know if the stock on mine has kevlar in it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Oakster
How can you tell one on the rack?

The first thing to check is the barrel stamping. A KS will have the caliber on the left side near the receiver, a two character date code, and some proof marks on the right side. There is no other barrel stamping. The barrel won't say Remington Arms etc.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The 4 KS’s that my dad, myself and a buddy have ( and all that I’ve seen) all have a matte blue finish over the entire rifle including the bolt. They supposedly had a “custom” barrel taper and ours all have the greenish colored stocks that I too suspect are from Brown. The butt pad says Remington on it. I believe the stainless ones had a black colored stock but I can’t remember for sure. I’ve seen a few advertised as KS’s that were std blued finish. I doubted that were true custom KS’s but didn’t want to call the guys out as I was not 100% sure I was correct. Ours are 2 in 338win, 7 mag and 300wby and all four are easily sub Moa rifles.

IC B2

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Good to know. So the main features are weight reduction, premium barrels and a kevlar stock of its own shape. I think I am going to pick one up this weekend.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Benbo
The 4 KS’s that my dad, myself and a buddy have ( and all that I’ve seen) all have a matte blue finish over the entire rifle including the bolt. They supposedly had a “custom” barrel taper and ours all have the greenish colored stocks that I too suspect are from Brown. The butt pad says Remington on it. I believe the stainless ones had a black colored stock but I can’t remember for sure. I’ve seen a few advertised as KS’s that were std blued finish. I doubted that were true custom KS’s but didn’t want to call the guys out as I was not 100% sure I was correct. Ours are 2 in 338win, 7 mag and 300wby and all four are easily sub Moa rifles.

This sounds like a good description of my .280. As I recall, when I took the action out of the stock, the inside of the stock was marked Brown Precision.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Summed up well above. I had one in 375 H&H. It was Magna-ported however I bought it used in 1996. When I disassembled it I found a crack in the stock at the recoil lug bearing surface. I called Remington and they sent me a shipper. A few weeks later the rifle arrived bedded in a McM KS stock. I had the barrel cut to remove the porting. It was extremely accurate and I took two elk with it using the 260 Partition. I sold it years ago but still have the stock that my 338-06 rides in.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had an early KS that was gloss blue. It was new in the box so I know it was original. The matte finish and stainless showed up a few years later.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I thought it stood for Kill [bleep] . . . grin

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Benbo

The texture of the stock will tell if it's a McMillan or Brown, both made "greenish colored stocks".

I have owned several KS rifles with a satin blue finish and jeweled bolt; these were the early iterations of the KS and to me, the finest.

Nice rifles for sure.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Note the texture/pattern on the stock at the link, it's a Brown Precision stock.

The McMillan stocks have a different texture/pattern. I prefer the Brown.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Note the texture/pattern on the stock at the link, it's a Brown Precision stock.

The McMillan stocks have a different texture/pattern. I prefer the Brown.

Funny you posted that. That is the exact gun I was going to purchase. I have spoken with them on the phone and it is unfired, I have it put away for me in the back, I will pick it up on Sunday if it passes inspection. Seems that is about the going rate for them. I am not sure it is really unfired. The first guy I spoke with didnt say that, he said it was in nice shape for sure. The second I spoke with to put it away for me said it was infired. Looks like the bolt has been worked a bit, for it being unfired.

Last edited by Oakster; 01/19/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having come from the custom shop the bolt could have been worked and lapped. I have an unfired 30-06 thats bolt looks the same as you describe, like lapping the lugs.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a M700 KS chambered in 338 Winchester magnum and I love it. Bought it in 1997. Brown Precision stock and stainless steel and will print 225 gr Accubonds into small clusters.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I should be bringing it home on Sunday. Rings and scope are already sitting on the gun bench, Nice to have spares.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

A friend of mine has a very early LH KS in 280 Remington with the nice satin blue and jeweled bolt.

I've owned two LH KS guns but both mine were matte blued and not jeweled bolts. Sold both on the classifieds here.......

Last edited by Lawdwaz; 01/20/22.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
I have a M700 KS chambered in 338 Winchester magnum and I love it. Bought it in 1997. Brown Precision stock and stainless steel and will print 225 gr Accubonds into small clusters.

Should be a McMillan unless someone swapped it.
Sounds like a good one!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Oakster: I have several Remington "KS" Rifles.
They are all the 40X Model.
I understood (when shopping for them and buying them) that the "KS" stood/stands for "Kevlar Stock".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had two of them.One was an Alaskan Wilderness Rifle in 338 Win.Mag.Mcmtllan stock stainless action and barrel with some type of black coating.The other was a stainless 7Rem Mag with a gray McMillan stock.Both were probably the most accurate out of the box rifles I ever owned.I guess the only thing I did not like was their ADL configuration.Both weighed under 8 pounds ready to rock.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,982
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.