Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Dark chocolate bars, Kind bars, cheese sticks, apple, water. PB and J sandwich.

Extended sits in a popup blind during cold weather are more comfortable with Bluet or similar stove, hot chocolate, ramen noodles, instant soup. But the pack is heavier....

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bag of nacho cheese combo’s and a bag of hard candy. I drink very little while hunting . Water or a green tea will last me a week.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Little debbies, granola bars, water and a thermos of coffee

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
And sometimes, because of the snacks, I refer you to the FYI thread! LOL!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I get hungry every time I run across this!

IC B2

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
I get hungry every time I run across this!

Haha
Seems most of us like to snack while hunting. Early on I didn’t eat much while hunting but quickly found you need to keep the fuel going especially when hiking a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Turkey sandwich, maybe a little jerky or pepper sticks washed down with water. Keep it simple and healthy with a lot of protein, odds are you'll want it for packing out a bruiser

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hoody's Peanut Butter Chocolate Mix.

Eat as much as you want, Costco sells it in bulk. blush

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Some of you need to go visit a gastroenterologist. You have GI problems.

I prefer coffee and nuts. Maybe a salted nut roll if I'm feeling extravagant.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I like peanuts , jerky, sardines etc.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I usually keep a snickers in my pack and maybe some crackers and a bottle of water if I’m just sitting in a stand for 3-5 hours. All day sit gets a sandwich added in maybe a few cheese sticks.

This year in elk camp my buddy brought a big jug of peanut butter filled pretzels! Loved those things!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At my age, all of my deer hunting is done out of nice roomy box blinds, so a little aroma or wrapping paper is not a problem. For years now I have taken a small thermos of coffee if it’s cold, and always water. For snacks, I like a small can of honey roasted peanuts, beef jerky, and Little Debbie Swiss Rolls. Occasionally maybe a Snickers or some other candy. The deer don’t seem to mind.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Kit Kat bars. Loads of nutrition and healthy! LOL

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Since I am usually not interested in breakfast early, I normally make a breakfast sandwich and stuff it in a pocket for later. Then I make a lunch sandwich I often don’t eat, and since I am out all day (and like to have overnight contingencies especially elk hunting) I have non-perishables like cheese sticks, nut rolls, an apple, Cliffbar, and what have you. Plus plenty of water.

The breakfast sandwich got me a buck one morning. My partner had shot a buck way back in the night before, and we went in at dawn with backpacks to pack it out. While he started boning, I wandered around a bit in case the deer were moving. Finding a nice swale with a couple trails, I sat down to eat part of my breakfast sandwich. I opened the baggie, took a bite, and was chewing when I spotted the tip of an antler coming my way. More antler tips materialized and I could tell the owner was looking directly my way. I carefully laid the sandwich on the ground and started to raise my rifle - veeerry slowly as the buck passed me at no more than 15 yards obviously looking for that odd sound he had heard. I got the rifle to my shoulder successfully, and my partner got no help packing since my pack was full of my buck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good story Jaguar, but the reverse happens too. Eating has always been one of my favorite things and darned if I'm going to sit out in a cold deer stand without something to eat or drink. One of my more poignant memories was sitting in my tree stand with a cup of coffee enjoying my Maxwell House to the last drop when a doe and large buck chose that time to go running through. All I could do sitting there with my coffee cup in my hand instead of my rifle was laugh at the memory it just made.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Windfall,

I'll bet anyone who looks at your story nods and chuckles at their own version of that. At least you have a mind picture of that buck.

B
B
Is the answer 'yes' appropriate?

Just depends on my mood - snacks are a must.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
According to the survival rule of 3’s you can live for 3 weeks without food. Quit being a softy and needing a snack while in the stand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cheese slices and hard boiled eggs

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Anything and everything! Lol. It’s amazing how much ya can eat just sitting on your azz in a cold blind or on a stand.

I can move around and not think about food for the whole day. Sit on a stand? Pack is stuffed like a fat kid going to skinny camp. 😂

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
817 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 78 invisible), 3,226 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.