Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Always best to shop around... sometimes Midway has good prices sometimes not.

I buy up on things with my annual birthday discount.

When it comes to powder and bullets I typically pass on Midway because of high prices. Here the other day I was going to buy some powder but they had a one pound limit ..... screw that ..... I can see a limit on powder, but a one pound limit with Hazmat charges? Moreover with lot to lot variation in powder I won't buy unless I can get 3-4 pounds at a time.

HR IC

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Shopping around is just wise, if you think someone always has the highest or lowest prices, you are seriously mistaken. Sometimes Midway is low on what I need, sometimes Grafs, Midsouth, Natchez, Powder Valley, etc, etc, etc. I've used spreadsheets to compute and compare the real cost including shipping, tax and hazmat.

But Larry's Birthday Discount is always worth using.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
They are higher on some stuff but they also have more in stock items as well. Shop around.

You ain't about that life.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'd say Larry has pretty good deals going on here for .338's

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010509138?pid=360995 100 bullets, really not a bad price.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023840599?pid=207758

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 405wcf
of his reloading supplies. I needed some .264" 140 gr Sierra Match Kings. MidSouth has them for $44, I can order them direct from Sierra for $50, and Larry wants $53! Also needed a box of Lapua 260 Rem brass. In the past this cost me around $105, but we know prices have gone up. MidSouth has them for $119, Larry is asking $147!!!

It's his store and he can ask what he wants. Midway has often been a bit higher than others, a couple of bucks here and there. When he is asking more than the manufacturer? It does not put him in a very good light.

Kind of sad to see.

405wcf

And away we go. We should read about sucking balls soon.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I dont care what he asks, if I want it I'll buy it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got aggravated with Midway about a year ago, when they had a huge markdown on some rifles. They had a Remington Model 7 stainless with the H.S.Precison stock in 243 at a very good price. I tried to order one by faxing my FFL dealer info to them, but they only ship to what they call Midway USA Preferred Dealers, and there were none in my area. So, I went through the process of getting my FFL to become one of those preferred dealers, and of course those rifles were sold out by the time all that happened.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
back in the fall, Midway sent me my "birthday pricing" special and I did not order a thing. Anything I wanted, with a little shopping around I could beat him on their prices.
About the only thing I have seen that I could not beat their prices on was Safariland holsters.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I took full advantage of my Midway birthday pricing a couple weeks ago. Saved me a fair amount of money when I compared shopping carts of the other online retailers.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I’ve ordered a few things from Midway when I couldn’t find them elsewhere but they lost me when they started tacking on an extra $10 for shipping to Alaska. And they were shipping USPS flat rate which goes to all 50 for the same price.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Midway used to be the first place I check for supplies. Now it’s the last. Prices and slow shipping has caused me to shop elsewhere. Try Brownells. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Midway is a last resort.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Shopping around is just wise, if you think someone always has the highest or lowest prices, you are seriously mistaken. Sometimes Midway is low on what I need, sometimes Grafs, Midsouth, Natchez, Powder Valley, etc, etc, etc. I've used spreadsheets to compute and compare the real cost including shipping, tax and hazmat.

But Larry's Birthday Discount is always worth using.

yeah, I shop around from the various " usual suspects"... with the current market, things are ALL over the map concerning pricing.

There are few things I need 'right now'.... I purchase when the pricing is good.

I bet ya I've sworn off Midway a dozen times in the last 20 years....then they will redeem themselves....

Gave up shopping one place on a regular basis... life was crazy for shooters under Obama.... and now we are right back to that again with Brandon's Administration.

Gas has finally hit Obama era pricing around here also... $4.25 to $4.50 a gallon for regular....the local oil dealers take advantage of that big time... NO competiton at all between them.

People in the gun and shooting business, no difference there either.... guess it depends on each of them and when they buy from their suppliers and manufacturers...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
funny . did a search on midsouth shooters supply and guess what came up first?

Midwayusa.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Recently, I was about to order an item from Midway that had a special discount that day. They were also running Free Shipping Over $49. When the site wouldn't allow me to checkout, I called them. The rep told me that I could have the discounted price OR the free shipping, but not both. I went and bought from Scheels.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got mad at Midway in the 90s for ending free shipping.

It took me a few years to get over it.

I like Larry's gunsmithing lessons.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I've bought a fair bit from Midway (a scope arrived today) and continue to do so. I also shop elsewhere if needed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I spent around $6000 at midway a few years back but now spend my money elsewhere! Midway USA is no longer mom and pop friendly IMO

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Midway had the "free shipping over $49" thing going and I had like $53 worth of stuff in my basket and it would not give me the free shipping. So I stuck a few of the cardboard half silhouette in and ran the bill to about $59 and got free shipping. I bet he did not ship that big cardboard box for $6.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shop by total shipped price, wherever that takes me. Lately I’ve been buying .22s and shotshells from Rogers and Sportsmans Guide because they have free shipping on generally good prices, and have stuff others seem to struggle getting. Sometimes Larry is the only choice for tools I need, so he gets the nod. His policy of limiting ammo purchases to 3 boxes may be good for those who need hunting ammo, but I usually shoot that many every week at clays, and it would cost me a bundle on shipping and keep the UPS man pretty busy. I can get a case from Rogers, cheaper per box, and with free shipping.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
123 members (32_20fan, 338reddog, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 754 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,893
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.