24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
I'd like to build a TC Encore rifle. My only experience with the Encore is my .50 cal ML barrel.

What accuracy should I expect with a factory barrel vs. a custom barrel most likely from MGM?

My build will be a SS rifle barrel in either .308 or 7mm-08 cut to 22".

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
factory barrels look like sewer pipes.go mgm

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I like MGM barrels and have several for my Encores. You should expect excellent accuracy, if you do your part.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MGM all the way. Don't waste your money on factory unless you like chasing your tail

Last edited by selmer; 01/13/22.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Does anyone have an original TC barrel that you replaced with a custom barrel and the same cartridge? Give us a quick comparison?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I do not own a custom encore barrel so can not speak for them. I do own several factory barrels, older encore and newer pro hunter in bb and ss. All have shot well, some better then others. My shots are typically <100 yards so imo the added cost of custom isn’t worth it.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I don't have Encores but I do have three Contender G2's along with a dozen or so barrels. All are carbine barrels in a pretty even mix of factory and MGM. All of the MGM are extremely accurate and I've never had trouble with any of their barrels. Most all of the factory barrels have also been accurate except for one 23" 204 Ruger barrel that wasn't very good. It got outshot significantly by a CZ527 204, so I sold off the TC barrel. Do have one other custom barrel from SSK in 221 Fireball and so far I have not been impressed with it. Haven't had it long but from the couple outings so far it isn't doing so hot. Anyway, my 2 cents would be that you can't go wrong with MGM and I'd get one of those, but if for some reason you have to get factory you will most likely be good with that too.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have 2 MGM barrels, a 7mm-08 and a 45-70. Both shoot extremely well. I'm very happy with them.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Some years ago, I remember TC saying that they would be selling more frames with barrels, or something like that. Up here, we didn't see any of them, so most of us bought the frame and had to import barrels. All I've ever shot were Encore and Contender barrels made by MGM. But wondered how good their factory ones were.

There's a lot of truth to what ilikguns said. For close in shooting, it may not be worth it to buy an aftermarket barrel.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I've had factory 14" Contender barrels that would outshoot most people with their factory rifles. Can't speak for the TC factory rifle barrels but the contender pistol barrels I have had were great. All my rifle length barrels are Bullberry and of course they shoot great.

God Bless, Louis

IC B3

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
My brother had a couple rifles that shot sub moa. I have an 06 pistol that is also sub moa. Factory barrels. Edk

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have owned several factory and custom Encore bbls. MGM and Ed Brown. They all shoot good, it just seems like the Ed Brown barrel shot a little better and the MGM shot a little better than the Ed Brown. I just bought a MGM 357 MAX barrel and waiting for it to arrive. The factory TC barrels are cheaper so if that makes a difference, stay with them. Wallacem inGa

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My small sample of two T/C factory barrels both shoot sub 3/4 inch groups. A 20 gauge slug barrel I had shot the the same sized groups.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I I bought a 6.5 cm barrel from MGM’s in stock page. Couldn’t be happier, most groups are 1/2”-3/4” for 3 shots with 120 gr BT’s.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have lots of TC factory barrels & all shoot very well. S&W bought them out for their barrel making excellence.

"not too grumpy"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
ive had several Eabco barrels over the years, they shoot better than i can shoot them

J
J
It all depends on what you expect. I have been shooting Contenders and Encores for more years then I can remember. I don't remember having any barrel that would not shoot MOA if I did my part. Factory or Custom.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both factory and custom can produce good or poor shooting barrels. It's a case of barrel roulette. I have had a factory .260 barrel significantly outshoot a heavy EABCO barrel and a factory .243 barrel that significantly underperformed vs a standard taper EABCO barrel. Same for a fluted MGM 357 max barrel that could not keep up with several H&R handi rifle barrels. Every barrel is it's own creation. Buy them, try them, keep the good and sell the average.

God Bless America
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Don't over look the bergara barrels that are still floating around out there, I have one in 300 blackout its a one hole shooter if I do my part with 110 and 125gr noslers.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I agree that each Encore barrel has it's own personality. Some people like the Rochester N.H. barrels only and claim that the Springfield Ma. barrels are junk. You have to try them to find out. I have about 25 (all factory T.C.) and my two best shooters are Springfield s/s Pro Hunter 28" in 22-250 & 30-06. They will shoot cloverleaf groups all day long. I have three different receivers & use the Bellm oversized hinge pin. I sent all of my receivers to Steve Stratton to remove trigger creep and had him adjust the trigger pull to 2.5 lb. I highly recommend his hanger bar and forend modification setup for better accuracy.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
726 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.