K
Great buck!

BP-B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Nice to see those January rut bucks, congratulations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on that rut buck.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice mountain buck, congrats

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nicely done!

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thanks guys.

The last AL Jan rut buck is probably the heaviest deer I've killed. Rack is ok but for around here his body was big. Of course body size is smaller in the south, these are all running mountains, and in the rut. That one was 200 lbs with it's head still on the ground....it was at the top of the pulley in the skinning shed with no more height left to raise. He's a big boy for around here. When I started dragging him I knew he was heavy....when I stopped dragging I was pretty sure he was 300+...grin...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Thanks guys.

The last AL Jan rut buck is probably the heaviest deer I've killed. Rack is ok but for around here his body was big. Of course body size is smaller in the south, these are all running mountains, and in the rut. That one was 200 lbs with it's head still on the ground....it was at the top of the pulley in the skinning shed with no more height left to raise. He's a big boy for around here. When I started dragging him I knew he was heavy....when I stopped dragging I was pretty sure he was 300+...grin...

Nice , I’m heading up to Greenville tomorrow for 16 days of Alabama rut hunting. They haven't started yet in our area. Anytime between now and First week of Feb.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Had young bucks grunting and chasing does around my stands three times over the last week. Lots of running or trotting tracks on and across our camp roads too. This is the first year I’ve personally heard a snort-wheeze and I’ve heard it twice.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Had young bucks grunting and chasing does around my stands three times over the last week. Lots of running or trotting tracks on and across our camp roads too. This is the first year I’ve personally heard a snort-wheeze and I’ve heard it twice.

Oops. Double post. Sorry.

Last edited by navlav8r; 01/19/22.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Congrats. I am guessing you are in the South. The bucks in my area have already shed their antlers.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I swear I shot that things identical twin brother. Looking at the euro mount now.

Of course mine was probably just a little bigger ..........lol

Congrats - as much for still being out there as for actually getting that bad boy.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nice job Jay. That's a beauty of a buck

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Another good one Jay.

Congrats buddy

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Thanks guys.

Nice , I’m heading up to Greenville tomorrow for 16 days of Alabama rut hunting. They haven't started yet in our area. Anytime between now and First week of Feb.

I got there on the 19th got hunting right after a two day rain. Got cold and the rut was on. It was real good for about five days then it got slow. I shot two bucks that first week one was a big deer with one two foot long antler big around as a baseball bat with 3 points and one two inch spike on the other side. Older deer. The other was about 3 1/2 year old 8 point. Nice deer but sort of wish he had another year. Muddy as heck. I got red clay on everything I had with me. Great time.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Good deal Boarmaster123, especially on the older buck. Glad you enjoyed your time in 'bama!

It's a drawn out rut in our area because of the poor buck/doe ratio. Not as intense as it should be and a lot longer than it should be. Colder days do make things get kicking a bit.

I've seen several younger bucks over the past couple of weeks but nothing I wanted to take. I'll hunt the evenings of the 9th and 10th of this week then it's over....and I'm glad. I've been going since mid-October in GA and I'm beat down.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good deal Boarmaster123, especially on the older buck. Glad you enjoyed your time in 'bama!

It's a drawn out rut in our area because of the poor buck/doe ratio. Not as intense as it should be and a lot longer than it should be. Colder days do make things get kicking a bit.

I've seen several younger bucks over the past couple of weeks but nothing I wanted to take. I'll hunt the evenings of the 9th and 10th of this week then it's over....and I'm glad. I've been going since mid-October in GA and I'm beat down.

Thats about the same on our lease. We likely need to take about twice as many does as we do. For about five days it was crazy then shut down. I would see a few small bucks a day and no does. I left Sunday but the guys still up there started reported seeing more does Saturday evening thru today. But no bigger bucks. I hated to come home but after 16 days I needed to get back. Honestly I could stay in Alabama from Nov thru Feb 10th if I could.
One things for sure there you want to be weatherproof head to toe and equipment as well. Its something to see water pour thru them drains like rivers. But man what a mess I got to clean up.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yeah, it seems to rain more than it's dry during hunting season. I picked up one of the following on sale this year and I got a lot of use out of it. I wasn't sure if I'd like the extra length or not. It can be folded and buttoned to make it shorter, but I used it extended the entire season. Really good piece of raingear.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Sitka-Open-Country-Kodiak-Jacket-Optifade-Open-Country-50208-OB.aspx

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
congrats buddy!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Must be one O dem southern states, Bucks here in Mn are dropping horns for a week or so already.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Very nice buck!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
775 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 87 invisible), 3,089 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.