Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Yesterday
.257 Weatherby 100 gr TSX 3675 fps at 235 yds through both shoulders dead 1 shot[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is fuggin sweet! And shows you what proper placement can do.

My Nilgai didnt cooperate, so it turned into a last minute Axis hunt.

Trade you some steaks? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
^^^^^^^^^^LOL^^^^^^^^^^^

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gunner500
^^^^^^^^^^LOL^^^^^^^^^^^

Theres not many guys I'd let LOL at me....but I'll let this slide.

Just this one time....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Main, yet to see Captain Kayote, maybe that will soon change ; ]

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats DVD! Ya'll save us some thing to shoot grin We start our hunt with Clay and the gang on June 7th. Can't wait....look like they are getting a lot of rain. I am sure things are very green down there.

PASS IT ON!
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For the guys from down there- got any recommendations for good BBQ or taco joints in the Harlingen/ Port Isabel area? Headed down in a few weeks.

Last edited by OXN939; 01/17/22.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by OXN939
For the guys from down there- got any recommendations for good BBQ or taco joints in the Harlingen/ Port Isabel area? Headed down in a few weeks.

I'd also be very interested in BBQ/taco joints in that part of Africa!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I could ask some of my relatives down there for recommendations.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, that would be great!

We've only got around 50 pounds of wild pork left in the freezer, and may be making the pilgrimage next winter.....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Theres a Mom and Pop Mexican joint on the four way corner in Rio Hondo ( Dont remember the name, if it had one...) that is fantastic authentic Mexican food. And on your way down hit La Pasadita in Natalia Texas, south of San Antonio.

Last edited by ingwe; 01/18/22.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Talked to a rancher today at the farm store, he said they have been shooting Nilgai, from a chopper for the last 2 days, thinks he has killed about 40, he is covered up with Nilgai. and not happy about it. Rio7

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Youngest son and I are in the throes of working a cow nilgai hunt in South Texas, the Yturria Ranch.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EdM
Youngest son and I are in the throes of working a cow nilgai hunt in South Texas, the Yturria Ranch.

I've hunted the Yturria Ranch, neat place.

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

EdM, Nice place that should be a good hunt,post pic's. Rio7

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by RIO7

Talked to a rancher today at the farm store, he said they have been shooting Nilgai, from a chopper for the last 2 days, thinks he has killed about 40, he is covered up with Nilgai. and not happy about it. Rio7

Santa Rosa up west of Sarita is suppose to be doing this too. Least they were about 3-4 years ago. More for Tick fever than anything else I believe. Haven’t heard if they are still doing it. I did kill a young bull back in mid November suspected of having the fever. Didn’t look good.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by EdM

DF

We drove MILES on a nice blacktop ranch road before we got to the hacienda, which is quite a spread. There was a huge granite crypt for Senior Yterria's wife who had since passed. He was in his 90's back then; I would guess he's probably joined her by now.

Google Yterria history as it relates to Capt King and Capt Kenedy, circa Maximilian rule in Mexico, American Civil War and Reconstruction. Quite a story.

Reportedly the hacienda was about half way to the Gulf, which is said to include a lot of marsh land. Sr. Yterria is (was) big into preservation, reportedly his Gulf acreage is part of a wildlife preserve. There is a large fenced area for ocelot preservation. It's so thick, you can hardly walk in there. A wounded nilgai wading off into that could be a challenge to find. The Yterria Ranch is bordered on the North by a King Ranch division.

Soak up the history, enjoy the ranch, have a good hunt.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/19/22.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Better than axis?

I'm my opinion, No! Nilgai is good and have made it and had made many ways so I honestly say Axis is better. Again in my opinion.

MAGA! This is the way!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ingwe

Theres a Mom and Pop Mexican joint on the four way corner in Rio Hondo ( Dont remember the name, if it had one...) that is fantastic authentic Mexican food. And on your way down hit La Pasadita in Natalia Texas, south of San Antonio.

Thanks, good looks! Flying into HRL and driving from there though. Looks like high 60s during the day, 40s at night- should be decent enough conditions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Probably the Norias. I did a nilgai hunt their several years ago. It is covered with all types of game as well as history.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM

DF

We drove MILES on a nice blacktop ranch road before we got to the hacienda, which is quite a spread. There was a huge granite crypt for Senior Yterria's wife who had since passed. He was in his 90's back then; I would guess he's probably joined her by now.

Google Yterria history as it relates to Capt King and Capt Kenedy, circa Maximilian rule in Mexico, American Civil War and Reconstruction. Quite a story.

Reportedly the hacienda was about half way to the Gulf, which is said to include a lot of marsh land. Sr. Yterria is (was) big into preservation, reportedly his Gulf acreage is part of a wildlife preserve. There is a large fenced area for ocelot preservation. It's so thick, you can hardly walk in there. A wounded nilgai wading off into that could be a challenge to find. The Yterria Ranch is bordered on the North by a King Ranch division.

Soak up the history, enjoy the ranch, have a good hunt.

DF

I appreciate the reply DF. Years ago I hunted a place that bordered the Kennedy and took a nice bull with my Ruger RS 35 Whelen and the 250 gr Partition. It now looks like we are leaning towards the King Ranch for next spring. I have my youngest chasing this.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

705 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 160user, 16Racing, 66 invisible), 3,103 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.