Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by Calvin
Being broke is often passed down from generation to generation. I can’t wrap my head around it but people just live like that.

Ilove the quote "If you wake up in the morning broke, you shouldn't have been sleeping"

Sounds like Dave Ramsey.

It seems that many people are addicted to instant gratification. It also seems that many people cannot do simple addition and subtraction.

Last edited by gregintenn; 01/19/22.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Many focus on a lack of money, not enough focus on a society that normalizes excessive consumption and stupid spending habits. And credit card companies and other usurers enable this kind of behavior. Personally I share the bible's position on this.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
No problem for me. Hard to believe there are so many who could not.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The bigger question is could you cover a $1,000 bet if you lost.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Half of Americans who live on or near min wage go out to eat 4 to 6 days a week.

Last edited by ribka; 01/19/22.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ribka
Half of Americans who live on or near min wage go out to eat 4 to 6 days a week.

& buy lunch everyday !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve known many over the years that probably couldn’t come up with $500, much less $1000.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
The bigger question is could you cover a $1,000 bet if you lost.

🙊

He can.
But his his head is so far down the Q hole that he’s unwilling to admit he was led astray by a PSYOP.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I’m not all that surprised.

We live in a low wage service jobs society. Nearly all of my day to day purchases and transactions from buying groceries, to fast food, family type restaurants, gun stores, hardware stores, clothes, fuel, appliances and household items ect, ect. Hardly any of the employees own the business or sell products manufactured here. It’s nearly all at or just above minimum wage workers employed by a big box or chain store selling products manufactured in China. It’s probably that way for almost all of us.

Unless I’m going to see my doctor or a lawyer odds are pretty good that the person I’m buying a product or service from probably makes very little money with a few rich folks at the top of corporate ownership.

I disagree.
I know virtually all of my nieces and nephews (about 25 people) are in their mid 30s to mid 50s. None of them come from money, at all. Eighty percent of them have nice homes, decent cars, very good careers. A couple have likely moved in to seven figures net worth, and all of the rest of the 80% are doing quite well and $1000 in unplanned expense would be a non issue. The other 20%, all from one “non father” and wife are just getting by, because they were not raised right. Also I know a lot of other non relatives that are not top echelon in their job/career, that are doing pretty well.
You don’t have to be a doctor, lawyer or corporate exec to do well in the USA, but being stupid financially makes for a rough life.

It wasn’t my intent to claim that you need to be a doctor, lawyer or corporate exec. I’m certainly none of those things and can cover 1k.

My point being that the US has turned into a low wage service industry rather than a decent wage manufacturing economy. How many transactions for goods and services on a daily basis do most of us make with minimum wage level employees? It’s the big majority IMO.

Gone are the days where you buy an appliance, gas, or groceries from a mom and pop business owner making a decent income. We buy them from Best Buy, Home, Depot, Speedway, Walmart, Kroger ect with minimum wage clerks and shelf stockers, and typically low wage store management and a small handful of executives at the top with most of what’s sold manufactured in China. We don’t manufacture and what we sell at retail is sold by corporate giants.

Literally the vast majority of transactions that most of us have day to day in our lives is with at or close to minimum wage workers.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by Calvin
Being broke is often passed down from generation to generation. I can’t wrap my head around it but people just live like that.

Ilove the quote "If you wake up in the morning broke, you shouldn't have been sleeping"

"not too grumpy"
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
LOVE THAT QUOTE !!!!!

"not too grumpy"
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by gregintenn
If a $1000 will fix it, it ain't really an emergency.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tell me that again after lightning fries your water pump or your fridge/freezer conks out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I work at a bank I overhear people making their vehicle payments one for her one for him one at $700 the other one at $1,200 .... what the hell !! Who needs that !!! On top of that you have to buy insurance and then fill the thing up .... how the hell do you have fun when you spend that kind of money on just your freaking four wheels...lol

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i remember being young and naive about money, job security, etc and let my ass hang out a little too far. let things run a little thin but thankfully never got bit. i also remember feeling fat, dumb and happy and having a good bit of money saved, good job, etc and getting slammed with layoffs i never saw coming when the dotcom bubble blew. i saw grown men cry and throw schit around their offices, threaten to burn the place down, etc. it was a sick feeling and it really made an impression on me.

My diploma is a DD214
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by gregintenn
If a $1000 will fix it, it ain't really an emergency.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tell me that again after lightning fries your water pump or your fridge/freezer conks out.

That’s home maintenance; not an emergency. Happens all the time. Be prepared for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have to add... I ant hurting in no ways nowadays....but I was a CASH guy for like 10-12 years....never had so much money or the stuff I got with it smile nowadays days the cards can eat your lunch

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the 80' s I remember when you couldn't buy beer with a cc...or a bunch of other things ..u guys remember that ?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Lived in an auto manufacturing area.
Kids in HS got new cars at 16.
Dual income UAW jobs. Expected the factories to hire them.

Main one gone, satellite support gone.
Retirees went to FL, recession had many younger just walk away, leave homes to the banks.

Minor uptick w another company.
Hear HS grads.....buying new 4x4 and having kids, buying houses.....i dunno how they do it at 20 bucks an hr.

Ol lady must have Only Fans or sumpthin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from sayingimages.com]

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

601 members (19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,000 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,237
Posts18,447,813
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.