Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I love to fish for trout, and I love the colors in a Brookie or a rainbow, but
probably my least favorite fish to eat though.
Does anyone actually prefer trout over other species?
Grouper, sword fish, tuna, redfish, speckled trout, striped bass in no particular order would be top of my list.

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I caught some steelhead from Lake Michigan that were really good on the grill. I imagine from Salt they are much better. They weren't my favorite but I would be happy to catch and cook them again. I don't get salt water species here, obviously.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had some lake trout last night.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It was fuggin delicious !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I am not a fan of trout/salmon unless smoked. I am more of a milder tasting fish like walleye, perch, sunfish, catfish. I like fish that doesn’t taste like fish.😁

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I love trout. I used to fish steelhead and salmon, but I much prefer a 2lb trout for eating. My fave is a 12" cutthroat cooked on the coals of a tiny fire streamside. I also love frying up a mess of little Brookies.
My second fave is Crappie, but they are more work.

Last edited by dla; 01/20/22.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Maybe it’s because all we get is stocked trout. Doubt the meat is anywhere close to the taste of native trout.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Favor brookies over rainbow for the pan sized versions and residents as opposed to hatchery stockers. Steelhead (sea run rainbow) for steaks/fillets/smoking. Mostly my issue with the smaller fish is dealing with bones.

1Minute
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jackmountain: Got up at 6:00 AM this morning and headed out ice fishing - way below freezing and the ride on the ATV to our ice shack from shore was CHILLING, even though I was well dressed.
Caught 6 Rainbow Trout through the ice - put three small ones back and I dressed out my limit (3 Trout).
Got home at 1 PM and froze all but one nice big 20 incher with really pink/orange flesh.
The VarmintWife and I cooked it up and ate it when she got home from work.
It was wonderful!
The ice was a measured 19" thick and yet these trout were well fed and bellies full.
Again - the trout we ate tonight was wonderful - very tasty, very firm and very satisfying!
Secrets (IMO!) to cooking Rainbow Trout - NEVER, EVER let lemon anywhere near the fish while it is cooking!
Cook Rainbow Trout to nearly "well done"!
Use seasonings sparingly and after careful taste tests.
These winter caught Rainbow Trout are not only wonderful baked or fried they are simply sublime when "smoked".
I really LIKE Rainbow Trout.
Fresh caught Halibut, fresh caught Sockeye Salmon and fresh caught Steelhead are a "tad" ahead of Rainbow Trout on my "tasty" list but I never turn down Rainbow Trout.
To each their own I guess?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Maybe it’s because all we get is stocked trout. Doubt the meat is anywhere close to the taste of native trout.

Yeah..I'd rather eat-and catch- carp than stocked trout. Frankly though I'm not wild about eating any fish with fins, and trout are at the bottom of that list.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Despite loving fishing for and catching them, I've never much cared for their flavor.
A few exceptions: Steelhead is freaking delicious. Brook trout is too - though to be clear, the species is actually a char.
Smoked cutts can be delicious with a glass of pinot. Golden trout I've eaten in quantities, though there again it may have had much to do with the location.. I think anything tastes good at 11000 feet elevation

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
To me, all trout are nasty regardless of where you catch them. This includes steelhead. They are strictly a sport fish to me. If one doesn’t look like it will survive, I’ll keep it and freeze it for crab bait. The only salmon I really like are chinook (but not tules). I can tolerate coho and sockeye if they’re smoked. Rockfish, lingcod, small halibut, and walleyes are my favorite.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Trout are decent but really not much taste to them as far as stockers . I do eat a lot of them this time of year. Had some from the Jackson last week.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
You're right about the native trout though. Friend of mine has a camp at the base of Spruce knob in Wva. One of those drive 5 miles back a dead end road and open the locked gate and go another 4 miles. Sunrise is about 11 am and its gone by 130 but its a great native stream right in front of the cabin. At least once a year in the spring we catch a handful of 11-13" natives and have a fish fry with fried potatoes and ramps. Don't get much better by hillbilly standards

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Brook, Rainbow, Cutthroat, Steehead trout and Artic Char - all good eating when fresh, but they don't keep well even when frozen. I'll freeze bookies sometimes if I've had a good weekend haul, but find its best to thaw and cook within a few months.

Lake trout, meh, not a big fan.

Don't know about brown, bull, golden trout - haven't had the chance to try them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nope don't like em. The only fish I keep to eat are yellow perch, walleye and crappie.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Love fishing for trout, especially since I have taken up fly fishing
While they're not my favorite to eat, we do eat a lot of them.
Still prefer walleye,crappie,flatheads, small bass,etc
But damned if trout aren't fun to catch

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best "eating" fish to me are bluegills, lightly floured and fried in butter.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pal
Best "eating" fish to me are bluegills, lightly floured and fried in butter.

I’ll have to disagree. Crappie the way GrandDad fried them in an old iron skillet when I was a kid. And then catfish.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brook trout are my favorite trout to eat. I don't care for hatchery raised trout with flavorless white flesh. Wild trout with nice firm orange meat are where it's at for flavor.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When I moved to Utah, I had never caught a trout in my life. Took up fly fishing and caught a lot of them. When you say "fish" to a native Utahn, it only means one thing: trout, and usually stocked rainbows. I now know why many anglers consider trout to be catch and release only. They're tasteless, flaccid, and off-putting in color. From some of our lakes that have snails, trout meat is actually gray. I now consider trout to be trash fish.

I recently gave away all my fly fishing gear, and I wouldn't accept a "slimer" for the table if offered one. Fortunately, we have perch, crappie, walleye, stripers, wipers, white bass, large and smallmouth bass, bluegills, catfish, and more. ANY of those beat trout by a mile on the table. We have lakes where there are so many walleye, stripers, and smallmouth bass that you are encouraged to catch and kill all you can.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
425 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 37 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,001 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,917
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.