Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I will be spending a few days fishing in Utah.
One of the lakes we will hit has some Muskies.

Are steel leaders necessary ?

My brother really wants to catch one, so we will troll some big lures, and if we find the right place, stop and try casting.

Med/heavy spinning tackle, 20LB braid tipped with 20 lb fluorocarbon.
A snap and 5-6 inch minnow lures.

Should I use a short steel leader ?

MOLON LABE
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Probably tiger muskies being that it's Utah. Yes a leader is absolutely necessary. Not just for teeth but they have a really sharp gill plate as well.

I prefer 130# flurocarbon for a leader with a good snap like a stay-lok. But a steel leader is fine. Go long rather than short. A big muskie can take the bait deep and get to your main line. The general rule is for the leader to be at least as long as the lure. Longer wouldn't hurt. I like a 12-14" leader.

I'd go heavier on the braid. And ditch the spinning reel if possible.

Without knowing the lake structure and depth you are trying to fish it's hard to recommend lures. But it's usually a shallow water game. For minnowbaits I like 6-7" slammers. Should also have some bucktails. A mepps marabou in black body and nickel blades would be a great one to add. If your rod can handle it, rubber is a favorite of mine. Bulldawgs and Medusa's account for a lot of fish for me. You don't have to fish the giants. A Mini Medusa and a regular bulldawg will catch fish all year long.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Ky221, thanks.
Yes, Tiger Muskies.
Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
I have one casting rig with a Shimano Cardiff and heavier braid for trolling.
Our mail target is bigger trout, but I plan to spend a day and ½ targeting Muskies.
I made up a bunch of 12” steel leaders, and I’ll probably pick up some 130# Floro.

MOLON LABE
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I have a shimano Cardiff. I don't use it. I bought it as a spare.

Define heavier braid for trolling? I run 80# Cortland exclusively and have for years. Your Cardiff will cast that no problem. 80# is kind of the industry standard. Some guys run 65# but most run 80#. If you happen to get a backlash mid cast with a 8-12oz lure it helps keep your line from snapping.

I'd use the casting rig if it were me. I don't know a single guy running spinning gear for muskies. Not saying it can't be done but it's not really the best way to go about it.

Biggest tip I can give you is to keep casting. Don't get discouraged. Never knew of anyone to catch a muskie without a bait in the water. Being that tigers are 1/2 pike id say it ups your odds of catching one. They seem to be more willing to bite. I'm sure you know by now about a muskies tendency to want to follow a bait? Always be looking 1-2ft behind your bait. When you see a fish behind it; do not under any circumstances slow the bait down so he can "catch it". Trust me. He can. Do the opposite; speed it up as fast as you can and you'll see him pour on the speed. Make him think it's getting away. They only want what they can't have and you can use this to your advantage. Same reason the figure 8 works. And you should do it after every cast. Just because you don't see a fish there doesn't mean one isn't following low. And that sudden change of direction by the boat is often enough to make one roll up and take a swing at it.

Good luck!

A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
It's a Cardiff 300 with 40 lb Power Pro. I know, light by your standards.
I'm not expecting the monsters you catch, just hoping for a 30 inch fish.
I didn't want to spend a fortune on new gear, but we'll see.
If I catch a few, or get broken off on a big fish I my be hitting the local Sportsman's with the credit card.

MOLON LABE
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
bump it up to med hvy
65lb braid 80lb floro leaders 36in for trolling (leaders will rub on rocks)
8-12in minnow baits (grandmas,belivers,ernies,super shad raps)
get very good rod holders (flobee,driftmaster) you will get VERY tired holding the rods
all those baits cast very well also

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Do you guys that use braid put a backing line on your reels before you put the braid on?

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Do you guys that use braid put a backing line on your reels before you put the braid on?

Electrical tape.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was it Denny Brauer who said he taped the line onto his reels cause he couldn't make a knot work? This was on Leno or Letterman, some late night show. That's what I do but I don't muskie fish, I use a lot of Power Pro and Fire line for walleye

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,295
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.