Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Is there an excellent comprehensive book out there that a (beginner to coyotes) person could get the basics.... plus a little more? Soup to nuts?

I've gotten some good advice on this board and from a couple guys in p.m.'s and phone calls, but as an old school type, I sure do like a page turner where a person could read a chapter a night and let it soak in.

Thanks in advance!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gerry Blair

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Rick Jamison wrote one "Calling Coyotes and other Predators". I thought it was pretty good.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Jerry Blair was a cool dude. I have a couple of autographed
books around here....somewhere.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All the above, Ron Spomer from his younger days, Phil Gostomski and if you can find Tony Tebbis CD's are great.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

U-Tube, Coyote hunting, lots of good info there. Rio7

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Randy Anderson's THE TRUTH Calling All Coyotes series of videos are entertaining and educational.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
While this is not exclusively a book on coyote hunting they often have articles about coyote and predator hunting. It is one of my favorite magazines, I have read it for many decades it is not only generally good reading but it always brings takes me back to a much younger me.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I rate Gerry Blair about tops, Randy Anderson is good & has a bunch of stuff out. I could pick up tips from most any of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drover
While this is not exclusively a book on coyote hunting they often have articles about coyote and predator hunting. It is one of my favorite magazines, I have read it for many decades it is not only generally good reading but it always brings takes me back to a much younger me.

drover

I'll take a guess... Fur Fish & Game magazine?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by drover

drover

I'll take a guess... Fur Fish & Game magazine?

A big whoops on me - I forgot to include the link - yes, FF&G https://www.furfishgame.com/

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Andrew Lewand has some paperbacks on Eastern Yote hunting, good basics.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you live in a place, like Illinois, where night hunting with thermal optics is lawful, the rules are changing drastically.

I used to begin calling coyotes after all the other seasons closed. Now the night shooters are starting up in mid November and by thanksgiving or thereabout pretty much every coyote in my region has been called to, and either killed or gotten his diploma...

Doesn't help that Illinois is 99% private land and the bulk of the thermal optics night guys are farmers, or family of, who never before hunted til they found their new toys. They have their phones on OnX huntmap and places marked all over. They hunt each others places by agreement and deny access to daytime hunters.

Farmers who used to laugh about me making a fool of myself with a foxpro, are now thick into it, and still laughing at me.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And the night guys are not just killing coyotes. A friend manages one of his dad's acreages for their personal deer and bird hunting. He has noted an increase in birds that he attributes to him trapping or night shooting more than 600 raccoon over the last 3 years.

He has a private video of himself emptying a 20 round AR mag, killing 18 coon at one setup. He videos right through his scope, and every shot has a date time stamp. 12 minute video covering an hours worth of shooting/calling.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have an early Jerry Blair "Predator Calling" book...meh.

Better info, online.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Blu C's: I recommend to my new to Coyote Hunting friends and acquaintances the videos (and there are a LOT of them!) by Randy Anderson.
I owned 2 or 3 of them and loaned them out and they never came back!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I will sell my copy of Calling Coyotes and Other Predators by Rick Jamison if you are interested.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Lots of good podcasts too if thats your thing. Oneil Ops just did a 3 hour video with a pretty well known coyote caller

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
[Linked Image]

Hunting with Gerry Blair in preparation for his article in Predator Xtreme Magazine titled "Predator Magnets," Gerry killed that one from short range with his 10 gauge. Halloween 2007 and we had a good time.

Here's a list of brief book reviews that ought to give you some ideas. It's a broad list of topics from biology to mythology, not just hunting. Read the reviews at:

http://deserthunter.com/dhp/content/coyote-hunters-library

Calling Coyotes East and West by Dennis Kirk
Calling Coyotes by Rick Jamison
Calling East & West by Gerry Blair
Coyote Hunting by Phil Simonski
Coyote by Wyman Meinzer
Coyotes, Trappers, Sheepherders, and Urbanites by Frank Turkowski
Coyotes: Biology, Behavior, and Management by Marc Bekoff Ed.
Coyotes: Predators & Survivors by Charles L. Cadieux
God's Dog by Hope Ryden
Hunting Predators - Proven Tactics That Work by Gordy Krahn
Hunting Predators For Hides and Profit by Wilf E. Pyle
Predator Caller's Companion by Gerry Blair
Predator Calling with Gerry Blair 1st ed.
Predator Calling with Gerry Blair 2nd ed.
Predator Hunting by Ron Spomer
The Clever Coyote by Stanley Young and Hartley Jackson
The Coyote Hunter by Don Laubach
The Voice of the Coyote by J. Frank Dobie
The World of the Coyote by Joe Van Wormer
Varmint Hunter's Digest by Jim Dougherty
Wonders of Coyotes by Sigmund A. Lavine

And if you hunt with a shotgun there are a couple of decent articles, one on hunting in heavy cover, and another about closing the deal on the same website. Shotgunning is a whole different animal.

If I had to pick a favorite, it would be Jim Dougherty's Varmint Hunter Digest, long out of print, but usually available from a used book seller for a few bucks and here's why. After reading that whole list of books a few times, it's pretty clear Jim's was the first, probably the best, and what came after were copycats. Jim's was the only book with an archery chapter. Jim hunted in jeans and boots with a cowboy hat. He was a trailblazer.

Last edited by Gary_in_CA; 08/11/22.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Coyote Hunting by Phil Simonski

While reading this book, sitting next to a computer with internet, I looked up Mr Simonski and his phone number was included. So I just called him! Very kind man interested in what a novice was doing. He asked if I used the skunk cover scent. When I responded “Hell no! I am not putting skunk scent on me”, he laughed so hard he might have strained a muscle. He told me to put it on something close to and he knew what a beginner I was. He was very interesting and kind.

I am still somewhat of a novice, but after reading some, you just need to go out and hunt. Fix the mistakes you make and do your own learning. Be safe.

Last edited by JustLucky; 08/18/22. Reason: Punctuation

2 b 1 ask 1 !
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 21 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,506
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.