Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Greetings

I have a Winchester 70 featherweight xtr that I have enjoyed over the last few years as a deer/ hog gun. It has a leupold v2 on it and I recently was give the opportunity to upgrade to a 2.5x 15 x56 mm scope.

Having zero experience with a 56 mm scope before I was wonder if anyone to could their opinions and experiences with this size objective? It doesn’t appear that I will have any cheek weld issues with the rifle .

Any pictures of 56 mm scopes on model 70? Thanks

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
BP-B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
How much does it weigh or is that of importance?

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That size of an objective is way too big for an XTR FWT. Do yourself a favor and go to something more suitable for the rifle. A more traditional 3-9x40 or 2.5-8x36 will be your huckleberry..

Just for schidts and giggles, here is a fwt with a hubble on top and it isn't even as big as the scope you are looking at putting on your rifle:

Zeiss conquest with 44mm objective (56mm is much bigger):
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Same rifle with 3-9x40:
You wouldn't believe what a difference in feel, handling, and balance it made by going to the lighter smaller scope. The bigger scope made it feel very top heavy and awkward when carrying in the field. Just something to keep in mind..

Even better yet is something like the 2.5-8x36:

And just for the sake of XTR featherweights, here's one with a 3-9x40 on top:

A scope like you are talking about would serve you better on top of a tactical rifle, where you are going to have a rail and robust rings to hold the thing. Something more like a CTR:
^^^That's a 56mm objective on this rifle. Just to give you an idea.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Winnie70

Not of importance

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BoxerDog, I have gone through a bit of experimentation with my riflescopes on one of my favorite hunting rifles, this M70FW 270 WIN. I started out with a 2.5 - 8 x 36 VX-III but due to deteriorating vision needed more light during those first and last 15 - 20 minutes. I tried a Meopta 56MM and it worked, but the rifle became ungainly to handle, carry, even visually it looked out of place. I replaced it with a VX-6 with 30 mm tube and 42 MM objective. This is the best compromise I have found, even got the red dot version which helps me locate the center of the crosshair in very low light against dark backgrounds (such as in a swamp). Good luck in your quest, shown below in order as mentioned. Odessa
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Boxerdog

Not of importance

That begs the question: If weight is of no importance then why a featherweight rifle in the first place?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Odessa
BoxerDog, I have gone through a bit of experimentation with my riflescopes on one of my favorite hunting rifles, this M70FW 270 WIN. I started out with a 2.5 - 8 x 36 VX-III but due to deteriorating vision needed more light during those first and last 15 - 20 minutes. I tried a Meopta 56MM and it worked, but the rifle became ungainly to handle, carry, even visually it looked out of place. I replaced it with a VX-6 with 30 mm tube and 42 MM objective. This is the best compromise I have found, even got the red dot version which helps me locate the center of the crosshair in very low light against dark backgrounds (such as in a swamp). Good luck in your quest, shown below in order as mentioned. Odessa

That rifle does look great with the VX6 on it.

It is tough to maintain nice lines and still have a good enough scope for the swamps and darker canopy some of us deer hunters dig into.

I am sorta dealing with the same thing. Ran a M8 4x, S&B 6x and have ordered a Kaps 1.5x6 for the Featherweight 270. Hoping the Kaps works as well as I hope.

Last edited by beretzs; 01/21/22.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I hear y'all about the need for maximum magnification at the beginning and end of a hunting day. It's a moot point for me as I'm no longer apt to get my butt out of bed early enough to need it, and long before it's dark in the woods my visions of a tasty meal and glass of scotch have long since caused me to depart! Priorities!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I hear y'all about the need for maximum magnification at the beginning and end of a hunting day. It's a moot point for me as I'm no longer apt to get my butt out of bed early enough to need it, and long before it's dark in the woods my visions of a tasty meal and glass of scotch have long since caused me to depart! Priorities!

There is that too whistle

I think Bob used a S&B Summit in 2-10 on his primary killer. It made a lot sense for what he wanted.

Semper Fi
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I bought this rifle on a deal of deals … it was a safe queen that lived most of its life in a safe from the 1980s till I bought it from a guy that shot it 6 times and sold it to me at a fraction of its value a few years ago. I hunt a few hundred acres in texas so adding weight to my rifle isn’t a deal breaker in my situation.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
no deals for me on any pre-64`s this Christmas 2021 ,but i was able to purchase my grandson a older Red pad Ruger # 1 -1B 257 Roberts that is like new a couple of weeks after Christmas from a great guy ! it was a late Christmas present for 10 yr. old grandson Alex someday he will understand the value of such a Ruger #1 as there is with Winchester pre 64 model 70`s .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Let’s change my original question…….let’s discuss a 50 mm scope on my 70 xtr.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Odessa

Great pictures Odessa. I'm glad someone else posts pics here. As for the op's question regarding the 50 and 56mm objectives, I agree they are too big and "ungainly", as you said. A 42mm is about tops for me. I'll be heading out to pick up my XTR FWT 22-250 I recently bought and that rifle has an older gloss Burris 4-12x40 on it and that is just about right for that rifle. I plan on pulling the adjustable windage mounts on that rifle and putting on a set of DD's, as per usual. I'll take some pics and post them. As I told the OP in a PM, I would be looking more at the Meopta 3.5-10x44, since he gets a big discount on the Meopta products. But that is probably about the biggest scope I'd look at running on an XTR FWT. Even at that, it is going to seem slightly out of skew on that rifle.. Something more svelte seems more fitting. Even a gloss burris 3-9x40 with ballistic plex would work and look great. I'm also in agreement with gnoahh. When he asks why a FWT rifle, if weight is of no concern. The true beauty of a lightweight rifle is keeping it lightweight and balanced optimally. I'm sure we have all had and used a top heavy feeling rifle in the field. I hate them, personally. One day in the field with a rifle will tell me all I need to know about them and what needs to be changed. I do a lot of walking when I'm hunting though. Some of you guys sit in a stand all day, so weight and balance may not be an issue. This may be the case with the op.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks gents, glad to try and add a little bit to the discussion.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.