Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
mpb Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi folks,

So I'm looking at this very nice custom 270 Mauser sporter, issue is it has no story, no history. Hoping some of you might be able to identify a potential custom gun smith from way back

Think the rifle was likely sportorized during the 1950s. Don't think it's a Bubba job, workmanship is outstanding, plus it's wearing a Griffin and Howe side mount with a Hensoldt 6x scope - it also has a quarter rib sight. Someone spent quit a bit of money on it at some point.

Only identifying marks are the very small initials A.L.D on the right side of the receiver (in gold) just before the barrel. The number .270 (obviously the caliber) also in gold on the barrel next to the initials. Finally, it has a gold Mauser emblem on the top of the receiver just before the barrel. Beyond this it has the serial number 2 and all other markings have apparently been removed.

Picture attached - thanks in advance for any ideas!

Attached Images
unnamed.jpg (3.01 KB, 399 downloads)
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Definitely not a bubba job.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
M
mpb Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi folks,

So here's some more info - it has an emblem on top of the receiver consistent with what folks refer to as a "banner Mauser" - they've emphasized this with gold. It has also got a tang safety on the left side top of the wrist of the stock.

I wonder if this is a commercial Mauser sporter that has been customized. Suspect some identifying marks are hiding behind the scope side mount.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pics you can actually see would be helpful.

M
mpb Offline OP
OP Offline
M
More info again - so I found a picture on the internet of the same Mauser emblem on another gun and they refer to it as an "Era Crest" exact same symbol and interestingly in the picture it is gold as well. The gun with the similar symbol on the internet they say is an -OM military "Standard Modell".

IC B2

M
mpb Offline OP
OP Offline
M

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've never seen a safety like that on a Mauser. Interesting

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I'm seeing it correctly, the bolt stop/ejector is a little different too.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Based on these pics, which are incomplete, I'll offer some opinions.
1. The market is crazy these days but the price is about right IF you want an older 270.
2. Workmanship is not outstanding. I say that based on how the bolt handle is shaped, bordered, and checkered. The cheekpiece is kind of a blob and there are a lot of rounded edges on the metal which makes me think it was overpolished prior to being blued, or that it's been reblued and was overpolished then. For outstanding, check out http://www.hallowellco.com/magazine.htm or https://stevebarnettfineguns.com/rifles
3. Lines make or break a custom rifle. In this case, the fluting at the nose of the comb is crude and coarse. Same goes for the cheekpiece. This alone keeps this rifle out of the master class. The odd shape here plus the safety makes me think this rifle was built for a shooter who was left handed, left-eye dominant, or both, perhaps as the result of an injury.
4. Master-class custom rifles are built on a theme and master makers don't mix themes. In this case, you have English details like a quarter rib and a floor plate release inside the trigger guard bow, plus the lines of a classic American sporter and fleur-de-lys checkering. That all holds up for a master-class rifle built just after WWII. But you also have white-line spacers, a ventilated recoil pad, and jeweling on the bolt handle, none of which a master rifle maker would have put on a rifle built on a modernized English theme.
5. The optics are a mish-mash. The mount is so far to the rear that the riflemaker had to modify the bolt stop for everything to fit. I'd bet a box of ammo that this mount was built for a Springfield or Model 70, both of which are essentially small-ring designs. But this 270 is a large-ring action so the maker had to move the mount so far aft that you can't use the bolt stop normally. Again, not a master-class move. You can see a G&H sidemount properly installed on a large-ring Mauser at https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...howe-98-custom.cfm?gun_id=101675023#lg-2

So not a Bubba job but also not the work of a master craftsman. On the bright side, this rifle looks like it was built to match the tastes of one person, who then hunted it extensively. That owner probably loved it and just picking it up made good memories come flooding back.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 01/28/22.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by z1r
Pics you can actually see would be helpful.

+1 - PHOTOS ABSOLUTELY & at least one of the whole rifle highly desirable!

Couple of mine with the receiver crests I believe subject of this inquiry. both, of course, Oberndorf Mauser production. First is Chinese contract. Second, for contrast, a Commercial Single Square Bridge intermediate in 7x57.
I'd find it strange IF a commercial Obie for the action to be scrubbed! Such in its genre, rather like the linked "RR" symbol for a classic Rolls Royce being removed. My assumption consonant with more likely military origins rework,

Best!
John

Attached Images
R5-2U.jpg (19.44 KB, 229 downloads)
R83-7U.jpg (22.33 KB, 229 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 01/28/22.
IC B3

M
mpb Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Okie John and John,

Thank you both. Okie John that's really valuable feedback - I'm learning and have got lots to learn!

John, it's got the thumb cutout which I now understand means it's likely a military convert.

I found the comments both interesting, valuable, and useful. It's fascinating to me that I suspect there are lots of guns like this floating around. I've noticed posts that describe seeing guns like this at gun shows that just sit and never sell. Seems like there's three groups of these sportorized Mausers. The top tier appears to be what Okie-John refers to as Master Class rifles. Most of these appear to self identify by shop/gunmaker (i.e., Griffin and Howe, Biesen, etc.) The next tier appears to be composed of rifles like the one. Rifles likely completed by local/regional gunsmiths, good quality but at the same time guns with flaws to sophisticated eyes. In the case of this rifle, I would have missed everything Okie John pointed out with the exception of the white line spacers and ventilated recoil pad which did stand out to me. I also thought there was likely something strange going on with the bolt release body but didn't make the link to the likely misfited side mount. The last category is obviously everything else - mostly I suspect composed of poorly done Bubba jobs.

It doesn't seem there is really much of a market for these "mid tier" guns. Absent a pedigree, compelling story or provenance as I find they call it - they are pretty much orphans. They are likely to much money and to quirky for someone wanting just a "nice rifle". These folks will go by a new Model 70 and be happy. Then you have someone who is willing to pay the money for a nice, collectible rifle. I suspect many of these folks will pass and say "well I'm not sure what I'm looking at here, I'll wait a couple of years and save up the 7,500 or 10,000 and buy a Master Class rifle - better known commodity". In the end this is unfortunate for these rifles and potential purchasers as I suspect there are many nice rifles that get left on the shelves. What I think you're seeing is the intersection of where gun as hobby versus gun as investment meet.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All else aside, the styling is dated. The only time such fetches a good price is if it does come with a pedigree and is unmolested.

And, as has been said, the styling is a mishmash. That particular example is way overpriced.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
z1r another plus 1. This G33/40 of reference is a hybrid which doesn't benefit from either the traditional 33/40 'aura' of lightweight carbine type mountaineering military rifle, nowadays standard lightweight & ergonomically contemporary rifle, or much of the simple, straightforward-traditional midcentury-modern era sporter.
It IS a rifle which is unique, but that said, the term cuts both ways. It's frankly, within some of my own battery of rifles as "ringing my chimes" and no further personal justification required. Yet also the 'reality factor' as exemplary of the saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!" Yet simply not ascribing any popularly acclaimed "value".
Next, to set straight a misnomer purported in this Thread. 'Almost' all Pattern 98 Mauser rifles, military or commercial sporter in origin; shared the "thumb-cut" left receiver sidewall feature. There were some limited number Oberndorf Mauser Sporters with solid sidewall feature. Only as principally into the early post WWII era, such as FN Belgium introduced commercial Model 98 sporters of solid left sidewall design. Most always accompanied by the so-called "low scope bolt" handle configuration. and the earliest models of those, retained 'vestigial' non-functional remnants of the classic stripper clip modality.
The Model 98 predecessors reflected in Mauser Models: 96, 95, 94, 93 91,88 & perhaps earlier rifles, preceded the "receiver thumb-cut development. Such to my recollection & belief.

Best!
John

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Happy to be helpful.

Keep studying the mid-tier guns. Every once in a while you'll see one that's almost as good as a master-class rifle, but without a name attached, and it will sell for a fraction of what the master-class rifle would bring.

The biggest issue with the mid-tier guns is that they can be heavy.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
M
mpb Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks again all!

So would this Walter Abe custom Mauser be considered a master class gun - I like it’s simplicity, however the seller notes graciously that the stock is “fair” piece of wood - which I suspect indicates (along with the price) that it’s a good high quality but not master class rifle.

This piece has also got more pedigree and story.

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default...amp;mid=409&StyleID=2&GunID=3554

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
"Buy the gun, not the story!" An absolute truism particularly in excuse for boosting asking prices! Noting the tremendous amount of hype concerning the purported maker. "Master class" gunmaker/gun; one of a bunch of competent custom makers at best. A half century later, to most simply hype barely qualifying for "Ho hum!" The rifle appears nice, but nothing to my view, ultra spectacular. That 'net-net', as therein the best value assessment! The FN Supreme action utilized, the last edition of such FN mauser breed. Such reflecting as most prominent feature anew, the traditional "striker impinging" mauser safety as redesigned & relocated to a trigger impinging style unit commensurate with adjustable trigger assembly.

The differing coloration of striker shroud itself suggestive of refinish of that unit with consequent mismatch of components. "Plumb" coloration on steel, typically characteristic of reblue of nickel steel alloy component; coloration morphing with age. Typically such FN Supreme action striker shrouds polished & left "in the white". Draw your own conclusions. I do like the 'apparent' "all steel" bottom metal consisting of trigger guard & hinged floorplate. Most of the Supreme type, bottom metal of alloy. A softer metal and more subject to ugly scratches incurred.

The chambering, yet another "ho hum". Not to be taken as a put down for the historic cartridge itself. Just nothing exotic there. The stock as noted with bit strange comment appended, perhaps related to butt stock right side aft. At top of comb, perhaps a wood defect, repair or...??? The seller with opportunity to clarify, and evidentially choosing not. Strange brevity considering the volume of hype! Buyer beware!

Without knowing the asking price, difficult to further assess. But the rifle 'to me', not particularly selling itself for perhaps more than $800 to $1K `maximum. Such eval disclaimer as 'exclusive of scope' whatever such might add.

If interested in postwar FN Mauser commercial action rifles, absolutely plenty abound. Those sold under the Model 640 Husqvarna designation yet often sleepers and excellent values though not in the latter Supreme FN series nor as often the subject to fancy customizations.

A concluding aside re "American gunmakers of prior note." Half plus century ago, without such as Internet Website products display, instant communications, etc; another world. Folks desiring custom guns, more comfortably sought/bought the works of established names. Typically never to visit their shops, the order & 'getting it right', mostly 'wing & prayer'. Known maker names of reliable quality & reflected reputation, important. Nowadays, the 'instant all' world, the luxury of viewing custom gun exemplars at Website ads with comprehensive quality product photos, etc. Also from order to 'in customer hands' often some weeks rather than better part of year. Moreover, nowadays, proliferation of brand names largely obviating "custom gunmakers". Don't like some component, range of aftermarket custom.

With few pronounced exceptions, the gunmaker names of old, faded away. Far more often amounting to only a "say who?" Including the rifle of context here. At the range, proclaiming such gunmaker name, the small smile & nod, reflecting polite disregard. The seventy plus crowd 'may recall' such names, but as vestiges of other eras. No favorable 'clicks' appended. The gun itself recommending or condemning itself in available advertising! There do remain some few meaningful historic names, often also associated with cartridges. English "Rigby" & American "Roy Weatherby"; plus other few prominent!

Good luck!

Hope this helps!
John

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by iskra

Without knowing the asking price, difficult to further assess. But the rifle 'to me', not particularly selling itself for perhaps more than $800 to $1K `maximum. Such eval disclaimer as 'exclusive of scope' whatever such might add.

Good luck!

Hope this helps!
John

Asking price is listed at $2950.

You point out perceived "inconsistencies" such as the shroud saying, as supplied, they were in the white. True, but irrelevant given it is a "custom'" build and obviously reblued. Your comment releveant only if the rifle were being offered as an original FN sporting rifle.

Value, to be determined by whomever purchases it. Around here, your estimation would be low by several hundered.

What I'm always surprised at is people shopping around for custom rifles built for someone else. At the asking price, you can have yourself a rifle built that actually fits you and with styling relevant to your tastes. Used custom rifles rarely fetch half of what they cost to have built. So, values are out there but you need to shop carefully and consider the components and build, not the story. None of what I say matters if the buyer simply wants a "period" rifle, especially one they consider desireable due to "historical" factors.

Last edited by z1r; 02/03/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is a 25 year old joke, from me listening to two gunsmiths who have since passed:

Nice 1903 Springfield. Take a $600 rifle, add $600 in gunsmithing, and voila, a $150 rifle.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 11 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.