Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Farming
If this is true it’s kinda funny, also very sad. I laughed at first, but then thought about all the pieces of sheet sitting around getting EBT cards “food stamps “ and sheeting out kids. Probably eating better than those who serve our country. The thought that those zzz holes are sitting around doing nothing while are soldiers are eating prison food isn’t right. Sad state of affairs.

Man, don't let these guys bullshit ya.'

An army lives on its stomach, and no army is better fed than the US Army.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Had KP once at Leonard Wood. Ate well that day ( at my own pace) and didn’t get harassed, so it was like a vacation. Had plenty of the breakfast, army, one each, and still try to make it for my kids sometimes, though they don’t see the attraction. Went hungry plenty of times in the field because my troops always ate first. At least they saved me some coffee most days.

Old70

O
OGB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by skeen
If this is true it’s kinda funny, also very sad. I laughed at first, but then thought about all the pieces of sheet sitting around getting EBT cards “food stamps “ and sheeting out kids. Probably eating better than those who serve our country. The thought that those zzz holes are sitting around doing nothing while are soldiers are eating prison food isn’t right. Sad state of affairs.

Define "better fed"
We definitely got the nutrition we needed but as for flavor, that's highly dependent on the DFAC in question. There is a reason many of us develop a life long need to excessively salt, pepper and hot sauce our food.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

In that case they should leave the for prison use off the box. Not right to use prison and military in the same sentence. smile

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Those hours on the concrete floor were hard on the old legs.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

O
OGB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Those hours on the concrete floor were hard on the old legs.

The scalding hot water wasn't fun either.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rem141r
i only did kp in basic a couple times. they never let us near the food. it was basically just washing dishes and pots. lots and lots of dishes and pots.

Yup. Did KP a couple times while at the recruit intake center at Ft. McClellan before getting sent to my BT company. The dishes, silverware and trays were done by civilian employees because they were operating commercial dishwashers. But all the pots and pans were washed by hand us lower than whale schitt privates that didn't even have a unit that we could say we were a part of yet.

Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by slumlord
Haha

Permanent Latrine Orderly

No Time For Sergeants quote. Well done.

One of my favorite old movies.

Originally Posted by USMC2602
Love to hear these stories. Never had KP, and was always amazed how much I enjoyed the occasional field mess hall food when we were deployed. Hell of a nice break from the CRats and then MRE’s.

And like OGB said, the mess hall breakfasts never left you hungry. You might schitt like a crippled coon later, but you weren’t hungry!

Mess hall breakfasts are THE schitt regardless of what branch you're in. Even the Air Farce or Denny's can't improve on them, and they were the only effective hangover cures I ever found. I learned how to make my own omelets at home from watching the cooks work their magic on the griddle.

The best mess hall I ever ate in outside of an Air Farce base was the one at Ft. Monroe, VA where TRADOC HQ was located at the time. Being the only mess hall on a post with an 800/200 officer/enlisted ratio, it had to meet the quality demands of all the generals assigned there. I don't ever recall having a bad or mediocre meal there.

Originally Posted by OGB
Remember seeing the big cardboard box the mess hall sliders came in. The side was labeled "grade D meat, for prison and military use only".
I do miss a mess hall breakfast, gives ya a nice, shinny pelt!

I'm pretty well convinced that the "steaks" we were served over in Korea on 'Surf & Turf" night were carved from a horse. They were meat, but very lean, tough and dry with an off, not-so-beefy taste to them. The lobster tails were okay, but I really didn't know much about seafood at the time, so they could have served me over-sized crawdad tails and I wouldn't have known the difference.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We had a cook who was a heavy duty alcoholic. Someone told him that you could filter gasoline through a loaf of bread and it would filter out the poisons so you could drink it. He was so far gone that he actually tried it with the expected results. He survived it, barely, but we didn't see him the rest of the cycle. Can you imagine what your guts would feel like after that? Death would be too kind.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
KP one time at Polk , BCT 1968. Typical potato peeling with a knife, and scrubbing griddles with scrubbies and vinegar. One thing sticks in my mind. Lunch was chinese pork over crisp noodles. The cook did a good job with it. The server dipped out of the top of the 10 gallon cookpot, so all everyone got was a soupy liquid with no meat in it. At the end of the meal, the pot was thrown out with about 20 lbs of cooked pork at the bottom. My first exposure to government waste.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
While in OCS at Ft Belvoir in 1968, I'd volunteer for KP and then do the pots and pans. The other candidates would be out in the mess hall getting harassed and trying to eat at attention and square meals, and I would be back in the kitchen not being harassed and eating all that I wanted from the serving pots and pans.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B3

A
Axl Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I had KP so may time I thought my branch insignia would be two mops crossed over a bucket.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by blairvt
I have to say my time in Iraq was the best I ever ate. It was all contracted out, but damn we ate good

We rarely ate hot meals. MREs for 8 months. Crapping a cinder block once each week.

I remember one hot meal that the USMC sprung for. I will say that one of the most memorable meals involved a cow we slaughtered wandering through our sector. Somehow our First Sgt had some lobster shipped to us and a few days later we feasted on surf and turf!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
In my company we had and excellent mess sgt. and cooks. Sgt. would trade around the post for good stuff and the cooks were good guys. They expected you to do your job and if you did they wouldn't mess with you. All KP's ate good. There were two KP's in the dining room,DRO's, one KP doing trays and silverware, two KP"s cleaning constantly on the kitchen. I always took the pots and pans as no one ever bothered me there. My favorite breakfast meal was the SOS. Loved that stuff. This all took place back in the early to mid 60's.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

I'm with you Skeen, in the army from '64 to '67, I ate better than I ever did at home. In the engineer units I was in the cooks worked their asses off and took pride in their work.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeL2
No KP, but still remember getting served green scrambled eggs out of a mermite can for a "hot" meal during training.

Them green scrambled eggs gave me the $hits so bad. I couldn't eat them unless I knew I was going to be close to a toilet all day.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Axl
I had KP so may time I thought my branch insignia would be two mops crossed over a bucket.

Helluva first post !

Only had it twice in basic at Jackson in 81
Pots and pans.
Second time I volunteered for it cause my buddy was scheduled to do it the day we graduated from basic.
He had family coming in for the ceremony, I didn't.

To this day my wife can not figure out why I like SOS as much as I do.

Best chow I ever had was at the Corpus Christie NAS when I was down there TDY for an airframe overhaul school.
Surf and turf the first night.
Sitting at the table and the chief cook came over and asked us dogfaces if we liked it and were any of us still hungry.
Told us the sailors were allowed to go back for seconds and we were too.
Damn near fell outa my chair getting back in line.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Had some great chow in the galleys at GTMO, prepped by TCNs that knew their way around a kitchen, and since I was the facilities engineer and did a lot of work for them, got taken care of on surf and turf day, or any other special meals. Cannot gripe about navy chow.

Old70

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Kitchen commandos.

"Death from within"

Actually what they gave us in our chow halls was good. So the above is a joke , but I always thought it was funny. I know a S/Sgt who was in charge of a galley crew that had a T-Shirt with a skull that had a gagging expression on it, with that line printed underneath.

It was great.

Last edited by szihn; 01/20/22.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by rem141r
i only did kp in basic a couple times. they never let us near the food. it was basically just washing dishes and pots. lots and lots of dishes and pots.

Same here. Fort Chaffee, Arkansas.

L.W.

Elvis Presley did Basic at Ft. Chaffee. I damnere got frostbite there in 1979, it was colder than Hillary Clinton's heart when we were there for an off-post exercise one winter. Not a real fun place to be.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
When I went to Pensacola to photo school, I got sent to the mess hall to fill in the time until my class formed up. It was supposed to be for only a week or two, ended up being a month or two.

We slept in a bunkroom in the same building, because we needed to be up at 0330 to get breakfast started. I don't think we had any days off all the time I was there.

All we temporary, cheap help did was fill the milk dispenser, make the coffee, swab the decks, operate the institutional toaster and scrub down the griddles after meals.

The MAA's would bring in the prisoners from the brig ahead of the regular meal schedule, get them fed and out of there before everyone else showed up. They weren't allowed to speak to or otherwise interact with anyone else.

There was a second class commissaryman who bunked in the bunkroom with us, his name was Yancey. I think maybe he was supposed to be petty-officer-in-charge. Scuttlebutt had it that he'd been a chief at one time, but got busted down to 2nd class. We each had two lockers for uniforms and personal belongings. One of Yancey's was usually about a third full of empty Smirnoff vodka bottles. I never saw anyone who had it as bad as he did. Every morning, before he got out of his rack, he'd reach over to his locker closer to the rack and pull out a fresh quart bottle of Smirnoff's. While still in the rack, propped up on one elbow, he'd chug half of that quart bottle, then he'd shake his head and swing around to put his feet on the floor. He'd then chug the second half and the empty would go in the locker where the empties went. He'd then reach in for another full one and, sitting on the edge of his rack, chug half of it before standing up. He'd work on the remainder of that bottle the rest of the morning, drinking from his coffee cup with just enough coffee to color the vodka. One morning, he wasn't there, he'd never come in the night before. Next time we saw him was a few days later in the brig line. He had a bare spot on the sleeve of his chambray dungaree shirt where his 2nd class crow had been. He'd been busted down to E-1. Amazing schitt for a young guy from rural Northern New York to see.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,599
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.