Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 42 of 45 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 45
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Additions, subtractions, alterations, interpretations, translations, corrections, and then more additions, subtractions, alterations, interpretations, translations, corrections, etc., for century after century.

God: “I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”

Bruce

GB1

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by DBT

My current understanding and resulting conclusion is that …no…it is not a metaphor and also conclude that it is yet to happen in this manner.

Also, I believe that the “kingdom” of God is that ….“where” …God reigns. In Heaven but also in the hearts of men. One aspect of this and it may prove to be a “dual” aspect, is that Jesus is already ruling on earth…. Both directly and through His Body.

But…. in an attempt to clarify…. I don’t see that the Second Coming and the Judgment has yet occurred.

Yet the very same descriptions promise that some of those present would live see the event. That it would happen within their generation. If the described event is to be taken literally, why not the given timeline?

Some of the Matthew 24 events he described clearly happened in 70 AD and it was that generation that indeed witnessed them. The issue I have is that there seems to be a “transition” in “time perspective” if you will …. Between Matthew 24:24 or so up to Matthew 24:30. I struggle with understanding how that all fits.

So, believe it or don’t, I am faced with quite a few mysteries and unsatisfactory answers. But, I go back to that quote attributed to Martin Luther….

“The difficult parts of Scripture are the peripheral issues, while the primary parts are crystal clear.”

Just some elements is not enough. The event as described clearly did not happen. All the tribes on Earth did not see the event. Jesus did not return in power and glory to judge all mankind.....these are the most crucial details

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

My current understanding and resulting conclusion is that …no…it is not a metaphor and also conclude that it is yet to happen in this manner.

Also, I believe that the “kingdom” of God is that ….“where” …God reigns. In Heaven but also in the hearts of men. One aspect of this and it may prove to be a “dual” aspect, is that Jesus is already ruling on earth…. Both directly and through His Body.

But…. in an attempt to clarify…. I don’t see that the Second Coming and the Judgment has yet occurred.

Yet the very same descriptions promise that some of those present would live see the event. That it would happen within their generation. If the described event is to be taken literally, why not the given timeline?

Some of the Matthew 24 events he described clearly happened in 70 AD and it was that generation that indeed witnessed them. The issue I have is that there seems to be a “transition” in “time perspective” if you will …. Between Matthew 24:24 or so up to Matthew 24:30. I struggle with understanding how that all fits.

So, believe it or don’t, I am faced with quite a few mysteries and unsatisfactory answers. But, I go back to that quote attributed to Martin Luther….

“The difficult parts of Scripture are the peripheral issues, while the primary parts are crystal clear.”

Just some elements is not enough. The event as described clearly did not happen. All the tribes on Earth did not see the event. Jesus did not return in power and glory to judge all mankind.....these are the most crucial details

That's just a crystal clear, primary part that failed to be true, I would've thought.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Then there is the problem of understanding. Jesus spoke in parables for a number of reasons, one was to conceal a meaning to some and reveal a meaning to others.

That is what is portrayed of him.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I consider the reality and the historicity…the humanity…of those who wrote the original Christian documents, those who were eyewitnesses and closest to Jesus. Wavering and impulsive and cowardly Peter who followed, then unfollowed, then followed again after the resurrection, even preaching in the streets of Jerusalem. Can one imagine their own brother convincing them that he was the son of God…? James was convinced of that, and that itself is convincing. Paul was a persecutor of Christians and a Jewish wreckin’ machine of their faith, but he became a follower of Jesus himself. And John saw inhumanity and cruelty over his long life that is unimaginable to many of us, but was still convinced that God is love.

Different people who wrote separate and independent accounts of what they saw and experienced. They weren’t writing the Bible, they were simply documenting the events that were happening in each of their lives.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
?? Has anyone in this discussion besides me changed how they think about this subject?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A long time ago, one iron blade was used to sharpen another blade until both of em’ became more effective tools. I get a lot outta these discussions, especially from those whose opinions and beliefs are different than mine.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sort of like, I've read that a football coach said, he learned more from being with losing programs, than winning teams.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sort of like, I've read that a football coach said, he learned more from being with losing programs, than winning teams.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Don't want to read endless pages, does anyone have the Cliff Notes on this discussion? Where are we?

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antlers
I consider the reality and the historicity…the humanity…of those who wrote the original Christian documents, those who were eyewitnesses and closest to Jesus. Wavering and impulsive and cowardly Peter who followed, then unfollowed, then followed again after the resurrection, even preaching in the streets of Jerusalem. Can one imagine their own brother convincing them that he was the son of God…? James was convinced of that, and that itself is convincing. Paul was a persecutor of Christians and a Jewish wreckin’ machine of their faith, but he became a follower of Jesus himself. And John saw inhumanity and cruelty over his long life that is unimaginable to many of us, but was still convinced that God is love.

Different people who wrote separate and independent accounts of what they saw and experienced. They weren’t writing the Bible, they were simply documenting the events that were happening in each of their lives.

What do you mean by "original" Christian Documents?
The 4 canonical gospels are all amanous. We don't know who wrote them, and have no good reason to believe they were written by eye witnesses.
The earliest canonical books in the NT were written by Paul, who again, was not any eye witness.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Perhaps we should take this on in small bites.

Jesus prophesied in Matthew 24:2 ….referring to the temple....

“Do you see all these things? He asked. ‘Truly I tell you, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.”

So, to start with, did this in fact happen and did in fact that “generation” see it come to pass?

A simple yes or no on your part will be sufficient.

Note: I have a full schedule today and may not be back till late this evening or even tomorrow. If you respond, I will answer but it will not be right away.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Note: I have a full schedule today and may not be back till late this evening or even tomorrow. If you respond, I will answer but it will not be right away.

TF,
Have a safe day keeping your community healthy. The conversation will keep until tonight.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So many posts, so many nuts..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My perspective is that the core faith of Christianity can stand on its own two nail-scarred and resurrected feet. If we lost the Old Testament or it had so many holes poked in it that nobody could take it seriously anymore — that does nothing to diminish Jesus. At all.

The fact that He predicted the destruction of the Jewish Temple, and it happened exactly as He predicted, is pretty remarkable. And then there’s the prediction of the resurrection, and then there’s the eyewitness accounts of it, and then there’s the incomprehensible and explosive growth of the early core faith of Christianity. And even the agnostic/atheist scholar Bart Ehrman admits that…minus the fact of an explosive growth early in the life of the core Christian faith…there’s no way to get the 3.5 million followers of Jesus that there were by the fourth century. Somethin’ about their message was alluring and attractive, and convincing.

Dawkins and Ehrman and Harris can dance around that all they want to because the historicity and reality of the core faith of Christianity is uncomfortable for them. There clearly was something way outside of the norm happening here. The core faith of being a Jesus follower doesn’t hang by a thread like the parting and crossing of the Red Sea or the six-day creation of the universe. If it’s scientifically impossible for Noah to have accomplished what he did with the ark, or for Jonah to have spent three days and nights in the belly of a great fish, that does nothing…zero…to diminish the core faith of Christianity. It’s founded on something much larger and more important than all of that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Don't want to read endless pages, does anyone have the Cliff Notes on this discussion? Where are we?

It hasn't changed. Like a soap opera, you can miss a month and pick right back up where you left off.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't want to read endless pages, does anyone have the Cliff Notes on this discussion?
A. God exists.
B. The original New Testament documents are reliable accounts of what actually happened.
C. Jesus rose from the dead.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antlers
Don't want to read endless pages, does anyone have the Cliff Notes on this discussion?
A. God exists.
B. The original New Testament documents are reliable accounts of what actually happened.
C. Jesus rose from the dead.

All of these claims remain unsupported by any good evidence.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by bcp
Additions, subtractions, alterations, interpretations, translations, corrections, and then more additions, subtractions, alterations, interpretations, translations, corrections, etc., for century after century.

God: “I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”

Bruce

X2
👍👍👍

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Right where we started

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 42 of 45 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 45

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

398 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,901 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.