24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Talked to Fith Ops at SHOT and realized some old school technology might be usefull. We have lost hanging meat a few times to bears... especially an old sow training her cubs over the last five years.

A trip wire around our second meat pole might be a good test of a noisemaker. No illusions of it actually scaring the bear for long, just to let us know when it happens next time.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Our across-the-river camp neighbors have had to rig pots and pans on a wire the last few years. I bet a 209 primer would get you right out of bed though!

They shot 3 last year off the meat pole.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This one has all sorts of options... even flares...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My neighbor has a 'set gun' alarm for his garbage cans. It's a shotgun shell with the shot/wad/powder emptied out...so just the primer.
Works great!
Only had his wife accidentally set it off once...

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 907brass
My neighbor has a 'set gun' alarm for his garbage cans. It's a shotgun shell with the shot/wad/powder emptied out...so just the primer.
Works great!

Maybe he should place a hardcast slug on top of that.

"When guns are outlawed,only the outlaws will have guns".
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
One night in the tent with a moose hunting client from North Carolina. 2am he calmly says, “hey guys, guys, guys wake up”. He’s groggily answered, “what Jay, it’s 2 in the morning?”. His reply comes, “guys there’s coons in the ice chest, I’ve heard it 100 times camping at the lake in NC, there’s coons in the ice chest”. He’s told to go back to sleep, “ we don’t have coons up here”. And everyone rolls over, for about 13 seconds until it registers with all of us simultaneously that it ain’t coons we need to be worried about!

Never got to see the offender thankfully but there was some cussing and flashlight and rifle searching whilst wearing nothing but long handles and boots. 😁

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by remingtonman
Works great!

Shot 2 1/4 OUNCE slug at the range on Monday... 1,100 fps is claimed. Thinking metalurgy would be moot!

wink

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Standard 2 3/4" shell.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Ouch

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Standard 2 3/4" shell.

That's impressive.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by remingtonman
Works great!

I think thats called murder

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Pfff. Manslaughter maybe.

I am not a lawyer, and did not stay at a holiday inn last night, but my lawyer has advised me to not give legal advice. The above is not legal advice.

Last edited by cwh2; 01/21/22.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL. Well I suppose neither of us are. I'd think intent is the answer. Could go either way.

I'd sure hate to see my wife hurt. But others, well thats another story :o)

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Works great!

Not to get off topic here, but did your old man ever get up to the Richardson south of Fairbanks for the short range weapons moose hunt? I ended up taking a younger cow the other day on my tag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Works great!

Not to get off topic here, but did your old man ever get up to the Richardson south of Fairbanks for the short range weapons moose hunt? I ended up taking a younger cow the other day on my tag.

He has not. At least not yet. He ended up traveling down south pretty much all of October and November. December was family still stuff, and I hope to all goodness he's making a plan for the next month. Really hard to get him to make a plan.
Congrats on your cow! Muzzleloader our archery?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

https://fithops.com/ Modify one of those to fire off a flash bag for extra affect!

We need something for the pesky marten. This aught to wake up the whole neighborhood! I'm sure the hunting pards would shoot it after the first false alarm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393002811819?hash=item5b80cb01ab:g:~kUAAOSwuihfo2pk

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Works great!

He has not. At least not yet. He ended up traveling down south pretty much all of October and November. December was family still stuff, and I hope to all goodness he's making a plan for the next month. Really hard to get him to make a plan.
Congrats on your cow! Muzzleloader our archery?

Bow.

PM me if you'd like. There are only a few public spots in that hunt area and I can point you towards where I had been hunting. There are a fair amount of tracks there but I really didn't see too many moose.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.