Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shootem
It’s a very bad design and worse customer dis-service. I had CS straight out lie about product complaints i.e. there were none. And that was the BEST response. He was all about being right and me being wrong. I remember distinctly him saying, to paraphrase, “the rifle ejects the case from the action, that is all that can be guaranteed. We can’t be responsible for problems caused by every combination of scopes and mounts”. I was using medium Leupold mounts and a 1” tube Leupold scope. My 85m failed to properly eject every time. No problem repeating. The case mouth was hitting the tube not the turret or cap, then falling back into the action.

It’s easy to understand. The extractor pulls the case head rearward by the rim. As the case mouth clears the chamber the case head is pushed against the 6 o’clock ejector. The case mouth then rises until stopped by the scope tube and can rise no further. But since the case is still moving rearward against the ejector with nowhere for the case mouth to go, the case rim is pushed from under the extractor and flops onto either the next round or the follower. I watched this happen time and time again and repeated the process to CS with no success.

Take a good look at that extractor placement. It bears a strong resemblance to the position of 1894 Winchesters. The Winchester is designed to eject the case straight up and does that well. So can the 85M though unintentionally. Sure, there are ways for a handy man to respring or redesign the extractor but you’re still dealing with a faulty design. Every time a reworked extractor manages to hold the rim, it almost didn’t. What if you were dealing with something that wants to bite, claw or hook you? It’d be a bad time to have an empty case blocking the ejection port. And there is absolutely no excuse for Beretta to disavow responsibility. TMSAISTI.

Good post buddy. The funny thing is they will also tell you to run the bolt with more authority. Really pull back on it hard and quick. A good rifle will feed, eject and control the cartridge no matter how fast or slow you run the bolt. Tikka's and pre 64 model 70's are both great examples of this function..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ran it fast&hard, slow&soft. With my rifle it didn’t matter. Now REALLY hard pulling on the bolt would rattle the case up and down and side to side and it would sometimes fall off the rifle. But not because of engineering. Blind squirrel / acorn deal.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by DLSguide
Most 3 lug bolt guns have some ejection issues because of the location of the ejector and extractor between lugs. Empties go up more hitting the scope caps , rather than out. You usually can't use low rings or target caps.

Really? I have owned a dozen or more Browning A/X bolt rifles and every one ejected perfectly...Its not the 3 lug bolt its the location of the ejector @6 o'clock thats a poor design......Hb

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
They should bring back the 75.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I only own one Sako 85. it's a 260. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I haven't had any problems with it what so ever. Then again it is a short action. My long actions 270, and 30-06 are Tikka T3x Lite's. They shoot every bit as good as the Sako 85. Imo, you get the most bang for your buck with the Tikka.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I imagine Sako selling Tikka’s 3-4:1 to 85’s has to be wake up call. It isn’t because we are all about “budget” rifles.

I would gladly pay more for the finer points of the 85 when they re-design the ejector.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Ha! I bet Sako sells 10:1 Tikka T3x rifles over Sako 85's....Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's no place to move the ejector to unless they split a lug. That'd be fine. It need to be directly across from the extractor. A grooved lug doesn't hurt in a Mauser.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/21/22.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sorry, I did not know that Browning even had 3 lug guns. Sounds like Browning has better engineers. I do know Sako and Cooper had troubles with ejection in 3 lug guns.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

72 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 15 invisible), 1,044 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,485
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.