Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Looking for books to help me improve my traditional archery skills. I shoot split finger, instinctive, dont gap shoot, etc. Any good reads out there? I was thinking about picking up Asbell "Instinctive Shooting" but was hoping for some good testimonials before dropping $65 on a used copy.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Shoot me a pm, I think I’ve got that one I’ll send you for free…

But I think you’d be better off watching YouTube videos from Tom Clumm or The Push folks

Last edited by Biathlonman; 01/20/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shooting the Stickbow by Anthony Camera.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks! I used to watch some Youtube videos by Jeff Kavanaugh (sp?). He is a Canadian farmer/guide who is a master with Trad gear, moving targets, etc. great teacher as well. His stuff helped me out a bunch when I first started, but hadn't found anything after that. I'll check out your suggestions.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by centershot

I've heard of that one before but no further insight. Is it primarily gear set-up or more shooting technique/practice regiment? I think I have the gear part good for now.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shooting the Stickbow is a good book to have on hand....what really helped me to the next level was attending a class put on by Rod Jenkins some years back, I have been shooting traditional archery a long time and I learned a lot from that class and really helped me to shoot better and more consistently

Last edited by 257 roberts; 01/20/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Asbell"s book may help You out . I read it when I was starting out and it helped . Something about thinking like the arrow was a telephone pole I was trying to plant or something. I became really good for a short time and then got busy with work for a few years and lost it. I am trying to get back into it. I did a lot of 3D back then . I think that helped out too. there were some good guys back then that helped me out. That was 20 years ago though.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I got the first Asbell book at Cloverdale from Fred in '88.
It was OK.
Didnt get the 2nd one.
Gave my copy to a newb at work a couple yrs back.

Think YT would be better for a newb.
Stuff from

Blackmon, Welch, The Push, Iron Mind

Last edited by hookeye; 01/20/22.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nothing beats actually dropping the string.
A lot.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Witchery. Of Archery. Keep an open mind it was written I think about 150 years ago. It's more of an exercise of practice.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
books:
Shooting the Stickbow.

Free vids"
"The Wedge" series on youtube. ( Archery form)
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjhb3TbQb5MHLJTbzjtvPUtjY8sRubNPI

Anything by: Jimmy Blackmon
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LceBNHj1FDM

Also, vabowdog. (Dewayne Martin), Arnie Moe (a great teacher), The Push series and others.

There are so many outstanding free trad archery vids out there. Just do a little looking. Use a light draw bow ( 30-35#) to reinforce your technique with lot of repetition.

All the above these helped me a great deal.

Stickbow Leatherwall II. (trad archery)

Tony Camera ( author of Shooting the Stickbow) is a regular poster there, goes by "Viper.". Search his posts by his handle name. You will learn a lot.

Good luck.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks all, YouTube’d out for the night but have much more to watch when stuck on the road traveling for work. Ordered a clicker tonight, used one before but not correctly I just learned. Looking forward to some focused bare bail practice.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm researching traditional gear and its overwhelming. Think I've setteled on recurve with removeable limbs. Any suggestions? No Chinese

All American

All the time
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TomM1
Originally Posted by centershot

I've heard of that one before but no further insight. Is it primarily gear set-up or more shooting technique/practice regiment? I think I have the gear part good for now.

All of the above. That book covers it all and promotes classic form. Some of the others like Asbells and TJ Conrad are more of the hump over, grip and rip it style. That works for some, but being how form is everything in Trad archery, the classic stand up straight, pull it all the way back, anchor, aim and release is much easier to repeat and have consistent accuracy with. Learn to shoot properly with a light bow then work your way up in weight gradually. It's way too much fun to shoot a heavy bow only a few times and be tuckered out.

Last edited by centershot; 01/21/22.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stan V
I'm researching traditional gear and its overwhelming. Think I've setteled on recurve with removeable limbs. Any suggestions? No Chinese

Don't go crazy on your first bow. You don't want to spend $500-$800 on a bow then not like Trad or decide you would like a different weight, etc. There are some decent ones in the $100-$150 range (Samick Sage, etc) at Sportsman's or Cabelas that will work fine to get started with. You will likely go through several before you find what you like (if ever). Find one that is in the 28-30# range, longer the better (62"+). Get yourself 1/2 dz 700 spine carbon arrows w/ 125gr tips and 3) 3" feathers and a 3 under tab. Shoot off the shelf if that's what you like or stick a flipper type rest on it and your ready to start. This is not going to be your hunting bow, just the one to learn with. You will outgrow it, but it just does not work to skip steps. Good luck, take your time and enjoy the journey.

I have a Samick Discovery riser w/ 3 sets of limbs, arrows, tab, backpack to put it all in, stringer, etc that I would sell if you are interested. It's not a cheap setup by any means but one that you can grow with and add any weight ILF limbs that you want to when you progress into them. PM me if it sounds like something you might be interested in and I'll get you some pics and a price.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
southwestarchery.com or Twigg Archery.

Spyder XL. $150. Take down recurve, AMO 64" ( very smooth shooter). 30-35# limbs to start. Limbs are about $77/set. GREAT shooting bow. Used to be called the Samick Journey, but now it is more refined. Easy decision. Get one, and don't look back. You do not have to apologize to anyone if you get one. Truly an outstanding bow, especially for the price.

I have one ( actually Samick Journey and Spyder XL), and it/ they shoot as well -or better than $600+++ bows. I have done well with it, and high!y recommend it.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
BTW.......UPS left a sticker on door
Will hang around tomorrow for 2nd delivery attempt.
Finally getting my new Blackwidow limbs 😎

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Samick used to be Korean. Heard some production went to China.

Would not get a laminated riser from Samick. Have seen a few delam. One even a Tradtech ( proly why tradtech dropped em ).

If going Samick Id get the metal ILF Discovery riser, if its still made in Korea.

I may yet get one, but looking at Uuhka limbs. So not cheap, and only for 3D. Proly 40 to 42 #.

Honestly, running heavy glass fish arrows....i dont like a recurve under 45# for bowfishing.
A 50# Bear A mag would be Ok 😉

Yeeesh, 4 recurves. Trip and fire hazards LOL

Last edited by hookeye; 01/21/22.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Joel Turner. Shot IQ.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
wentzaal brothers

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 7887mm08, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 720 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.