Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I have a 1948 EG in fine shape In 250-3000 cal. I'm thinking of letting it go to fund something else I can't live without. Numbers match everywhere but the forearm. There is a 258 count difference. Wood matches very nice. Would that be a deal breaker for most here? What in your humble opinion, what would one expect to be the decrease in price at a gun show. If anybody can give me good advice, It will be here.
Thanks

Last edited by oldotter; 01/20/22.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The mismatach almost surely happened in the factory. I've seen a few in my day. I wouldn't consider it a big issue personally. A gun with condition speaks for itself.

Not sure I understand the question on gun show price? If it has to do with the stock # difference I'd say nothing.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I bought a 1919 250-3000 from Randy a few years ago. I think it's the butt stock that's off a couple hundred or so. He lettered both numbers. The action number came back with all the usual info. The butt stock number came back stating no rifle with that serial number ever left the factory. The consensus back then was that the butt stock was original to the rifle,seeing no rifle with the butt number ever left. I have both letters in my safe. Maybe Randy remembers the details a little better.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
The mismatach almost surely happened in the factory. I've seen a few in my day. I wouldn't consider it a big issue personally. A gun with condition speaks for itself.

Not sure I understand the question on gun show price? If it has to do with the stock # difference I'd say nothing.

There's a good chance it will be sitting on a table this weekend. Wanted a little knowledge from the fire before I wiggle too much on price. The way the wood matches so well, I be inclined to think Fred left his glasses at home that day and thats how it left the feactory

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
You have a private message.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by oldotter

There's a good chance it will be sitting on a table this weekend. Wanted a little knowledge from the fire before I wiggle too much on price. The way the wood matches so well, I be inclined to think Fred left his glasses at home that day and thats how it left the feactory

Look at the wood on Randy's rifle. You couldn't get a better match. I've seen matching number wood that didn't match.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

Sounds like it's gonna be 'off the table'... grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JoeMartin

Nice clean rifle.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep… Seen a number of these rifles with one stock part off by just a little bit. I think I have 2, one being a very low 10.xxx rifle. If the wood color matches, I wouldn’t lower the price. Happened at the factory, almost certainly.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Or it coulda happened at Noxen when we were a bit schnozzled and started playing mix-and-match with everybody's gun stocks. grin

Kidding, of course. But see what all y'all are missing out on by not coming to Noxen? If for no other reason you could be the voice of reason!

(Seriously, the gun room gets locked up well before anybody's inebriated. We aren't complete idiots!)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
I bought a 1919 250-3000 from Randy a few years ago. I think it's the butt stock that's off a couple hundred or so. He lettered both numbers. The action number came back with all the usual info. The butt stock number came back stating no rifle with that serial number ever left the factory. The consensus back then was that the butt stock was original to the rifle,seeing no rifle with the butt number ever left. I have both letters in my safe. Maybe Randy remembers the details a little better.

Letter stated no rifle with those butt stock serial numbers appeared in the ledger. So that rifle almost certainly left the factory with that butt stock on it. The letter doesn't prove that, but it sure does make a really strong case for it. What it does prove is that nobody cannibalized the stock off another gun.

The 48 EG is most likely right, especially if the fit and finish look right. It would not be a deal breaker for me if it looked right to me. In my opinion it doesn't diminish the value of the gun, especially if it has condition.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Nope. PM just wanted to tell me late happy new year. wink

Last edited by oldotter; 01/21/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

Sounds like it's gonna be 'off the table'... grin

Nope, Jerry is an old friend. We hadn't talked in awhile. He is one of the good ones!

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Rembered that time Jerry and myself, were at a gun show, and I called you? Let Jerry talk at to you! God that was many moons ago. I'd say something happened. To that forarm, at the factory, and they just grabbed up another one!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlering
Rembered that time Jerry and myself, were at a gun show, and I called you? Let Jerry talk at to you! God that was many moons ago. I'd say something happened. To that forarm, at the factory, and they just grabbed up another one!

I remember that call well. Back in the good days.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by saddlering

I just sold a T, forarm & rec. matched, butt stock & butt plate matched, wood was a perfect match. maybe the new owner will post pics

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,104
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.