Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
163dm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Not mine, and not associated with the seller....but seems like a fair price.

Levergun forum - Browning 71 348AI

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the .348 Ackley Improved is about as good as it gets for and old school lever gun. A good 250 grain bonded bullet at around 2,500 fps mv will work on any North American critter under about any circumstances out to 300 yards or more if one can get accurate hits with iron sights.

I plan on using mine here in Alaska next fall on my moose hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AK,, have you got'en your 71 to this point,,inquiring minds want to know. MY standard 348 is @ 2175 fps w/250's now,,,do I need to AI it? Jim

Last edited by waterrat; 01/17/22.

I tend to use more than enough gun
163dm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
AK, or anyone else with and AI do you feel there is any difference in feeding, smoothness, with the less tapered case?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It looks like it’s a Winchester manufacture date 1947.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Is there a reason you are calling it a "browning 71". In the listing, he says Winchester model 71. "1947 MFR". Browning didn't make a '71 in 1947. It also doesn't say if it's a standard or deluxe model. Unless "ackley improved standard" is meaning it's a standard model? Cool gun, but it's a standard model that has been modified. Hence taking away any collector value. I ran across a damn nice long tang, early serial # model 71 deluxe a week ago, in a little honey hole. Rifle was beautiful and all original. Had the original bolt peep on it too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
163dm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
My BAD. It is a Winchester Model 71. Ive been looking at too many ads and got them mixed up. Was reading several articles on browning 71's being converted to 348ai.

BSA,
If someone was looking for a collector this is definitely Not it.
Rather, it is a "working rifle" in an original winchester. I would assume it is a standard model. For a standard it still seems like a fair price, based on the prices I've seen. Someone already paid the gunsmith to do the work of converting to an AI ...if you want that extra punch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would buy it, but I would have to change my screen name. Plus, I rarely shoot the 3 in the safe. lol

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 163dm
My BAD. It is a Winchester Model 71. Ive been looking at too many ads and got them mixed up. Was reading several articles on browning 71's being converted to 348ai.

BSA,
If someone was looking for a collector this is definitely Not it.
Rather, it is a "working rifle" in an original winchester. I would assume it is a standard model. For a standard it still seems like a fair price, based on the prices I've seen. Someone already paid the gunsmith to do the work of converting to an AI ...if you want that extra punch.

Fair to you maybe. I buy them when they are priced way lower. The last standard my buddy bought, he paid $500 for it. The last deluxe model I paid $900 for it and it was a long tang.. The one I saw recently was more than $2,000.00, but it was a beautiful deluxe in damn good original condition. I almost bought that, as it was a "fair" price for what it is. Fair is such a subjective phrase..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Win. Mod. 71 is a Deluxe version made by Miroku that I bought from a friend. It is the fanciest rifle I own, beautiful wood, and checkering and a beautiful dark blue finish on the metal is very nice looking. I had some work done to it and I am developing loads now.

My plan is to use H4350, Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primers and Starline brass. I had some Whidden dies made up. I laid in a life time supply of the excellent Kodiak Custom bonded 250 grain heavy jacketed bullets. It has a trigger job, got rid of the rebounding hammer, barrel is now 22 inches and a full length magazine tube. Two holes were drilled and tapped on the top rear of the action for the XS rear peep sight and the XS flat post with white center line on the front.

Finished it off with a five round butt stock cartridge holder from Levergun Leatherworks that also has a grizzly bear on it. It is a beautiful cartridge holder and with the full length magazine tube I have quick access to 12 rounds. So I can grab the gun and go. The sling is a black 1 1/4 inch leather version from Montana Rifle Slings.

The rifle feeds just fine with the improved case. I am basing my estimated velocity off of articles I have read and a couple of You Tube videos. But, I plan on going to the range and checking the load over my chronograph after I fireform a bunch of brass.

I am not a safe queen or collector gun guy. I like shooting my guns and our long Alaskan winters leave lots of time for loading ammo. I have a Marlin 45-70 like about every other friend does, a Mod. 94 Big Bore .356 Win. and a Mod. 94 in .44 mag. But long yearned for a old school .35 caliber lever gun giving near .35 Whelen ballistics. I now have one and I know my two manly grandsons will think of me long after I am gone when they pack my rifles on their Alaskan adventures.

IC B3

163dm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
1AKshooter,
Congrats, that sounds like an awesome setup.
1. How do you like the xs sight?
2. Does the sight mount at the rear or front of the receiver?

Does it still feel balanced with a full length mag?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The last deluxe model I paid $900 for it and it was a long tang.. ..

Is that the rifle you sold to gunner500? He sure turned it into a beauty! https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16217971/2

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

163dm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I don't know where you guys are finding good condition standard models for $500 and deluxe models for $900 but feel free to clue us in. If they have come across the Fire classifieds in the last 3yrs I sure have missed it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey 163dm,

I like the XS on the Winchester guns and have the same set up on my Model 94's, a Big Bore .356 Win and a Model 94 in .44 mag. On my custom Marlin 1895 in 45-70 I like the looks of the Skinner Alaskan receiver sight Andy of Skinner Sights made up for me years ago.

All of these lever guns including my three bolt guns that have iron sights have the XS front sight, it has a flat top and a white stripe in the center. This set up provides a good easy to find sight with a precise aiming point.

We mainly hunt with scoped bolt action magazine fed rifles, a 30-06 and a .338 Winny. But, the lever guns are our favorites for camp guns, truck guns, ATV riding, fishing, hiking, etc. They are easy to carry and all of them pack a big enough punch for about any circumstance Alaska's game has to offer.

Long live the great Winchester and Marlin lever guns!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been away from the Fire for awhile. That Model 71 in 348 Ackley is now in Wisconsin. It was indeed a Winchester M 71, with a rare Lyman 48
flat receiver sight. It has also killed one large moose with a 270 gr Hawk bullet. You guessed it. A tough rifle. Fuller

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
485 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 42 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.