Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
That saying came to me while lying here thinking about my uncle .
Took a dinner plate over to him and my aunt yesterday evening and he was all excited to tell me of his adventure of the day .
At first I told him I couldn’t stay cause I was without a shirt .
This didn’t seem to matter , he had some excitement he wanted to share . So I had a set and listened to his story .
He has a cow he has made a pet if out of the bunch and takes an apple or HoHo cake 😀
He was opening the gate to a fresh feed lot when his gal , the cow , came up and gave him a friendly bump .
The ground has a couple inches of slush from melting snow so it was enough bump to cause him to lose footing and fall into a mud puddle in a ditch about a foot deep .
He said the shock of the cold water and mud that seeped into every opening of his clothes had him scrambling to get up .
But he kept slipping back into the ditch .
Almost gave out with stress and physical drain he came to his senses and realized the barn corner was right behind him and turned and pulled himself up . Soaked and a cold front blowing in had him hustling to get the gate secured open and then he was worried about the vehicle seat and thought about the blankets he had in the barn for new borns . Finally got in the vehicle and made it home and was worried about his new coat being soiled .
Now this may seem like another day on the farm to most , but the fact that he just turned 98 is certainly worthy of the title , “tough as a pine knot”
WWII veteran of Japan too , has some interesting stories about life .
Glad I slowed down and gave him an ear , was lying here this morning thinking about him .
Kenneth

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The greatest generation. Unarguably.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
We’ve got a veteran from WWII over here that a buddies uncle. Tommy fought in the South Pacific as your uncle did and just finally sold off his cows a couple of years ago. He is still haying the place to sell. They are definitely the greatest Generation.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Great story

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Treasure these men while you can.

I have to ask though, why weren't you wearing a shirt? lol

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Great story and glad you took time to hear it, as it was important to him to tell it.
Please tell him Thank you for your service for me. I have hard enough time with English, don't think I could ever learn to speak German or Jap.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
He truly is. Good of you to listen. There are still a few tough guys out there. I know one. He is a man bun liberal, but the guy is truly as tough as nails. He will grow up to be a good man - he's 24.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Straight up bad ass. We need a million more like him.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Great story and most definitely “Tough as a pine knot.” Good for you for taking the time out of a busy day to listen. 98, jeeeebuz. That’s old time grit! We could use more like it.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My Uncle just passed away at the age of 98 in December. He was clear headed up until the day the Lord called him home. He was also a WWII vet in Okinawa, Saipan, and the Philippines. I wish I had taken more time to go visit and listen to his stories. I'm glad you decided to stay.

http://www.andersonmattson.com/obituary/owen-braseth

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had breakfast this morning with a gentleman age 88 who was the Commanding General of the 101st Airborne Division. So you can imagine the war stories he has to tell, this morning's was about being shot down in a helicopter over Viet Nam and living to tell about it. His travels in the military and in civilian life after his military career have taken him all over the world. He is a very interesting gentleman to talk to.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
LIKE !!!!

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Going to services this morning for another tough, old WWII vet.
GM "Dogie" Jones died at 95. Enlisted in the Navy in 1943, after his mother agreed, at age 16.
Telephone lineman for a bit, then joined the NM Sanitary Board as an inspector, eventually rising to become director of the (now) New Mexico Livestock Board.
Ranched, farmed, and produced high quality Quarter Horses for decades. Active on the ranch until less than a year ago.
A good man, and a friend.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The greatest generation....agreed.
I/we have lost all of our close family who were of this generation, my mentor's, all of my uncles were WW2 veterans, one of them was a pow in Hong kong, so grateful to them all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not only am I thankful for men like this, I'm thankful to have been raised in a time that taught me the value of men like this.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Great story!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Not only am I thankful for men like this, I'm thankful to have been raised in a time that taught me the value of men like this.

Here. Here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jackmountain
The greatest generation. Unarguably.

Spot on. I miss many that I knew.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by Rooster7

Here. Here.

Yes Sir !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (14idaho, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 25 invisible), 1,737 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,207
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.