Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Springfield TRP. I don't know what could be improved upon on that Pistol,

No idea about Cali though.

What determines legality in Cali regarding 1911's?

BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thought long and hard about this thread all week, absolute favorite has to be the Baer Custom Carry i bought off Rockchucker here at the 'fire, that pistol is beyond anything i'm able to imagine for a clean, well built, accurate, vault tight, always ready, reliable 1911, did have my 'Smith remove the ambi safety for a single, noticed a couple times i had brushed it off safe while carrying, 'Smith fixed that minor annoyance.

Trump Won!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Brother Bobby has had put good guns in several hands. The Mountain Gun he sold he sold me remains one of the first out of the safe for me.

George

Last edited by NH K9; 01/15/22.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by NH K9
Brother Bobby has had put good guns in several hands. The Mountain Gun he sold he sold me remains one of the first out of the safe for me.

George

You bet buddy George, hope we get to share a hunting camp again someday. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick, I haven't read all; four pages of this thread, but take it from a guy who poured that same kind of money into "fixing" a Para Ordnance P-12 and I sure wish that I would have bought a high end model to start with. I do like that Colt moniker on the side of a 1911 and have only shot a Wilson, but reading here it looks like the Les Baer might be the pick of the litter.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

M
MMM Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Colt Gunsite 1911. It has never failed me. I have never felt like I was missing anything or needed something else.

I have had the opportunity to shoot many of the ones already mentioned.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Waders
I have a friend who (1) is legally blind, and (2) likes high-end 1911's. He likes to shoot but can't see well enough to zero them or determine their accuracy. I "help" him by shooting his guns for him--I'm just a good guy who's willing to help a buddy! smile Hence, I have shot quite a few Nighthawks, Ed Brown's, and Wilson Combat's . I also used to shoot bowling pins with a bunch of guys who own a wide variety of 1911's. Naturally we shoot each other's guns to see what we like.

Anyhoo...compared to production guns (Colts, Kimbers, Springfields, Rugers, etc.) there just isn't any difference in performance. Making a functional 1911 isn't exactly a secret or even difficult. The custom shops make beautiful guns for sure, but they don't outperform production guns in either accuracy or reliability.

My two cents (and I'm sure I'll get change back) is this: handle them and buy the one that resonates with you, the one that makes you smile. Get the one you love looking at, that fits your hand, and makes you feel incomplete when you put it down. That's what you're paying for--not an advantage in accuracy or functionality.

Good luck! Be sure to post pics!

Good points Wade. Rick posted some damn nice pistols. I'd probably pick the Les Baer myself, but I have buddies that have the Ruger 1911's and they are damn good for the money. They shoot exceptionally well and always go bang. Have very nice triggers and feel good in the hand. If I were just looking for a really good 1911, that is probably what I'd buy. If I wanted to impress my friends, I'd buy the Les Baer. However, how much better would the Les do vs a Ruger in say a bowling pin shoot? Probably not enough difference to impress anyone.. For the money, the Ruger would be the better pistol IMHO..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
While I really enjoy shooting my Baer, this old Colt lightweight Commander is a great one for carrying:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And here I though I was the only one that liked S&W sights on a 1911...................

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Waders
I have a friend who (1) is legally blind, and (2) likes high-end 1911's. He likes to shoot but can't see well enough to zero them or determine their accuracy. I "help" him by shooting his guns for him--I'm just a good guy who's willing to help a buddy! smile Hence, I have shot quite a few Nighthawks, Ed Brown's, and Wilson Combat's . I also used to shoot bowling pins with a bunch of guys who own a wide variety of 1911's. Naturally we shoot each other's guns to see what we like.

Anyhoo...compared to production guns (Colts, Kimbers, Springfields, Rugers, etc.) there just isn't any difference in performance. Making a functional 1911 isn't exactly a secret or even difficult. The custom shops make beautiful guns for sure, but they don't outperform production guns in either accuracy or reliability.

My two cents (and I'm sure I'll get change back) is this: handle them and buy the one that resonates with you, the one that makes you smile. Get the one you love looking at, that fits your hand, and makes you feel incomplete when you put it down. That's what you're paying for--not an advantage in accuracy or functionality.

Good luck! Be sure to post pics!

Good post with a lot of valid points.

A good 1911 is a good 1911, no matter what the rollmark says..............so much personal preference.

But not a big fan of production guns with lots of MIM parts, especially safeties & slide locks for obvious reasons, like the one below.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would like to try stainless Classic 1911 from BUL Ltd. This appears more advanced design with tapering barrel shape replacing barrel busing.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've had several of the high-end guns. I like Rugers and late (pre-CZ) Colts. I couldn't tell that the high-end guns were much if any better. All shot and functioned well.

Just read the thread and not sure if either of these is Cali compliant.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 01/18/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So without running my google-foo, what makes a 1911 California compliant? Or maybe I should ask, non-compliant?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drop test compliant via a FPS or a titanium FP, as far as I know.

MM

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'm in for nighthawk custom, have a talon II bobbed diamond coat, a talon like the early catalog with the titanium blue lower and a grp II. I also have a series 70 Delta elite and a 1924 colt non arsenal refinished. I guess my favorite is the one I have in my hand when you ask, I like em all.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
Thought long and hard about this thread all week, absolute favorite has to be the Baer Custom Carry i bought off Rockchucker here at the 'fire, that pistol is beyond anything i'm able to imagine for a clean, well built, accurate, vault tight, always ready, reliable 1911, did have my 'Smith remove the ambi safety for a single, noticed a couple times i had brushed it off safe while carrying, 'Smith fixed that minor annoyance.

Was that the one sticking out of you belt at Warehouse Willie's in Poteau, OK?

Not a carry gun, but a great shooter. Les Baer Long Slide .45 ACP.

I thought my Gold Cup was accurate until I shot this one. It shoots like a rifle.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Just a 9mm, but this Springfield is a really good shooter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[/quote]
Originally Posted by Fireball2
My only remaining 1911 is the 38 Souper, A.O.Swenson. I can't imagine a nicer feeling and shooting handgun on this platform. I don't shop new but if I was thataway inclined I'd buy a foundation gun and have it customized by a master. Find someone that builds winners.

I have a Swenson 45 with a Pardini like trigger.........so nice
For carry........a Tim Brian Officer Model.
They are always better than me.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by gunner500

Was that the one sticking out of you belt at Warehouse Willie's in Poteau, OK?

Not a carry gun, but a great shooter. Les Baer Long Slide .45 ACP.

I thought my Gold Cup was accurate until I shot this one. It shoots like a rifle.

DF

Have to admit that I'm a sucker for the long slide, I was at the range last Sunday and a friend let me shoot his new Dan Wesson Kodiak...........Thinking I might have to get one

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I traded for this Les Baer some time back. It was used (barely). Not sure I’d want to pay their current retail. The Dan Wesson would probably be a better buy. Those who have them seem to like them.

Didn’t CZ end up with Dan Wesson? And Colt and a few others. And that’s not a bad thing. The CZ folks seem to be gun people more than just “bean counters”.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I traded for this Les Baer some time back. It was used (barely). Not sure I’d want to pay their current retail. The Dan Wesson would probably be a better buy. Those who have them seem to like them.

Didn’t CZ end up with Dan Wesson? And Colt and a few others. And that’s not a bad thing. The CZ folks seem to be gun people more than just “bean counters”.

DF

Re: CZ Folks

I'm a member of a private range (owned by Hogdon) outside of KC, and the CZ folks are there shooting all the time. I've seen 'em pull up with warranty repair orders to test fire and seen 'em there sighting in their rifles for deer season. So at least the KC CZ team are "gun people."

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.