Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I have been driving Nissan Frontiers for 30 years. Just a great vehicle! I bet the Titan is just as good.

Same here as far as the Frontier/Hardbody, no idea however on the Titan.

Just dropped a whopping $400 in maintenance parts on my 99.

It received it's first tune-up at 226K

Plugs/wires/fuel filter and new distributor.
GTG

FJB & FJT
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Titan has already been discontinued in Canada, and will follow the same fate here in the U.S. soon.

Click Here

The Titan / Cummins combo died at the beginning of 2020.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Wow, that didn't last long. I thought the Cummins would lure a few people, but sounds like it didn't pan out. I'll admit, the new Frontier looks nice, but it's always taken a back seat to the Tacoma. I don't see it taking away any of Tacoma's market share. I priced one out, it was like $42k... eek

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The V8 Cummins in the Titan has had a lot of problems. People see the Cummins name and assume it’s in the same class as the I6 in the dodge but it’s not.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If a guy wants fuel economy and an interior that's head and shoulders above any Ford or GM product, and a supreme ride they need to look to the 3rd gen Ecodiesel. Lot's of folks like the new inline 6 cylinder diesel from GM as well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
The V8 Cummins in the Titan has had a lot of problems. People seethe Cummins name and assume it’s in the same class as the I6 in the dodge but it’s not.

I would trust an inline Cummins anytime any where... a V... never...

If someone put a F3.8 in a mid weight truck... with the proper hybrid assist trans... that would be a monster and get 50 MPG.

The new Tundra will eventually do that with the Tundra (but not a Cummins)... mark my words. It won't make it to America however.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by GeoW
They were good in the day.. Not so good today, not since owned by Renault.

I could not disagree more. I have a 2010 Frontier with 80K miles, my brother has a 2014 Frontier with 145K miles. We could not be happier. Two years ago I took the girlfriend on a 5,000 mile trip out to Yellowstone. Girlfriend owns a Lexus and an Acura. We took the Frontier to Wyoming and girlfriend was very impressed with the comfort of the pickup,

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I had a Nissan Frontier,...2004 model. 2.4 liter 4 cylinder. I was lucky if it got 14 mpg around town. I might as well have been driving an Escalade as far as gas milage was concerned. On a good day it would get 22,..maybe 24 out on the road.

,..and it was a *slug*.

Out on the Interstate--keeping up with traffic at 80 mph, it sounded like every nut on every bolt on the motor was about to take flight and go into orbit. If you held it to the floor long enough it would hit 100 mph with a good tailwind,..but that was it.

Also, every belt on the thing squealed like hell. You could replace the belts,...replace the belt tensioners,...do whatever. And maybe the belts would stop squealing for 2 or 3 months. Then they were back at it again.

Oh!,...and it rode like a log wagon and swayed like it was going to roll over when I went around a curve. I put heavy duty shocks on the rear to try to help the situation, but it made no difference.

I think I bent the shifting folks in the manual transmission from pulling it down into 4th from 5th in order to go up a hill. It wouldn't pull an incline in 5th gear.

After that it would make grinding noises off and on when you were going down the road.

I traded it in when I bought a Camry.

I was never so happy to get rid of a vehicle in my life. (well, that's not actually true. I hated my BMW 325I more. But that's a whole different story)

Anyway, I'm real particular when I buy a vehicle these days. Nissan isn't on the list.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I can't offer much other than saying that they don't much like being introduced into a granite wall at 35 mph. An idiot driving and his trying to show the passengers how powerful his new rig is isn't a good combo. The one time I rode in one it lasted about 3 minutes. Got a souvenir from that ride. I think I like the ferris wheel better, mom... wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
I can't offer much other than saying that they don't much like being introduced into a granite wall at 35 mph. An idiot driving and trying to show the passengers how powerful his new rig is isn't a good combo. The one time I rode in one it lasted about 3 minutes. Got a souvenir from that ride. I think I like the ferris wheel better, mom... wink

Was it your noggin that cracked the windshield?

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I can't offer much other than saying that they don't much like being introduced into a granite wall at 35 mph. An idiot driving and trying to show the passengers how powerful his new rig is isn't a good combo. The one time I rode in one it lasted about 3 minutes. Got a souvenir from that ride. I think I like the ferris wheel better, mom... wink

Yep, but thankfully the airbag was between my skull and the glass when it did. I'd never been in an accident where the AB deployed, so when the interior filled with white smoke from it I somehow thought we might be on fire and so bailed out. I overreacted a bit, but in my defense I was a little discombobulated at the time, as it was like 3 seconds after we came to a rest at the bottom of the icy hill after ping-ponging off some other stationary items.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Yep, but thankfully the airbag was between my skull and the glass when it did. I'd never been in an accident where the AB deployed, so when the interior filled with white smoke from it I somehow thought we might be on fire and so bailed out. I overreacted a bit, but in my defense I was a little discombobulated at the time, as it was like 3 seconds after we came to a rest at the bottom of the icy hill after ping-ponging off some other stationary items.

Understandable,...

"When in doubt,..get da fug out!"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 2010 Titan with around 108,000. It's been a great truck and will pass anything but a gas station.

Dan

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've had five Nissan/Datsuns since 1977, and I'm driving one today (a 2016 Frontier). While I don't doubt that Bristoe had issues with his 2004 4 banger, the six cylinder is a brute, and smooth as glass. That 2.5 liter ain't half the engine the older 2.4 liter was. I test-drove the 2.5 liter and decided that it wouldn't work for me, it was sluggish as hell. The big 4.0 V-6 is a monster for that size pickup.
I've been driving them since they were called "Datsun" and had no real serious issues with any of mine.
I don't like the mileage of that V-6 much, but I have managed to stretch it out to 23 MPG on a recent highway trip to Missouri, that was an outlier, though, I usually get 21.5 or thereabouts, still not too bad. I was going to buy a Titan back when they were priced reasonably, but the mileage there scared me away (12-17 EPA estimates). I'm sure I would like a larger pickup, but for my needs, the mid-sized trucks are a better fit, and the seats on a Frontier are a lot better than the Tacomas, according to my fused spine.

I like my Nissans and won't apologize for that.I've had excellent service out of them.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
I had a Titan for 15 years. The blower motor died in about year 12. That is the only thing I had go wrong with it. Bought a Tundra after that because the Toyota dealer offered a better deal than the local Nissan dealer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought a lightly used 20,000 mile 2wd 2019 Frontier from a Nissan dealer in the summer of 2020, the base model with wind-up windows.

I had wanted a 4wd Tacoma and was gonna wait until about now to buy one but in the summer of 2020 had occasion to drive a litter of puppies to NY State. My 297,000 mile Corolla probl’y woulda made it OK but I came across a good deal on the Frontier.

I was lucky, this was right before prices of everything went through the roof. I just looked, a same base 2019 Frontier with 32,000 miles on it is currently advertised locally for about $8,000 more than what I paid.

2.5L inline four, I woulda looked for an inline four in a Tacoma too, my experience has been that inline fours run forever. Turns out too that Nissan uses the same automatic transmission on the 2.5L four as they do on the 4L V-6.

Feels about as fast as my base Corolla, no problem rolling 80 all day long on the Interstate, consistent 18 mpg city 20 highway.

53,000 miles on the clock now, regular maintenance, no problems yet.

I put a hitch on it but haven’t had occasion to tow anything. When I do the horsepower deficit will likely become apparent but heck, I grew up driving VW Microbuses; 40 wild horses on tap.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Like my 17 titan xd platinum 4x4 v8 gas.

More than my 01, 09, 10, 13, tacoma's...

Does it get great mileage towing a 17ft 3.5k lb travel trailer? Nope, but it will pull it at 8k ft over a mountain pass with ease. And without a trailer it does about as good as my previous tacoma, with actual power.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 01/21/22.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Best friend had 2 He loved his. I drove it some when he was drunk. I found it hard to drive. His both had lots of electrical problems.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
When I built my log cabin I had a Frontier with the little 4 cylinder and 4WD. 80 percent of the material in my house, I hauled up a steep 3/4 mile long driveway in the little truck. 1,200 pounds of brick, 900 pounds of 12 foot 2x12s, a big load of pt 3/4 inch plywood, you name it the little truck never skipped a beat.

The little 4 may not win a drag race, but it has lots of torque. One day at the gravel quarry, the front end loader guy got a little carried away. When I got weighed, I had 2,000 pounds of gravel. In a 1/2 ton truck. I thought springs and shocks would explode. No, I drove home, shoveled out the gravel, and there was no damage to the Nissan.

What a badass little pickup.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FRONTIER
Owned two Nissan pickups, a 1997 I-4, 5sp man 2WD, got to 185Kmi until somebody ran into me and totalled it. And my current 2013 Nissan Fronty V-6, 5sp auto, 2WD. Within spitting distance of 200Kmi on the Fronty odo. No plans to replace it, it is in great shape. Great pickups, my only complaint was that they were not bigger as my family got bigger, no fault of theirs.

The 1997 was darned near flawless. I LOVED the front torsion bar suspension. So smooth. Wanted a manual in the 2013, but none available at the time. My most expensive repair was due to the auto: a part of the shifter broke. $800. Other than that, pretty trouble-free and hte auto in that truck has a good rep. Last, the 4.0 V-6 is a beast in that truck. Before I put on my heavy truck cap and load rating E AT tires, it would move out like a scalded-ass ape.

TITAN
I have heard "mixed" reviews on the Titan and its derivatives (Armada, van-type-thing). I have thus far passed on the Titan.

RENAULT
Yet, Renault has not done Nissan any favors. But the 2005-2021 Fronty was designed before Renault.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 3,030 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.