Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Seems like Shaen or Kevin Weaver could handle that project I’d think.

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Originally Posted by shinbone
"Shoulder mirage" is that last glimpse over your shoulder of your wife's angry face as you head out the door to the range for the third straight day.

If you're not careful to maintain concentration, that last image will hurt your shooting because you know you're going to be getting a big 'ol earful when you get home at the end of the day.

BTDT!
Here are a few images of the bore and crown. Pretty ugly. BTW I have also run Tubb's Final Finish through it in the past and it still looks this bad. The crown could be fixed but these are throughout the bore.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Looks bad.

How about a trip to JES for conversion to .358 Winchester?

You gotta ask for a 338 Federal to get a .358

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned more than a few Kimbers and never had a bad one. I just flat like the ergonomics, especially the Montana's.

The last one I owned was a Montana 84L in 270 Win. It shot great off the bench with proper light rifle technique. Out hunting, the rifle just would not settle. Shot a couple deer with it and it went down the road.

I got back into the Kimber game with a used Montana 8400 in 270 Win. Slapped a Leupold 3.5-10 on it and headed to range after making sure the barrel was clean, the action screws torqued and trigger right where I want it.

I checked 4 loads I had on hand. 100gr NAB, 130gr NBT, 130gr GMX and 130gr TSX. The only load the rifle did not like was the 130gr GMX. The other.

100gr NAB: average group 0.97 @3230 fps
130gr NBT: average group 0.76 @3053fps
130gr TSX: average group 1.02 @3076fps

My latest is a Montana 84M in 338 Federal. Did the same thing as above, cleaned the barrel, torqued the action screws and checked the trigger.
Going to the range this weekend to run a few rounds through it. I do not have standard loads like I do with the 270 Winchester. So I am starting from scratch with this cartridge. I fully expect this Kimber to shoot like all the others I have had. If it does not, a new barrel will be put on post haste. Heavier contour of course.

I am sure this rifle will have the same issue settling down for the shot out hunting, but I will deal with it. This rifle is going to be used mostly for rattling set ups in thick cover and covering lots of ground in the Black Hills. Shots will be close, typically 40-60 yards or so.

Arcus Venator
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would give it one more try since your a hand loader....try Cutting Edge Bullets get 100gr, Edge Flat Base might be surprised I've shot a lot of game using that bullet and in several guns that didn't shoot very good it was a great improvement....
The wife will like it also in the light weight Kimber it is very pleasant to shoot....most animals will be ....DRT....
I shoot the CEB 100gr. Flat Base Raptor in my Kimber it went from a 2" rifle to just over 1"....sure there not cheep but really how many times do you shoot a big game rifle....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

I've never understood the Kimber thing... they aren't cheap and you buy it brand new *knowing* it's a project. I would say I don't understand why Kimber didn't just address some of the issues, but that answer is easy: because people buy them anyway.

Sometimes I think it’d be easier to have bad taste, too.

Last edited by turkish; 01/26/22.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10
D
Figure if you touch enough rifles, you will eventually find a lemon or two.
🦫

You don't say.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by Judman
LarryO probably isn’t the best advice giver…. Nothing like spending over a grand snd having to fuuck with it… 😂

Bout like buying a brand new rig with the check engine light on. 😎👍😘

I've never understood the Kimber thing... they aren't cheap and you buy it brand new *knowing* it's a project. I would say I don't understand why Kimber didn't just address some of the issues, but that answer is easy: because people buy them anyway.

My Montana came thru with sub-moa proof targets, shot with 3 different loads, and I get similar accuracy. It hits where I aim in the field, that's all I need.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The reason they sell is because not all Kimbers are “projects”.
Even if it doesn’t shoot great, you have a controlled round feed action with three position safety and a good quality synthetic stock to build off of.
Check action prices and stock prices and you can see why people are willing to buy a kimber.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Pretty obvious why Kimber is gonna punt on the rifle game. Hopefully their 1911’s are a lil betta.. 😂

Kimber builds kitschy stuff. I wouldn’t count on anything from them being better.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sid Gray
Even if it doesn’t shoot great, you have a controlled round feed action with three position safety and a good quality synthetic stock to build off of.
Check action prices and stock prices and you can see why people are willing to buy a kimber.

That’s like buying a brand new Jeep for $40,000+ and rebuilding it from the ground up as a starter kit. Jeeps are kitschy these days too.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
No different than buying an M700 that needs a $150 trigger right out of the gate. 😝

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by kenster99
I guess I lucked out with my Montana I bought used on the campfire a few years ago.

I guess I have the same luck as you with ALL the limbers I’ve had too.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Nor is a shiit rifle…

I buy Tikkas 😀

You bitching or braggin?

Last edited by tzone; 01/27/22.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I can afford whatever I want... tikkas for the win.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had my worst luck with Rugers. I can think of four that did not shoot to expectations, and a tang safety broke on another.

From my experience they are junk. 100% failure rate. Never had one that I contemplated keeping. Talk about bad luck with a brand.

So I can see how that could happen with any brand. Just has not been my experience with Kimbers.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rugers like to be very clean to produce good groups, clean mine every 20 rounds and get 1/2 inch groups.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sid Gray

Bingo.

Yup.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I can afford whatever I want... tikkas for the win.

I guess if you call schit stocks and plastic mags winning….you go!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Name a time a tikka stock or mag failed you in the field. I think magpul and Glock settled that argument years ago.

You can also get a wood/blued tikka, and a metal mag. Why would you though?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GIve Shaen a call, he will do you right.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (257 mag, 44mc, 1eyedmule, 35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 11 invisible), 1,312 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,270
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.