Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by CRS
I have had my worst luck with Rugers. I can think of four that did not shoot to expectations, and a tang safety broke on another.

From my experience they are junk. 100% failure rate. Never had one that I contemplated keeping. Talk about bad luck with a brand.

So I can see how that could happen with any brand. Just has not been my experience with Kimbers.

I don't doubt this as it happens sometimes. Mine worst were Remington products, but oddly Ruger has been good for me and my Hawkeye compact 338RCM is really the best hunting rifle I own and its about perfect. I've only got one Kimber so I dont know how they are on average.

GB1

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remington's are #2 on the list, frozen triggers, broken extractors. Never had one accidental discharge, or a bolt fall off. Gave up on them ten plus years ago.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

It took 10 shots to sight in, and one shot to kill a buck.

range report 200 yards 10-2-2018

Kimber 84L 280 AI
2" 3 shot group 1" right

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oooh I like that rifle.

Looks like you wanted considerably more comb?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Oooh I like that rifle.

Looks like you wanted considerably more comb?

I had to raise my Montana comb about 3/8" to properly view thru the scope. An earlier 84M Classic was fine as it came. The Montana stocks seem less full in the comb than the wood stocks.

IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went to the range today to shoot my Kimber Montana 338 Federal. Found some 180gr NAB factory loads.

Avg velocity was 2770fps through 20 rounds. Accuracy was not good and velocity spread was too high.

5 shot groups showed 3 in an inch but two flyers in each group opened them up to 3 plus inches. Not surprising with the extreme spread and high standard deviation. Light barrels usually do not tolerate this very well.

Will try some reloads, check runout etc. If I have a bad Kimber, a new barrel will be ordered post haste. Love the stock ergonomics and the lightweight CRF action. I am absolutely positive that a heavier contour, fluted for weight savings and threaded will perform fantastic. Having a great machinist/gunsmith helps.

Arcus Venator
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
After reading all the Kimber rants here over 10yrs ago, I wasn’t gonna buy one, too expensive, blah blah blah. Then a buddy bought a Montana, then another and another and they all shot great… so I took the plunge and bought one, then another and another and… they ALL (7 total owned, still have 6 and about to buy another) have shot great with minimal effort. I honestly can’t say the same for Winchester, Remington, Ruger or even the beloved Tikka’s. I’ve tried a variety, but haven’t found any one that I like better or that has served me better. Still have a few Winchester 70’s and a few Rem 700’s too, but my Kimbers are my favorites overall - as someone else mentioned they have a great action, 3 position safety, and stock (can’t say that for any of the others).

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by TXRam
After reading all the Kimber rants here over 10yrs ago, I wasn’t gonna buy one, too expensive, blah blah blah. Then a buddy bought a Montana, then another and another and they all shot great… so I took the plunge and bought one, then another and another and… they ALL (7 total owned, still have 6 and about to buy another) have shot great with minimal effort. I honestly can’t say the same for Winchester, Remington, Ruger or even the beloved Tikka’s. I’ve tried a variety, but haven’t found any one that I like better or that has served me better. Still have a few Winchester 70’s and a few Rem 700’s too, but my Kimbers are my favorites overall - as someone else mentioned they have a great action, 3 position safety, and stock (can’t say that for any of the others).

My first Kimber was a Classic in 300WSM, just after the WSM rounds came out. IIRC it was SN 323. It was a great shooting rifle, and I'm sure I have owned another 15-20 more in all varieties since that one.

Over all that time, I only had one rifle that didn't impress me early on regarding accuracy (but to be fair, that rifle never got a fair test . . . had less than 25 rounds through it when I sold it . . . I had already decided I really didn't need a 270WSM).

They have all served me well, and beyond that, they have such great ergos. Nothing else feels as good to me, and in the price range, no other company offers a quality synthetic stock like the Montana, or a sleek finely checkered walnut stock like the Classic.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've got a pretty kimber in 300 wm that has killed two elk and 5 or 6 deer. It is a stunner at the range and I wasn't afraid to shoot out to 500 yds with it. I slid down several rock screes and got banged up pretty good. I got a lighter 300wsm and haven't really taken it out of the safe for 7 years. Its too dinged up to sell and I hate getting rid of rifles that work, so will keep it. My bride can get rid of it when I die.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I too must be in the "lucky" group.....

My Kimber 8400 325 WSM Super America shot factory Winchester Supreme 200 Grain Ballistic Silvertips into 5/8 - 3/4" groups. A buddy I bought it from took it to Africa and shot 13 African plains game animals with 14 shots.

My Kimber 280AI Mountain Ascent shoots 1/2 - 3/4" groups with 3 different handloads.

NO ISSUES with either rifle.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dropped it off at Phoenix Custom Rifles yesterday. Keith told me when I get it back it will stack bullets on top of each other.
Going to become probably the only 6.5 Creedmoor Super America in existence.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 02/02/22.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What barrel ya goin with Blacktailer?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
tagged

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Name a time a tikka stock or mag failed you in the field. I think magpul and Glock settled that argument years ago.

You can also get a wood/blued tikka, and a metal mag. Why would you though?

I'm not saying they failed. I'm saying the stock have the ergos of milk crate and I don't like plastic mags.

I've not had a kimber fail me and they fit me like a glove.

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I apologize if this has been asked already, but when did Kimber go to Bergara and Criterion barrels? I have a .257 Roberts I bought 4 years ago that does 1.5"-3" groups. I got it from Euro Optics and from talking to them it sounded like it was made well before I bought it. It does consistently shoot 1" with Hammer Hunters however. Rebarreling may be the way to go.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Jud,
I'm leaving that up to Keith. He builds a lot of competition rifles so it depends on what he finds among his favorites that we can get delivery on. Possibly Bartlein or Benchmark or a few others that are lesser known but he has had good experience with

Last edited by Blacktailer; 02/02/22.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Jud,
I'm leaving that up to Keith. He builds a lot of competition rifles so it depends on what he finds among his favorites that we can get delivery on. Possibly Bartlein or Benchmark or a few others that are lesser known but he has had good experience with

Copy sure you’ll be happy bud. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 160user, 338reddog, 300jimmy, 2UP, 24 invisible), 1,686 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.