Hop To
#16860011 01/19/22
B
Basco Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Anyone starting to see HV HP ammo on shelves yet? Squeaks will be coming around in 4-6 weeks. Shot more RF ammo on grd squirrels last year than I ve done for years. The 223 light loads are just too expensive now with the price of primers, powder and bullets.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Try your local Walmart.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Our walmart had some and Murdocks had a bunch.

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Our walmart had some and Murdocks had a bunch.

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There’s .22 ammo all over the web, but not everywhere all the time. You gotta look, then buy it when you find it. If you’re counting on finding it at MeeMaw & PeePaw’s anytime you care to wander in, the squeaks are gonna have a peaceful Spring. Just the way it is.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You can order direct from CCI, it may take a few weeks to get it and it is not the most inexpensive way to purchase but it is better than not having any.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Begs the question, why HV HP's for small rodents? I routinely use low velocity match ammo to dispatch groundhogs, one shot to the noggin. Just wondering.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I also just use SV or match ammo to dispatch pest such as chucks or raccoons. Heck, I killed a raccoon with a .177 Crossman Marauder air rifle. As pointed out above, one shot to the noggin gets it done.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by drover
You can order direct from CCI, it may take a few weeks to get it and it is not the most inexpensive way to purchase but it is better than not having any.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/

drover

I just got 1000 rds of minimag from them. Arrived in a week here in Oregon and was the best deal I could find on the net. I looked everywhere but the frt factor crept up the prices past the cci price as they had free freight.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
natchezss has 17 hmr for 17.50 and 22 mag for 18.99. As stated above we will never see the prices of a couple years ago sure glad i stocked up then

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[quote=gnoahhh]Begs the question, why HV HP's for small rodents? I routinely use low velocity match ammo to dispatch groundhogs, one shot to the noggin. Just wondering.

/quote]

Based strictly on reading about it, solid-nosed ammo lets too many crawl off to die elsewhere. These things are pretty small and lively, I take it, so head-shots aren’t always taken. Reviews of various lead-free ammo brands frequently mention poor performance on the little rats. When I used to shoot a lot of starlings, I enjoyed the pop ‘n puff HSHPs, especially Stingers, used to produce.

Starlings are great targets for rifle and shotguns. Oh for the good ol’ days!

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Walmart here had WW PowerPoints $40.18 for 300. They had about ten boxes.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
[quote=gnoahhh]Begs the question, why HV HP's for small rodents? I routinely use low velocity match ammo to dispatch groundhogs, one shot to the noggin. Just wondering.

/quote]

Based strictly on reading about it, solid-nosed ammo lets too many crawl off to die elsewhere. These things are pretty small and lively, I take it, so head-shots aren’t always taken. Reviews of various lead-free ammo brands frequently mention poor performance on the little rats. When I used to shoot a lot of starlings, I enjoyed the pop ‘n puff HSHPs, especially Stingers, used to produce.

Starlings are great targets for rifle and shotguns. Oh for the good ol’ days!

Pappy348 - you are spot on with the reason for using HP on ground squirrels, they are a small target, and are very active darting from place to place so head shots are pretty much out of the norm. They are tenascious to life, even with half of them blown away they will still manage to crawl down their hole. I have always said that given their refusal to die if they were as large as grizzly bears we would all be bear poop.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Gnoahh: I Hunt a lot of Ground Squirrels and it IS needed, to have the high velocity hollow-points for this use.
Some of the reasons being the flatter trajecory for the high velocity ammo as compared to the "rainbow" trajectoried S/V stuff.
Often the Ground Squirrels are shot at extended and unknown distances and in high volumes - laser ranging takes up to much trigger time.
S/V ammo is great for shooting at KNOWN distances (like 25 yards and/or 50 yards!) where the trajectory is not a factor - but when shooting out at 125 to 175 yards the high-velocity ammo REALLY excels, comparatively.
Then there is the "lethality" factor comparing the H/V hollow-points and the lead round nose S/V stuff - there is NO comparison!
Even though they are Varmints and or pests I prefer to kill as many as possible as cleanly and quickly as possible! This is virtually mandatory for me as I often shoot 300 to 400 rounds a day and I know how much better I feel doing the farmers and ranchers a favor when most of my hits are quick kills as compared to the much less "efficient" S/V round nose rimfire ammo.
Yeah its possible to kill small creatures with S/V round nose ammo, BUT, the high velocity hollow-point ammo is better, WAY better in the field.
And I often run across Jack Rabbits, Badgers, Rock Chucks and an occasional Fox while Ground Squirrel Hunting - here the H/V hollow-point ammo is even more preferable.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Gnoahh: I Hunt a lot of Ground Squirrels and it IS needed, to have the high velocity hollow-points for this use.
Some of the reasons being the flatter trajecory for the high velocity ammo as compared to the "rainbow" trajectoried S/V stuff.
Often the Ground Squirrels are shot at extended and unknown distances and in high volumes - laser ranging takes up to much trigger time.
S/V ammo is great for shooting at KNOWN distances (like 25 yards and/or 50 yards!) where the trajectory is not a factor - but when shooting out at 125 to 175 yards the high-velocity ammo REALLY excels, comparatively.
Then there is the "lethality" factor comparing the H/V hollow-points and the lead round nose S/V stuff - there is NO comparison!
Even though they are Varmints and or pests I prefer to kill as many as possible as cleanly and quickly as possible! This is virtually mandatory for me as I often shoot 300 to 400 rounds a day and I know how much better I feel doing the farmers and ranchers a favor when most of my hits are quick kills as compared to the much less "efficient" S/V round nose rimfire ammo.
Yeah its possible to kill small creatures with S/V round nose ammo, BUT, the high velocity hollow-point ammo is better, WAY better in the field.
And I often run across Jack Rabbits, Badgers, Rock Chucks and an occasional Fox while Ground Squirrel Hunting - here the H/V hollow-point ammo is even more preferable.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I’ve been using WW Power Points since they were originally imported from Australia. The US made ones are about as good and will shoot inside 1/4” @ 50 yards from my ULA Model 20, cold barrel or not.

I use Eley Subsonic Hollow Xtra Plus for backyard pests, it’s the only subsonic HP I’ve found that reliably expands, but I don’t use them at long ranges.

I have some WW Subsonic HP’s (Australian imports with bullets identical to Power Points, but not copper washed) that are good killers as well, but I haven’t recovered any bullets to see if they expand. They are quiet and very accurate.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
As an alternative that may be useful when .22 hollowpoints can be hard to find, use a hollow point tool to convert solid nose to hollowpoint. I have 2 different kinds that basically work the same, one made by "D-Rock" a former poster on here. I do not know if these are still being made. The second one is marketed by Paco Kelly over on Leverguns.

I havent found that coverting the rounds to Hollowpoints appreciably improves accuracy, like they wont convert cheap bulk ammo to 10x accuracy.

What they will do for sure, is to convert already accurate solid non hollowpoint ammunition in YOUR firearm, to accurate hollowpoint ammo. I have found that I still get good expansion using accurate subsonic ammo on small rodents like ground squirrels, but without the fragmentation. So the rounds wont blow them apart, but hits with a solid audible "thump" and leaves a big hole when exiting.

This may be useful to some who can find solid nose ammo but not high speed hollowpoints.

Manny

Last edited by mannyspd1; 01/28/22.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
our local walmart had WW powerpoints in stock, only ammo on their shelves $40 ish for 300 round boxes

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,626
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.