Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gwrench
You usually don't need a virus program with Linux. Technically it may be possible for a virus to attack linux but they are extremely rare so far. Virus programs can be installed, but my understanding is they would mostly look for windows viruses.

Most Linux distro's like Ubuntu or Mint come with a basic firewall. Deep under the hood there's a lot of adjustments and settings to lock things down (or mess things up). I have found no need.

Sometimes a slow acting computer is windows going bad. Sometimes it's a slow mechanical hard drive. Linux will act better than windows but the real problem is it needs a new hard drive.

Replacing a desktop hard drive is pretty easy. Laptops vary but are often a pain to change hard drives.

In his book “Online!” John Dvorak (American technology columnist), says that “Linux cannot be absolutely immune to viruses. Even if Linux’s non-susceptibility seems to be absolute there is no guaranteeing that tomorrow…someone won’t find a tiny hole to push an elephant through. ”

That is all.

Swifty
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Basically, I forgot about anti-virus worries going to Ubuntu. I've been running now since 2014 with no problems.

I did get my Amazon account and Google account hacked at one point, but that was wholly unrelated. I just changed passwords and it went away.

Mind you, I don't go clicking on everything I see. I'm pretty savvy on not getting nailed.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
Basically, I forgot about anti-virus worries going to Ubuntu. I've been running now since 2014 with no problems.

I did get my Amazon account and Google account hacked at one point, but that was wholly unrelated. I just changed passwords and it went away.

Mind you, I don't go clicking on everything I see. I'm pretty savvy on not getting nailed.

Bet these folks were or thought they were too.🤣

https://www.coindesk.com/tech/2021/09/23/bitcoinorg-appears-hacked-by-giveaway-scam/

Bitcoin.org’s website has gone dark after falling victim to an apparent giveaway scam earlier Thursday.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billyb...after-300-billion-crash/?sh=47d35145c74d

Hacked off: Cybercriminals have made off with almost $200 million worth of cryptocurrencies from Cayman Islands-based crypto exchange Bitmart, it was first reported by digital security analysis company Peckshield over the weekend. Representatives of the trading platform initially claimed that the outflows were routine withdrawals, calling hack reports "fake news" in Bitmart's official Telegram channel. Bitmart's CEO then confirmed the hack via Twitter.

And another one fell this week.

https://www.altcoinbuzz.io/cryptocurrency-news/crypto-com-admits-hack-cost-it-about-35-million/

Crypto.com became one of the recent platforms to face an attack from hackers, leaving a number of users with huge losses. Several users called out the exchange to complain about their account’s fraudulent activities. However, it took a few hours for the platform to respond to the calls.

Furthermore, a blockchain security firm, Peckshield, issued an alert tweet, stating that the figures were as high as $15 million. Later in the day, Crypto.com CEO Kris Marszalek said that there were no missing customer funds. He further explained that an investigation was underway to ascertain the level of the damage.

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
RJL, in hindsight, I should not have made multi-boot USB sticks. Some people could not boot Feren, and some could not boot Mint - seemingly in the order in which I loaded them onto the stick. My app would not let me make a multi-boot with Zorin at all.

Go to the Mint website and follow their instructions for downloading the current version and making a bootable stick. Format the stick I sent you first. That should cure your issues.

Also in hindsight, I don't much like Feren. I've installed it three times now and it doesn't perform as quickly as others. I was drawn to it because it offers you a choice of eight different browsers to install, but that doesn't make up for its sluggishness.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where I live, any guy half my age is an over 50% chance he is a software engineer.

A friend whose software engineer son gave him a Linux computer had trouble.
I took a young neigbor software engineer there to help.
What surprised me was how fast the young guy could get around the passwords.

My story is that MY son the software engineer gave me a computer.
When I updated Windows, Microsoft said I had a bootleg copy of the operating system.

Beware of software engineers bearing gifts.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by gwrench
You usually don't need a virus program with Linux. Technically it may be possible for a virus to attack linux but they are extremely rare so far. Virus programs can be installed, but my understanding is they would mostly look for windows viruses.

In his book “Online!” John Dvorak (American technology columnist), says that “Linux cannot be absolutely immune to viruses. Even if Linux’s non-susceptibility seems to be absolute there is no guaranteeing that tomorrow…someone won’t find a tiny hole to push an elephant through. ”

That is all.

Which is why I said "usually".

Nobody is making guarantees for the future.

Currently viruses and the like as a threat to linux is miniscule in comparison to windows, phishing etc.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back about 12-15 years ago, I was the system administrator for a meteorology system the Air Force used that operated on Linux/Red Hat. I hated that system with a passion, not because of how it ran, but because no one else in the unit could maintain the darn thing. I was happy the day that administrator rights were pulled from the units and sent to HQ AF Weather. They would then dial into it to maintain it, but I'm sure that is long gone by now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used linux since 1999. Started with Redhat. Did a lot of diddling with other distros, but these days I install Linux Mint and call it a day.

The whole household runs on old/refurb laptops with Mint installed, save for my wife's. She has this Criqet machine for which I could not find linux drivers.

If I feel lke splurging, I will buy a reconditioned used laptop. If I am feeling sporty, I will pick up lappys off craigslist. IBM, Lenovo, and HP business class are best prospects. Not a single computer in the house was bought new.

Some variant of Linux will work for most every home user and most business users.

And like RR showed, linux can run on older/lesser hardware if you choose hte correct distribution.

Mint runs hands-off for me once I install and configure it. I touch the kiddos machines maybe once or twice a year. They run until the hardware breaks. And if you start with quality refurb lenovo business class lappys, that can be a long time.

Starting with used business class laptops allows you to keep hot spares without breaking the bank. For instance, my daughter fell asleep on her laptop and busted the monitor. With the hot spare, I transferred the files (scp) & set up a login on the new laptop, and she was ready to go in under an hour. Faster than they can manage such at work and I work at Big Corp.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
TAG

You gotta stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife does linex with white text on dark background.

I think it is witchcraft.

Only the swim test can tell.

See if the witch floats.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The problem with anything IT, there is always a word or phrase that stops any interest cold. It seems no-one can write anything IT without including these roadblocks.

I have used them since their introduction, but have no understanding of them and nothing man made can glaze my eyes over faster than trying to read anything IT.
If you are not an IT person, there is nothing more incomprehensible than computers and their technology.
As a subject, I cannot like it, but recognize my hatred and total disrespect is equally or moreso directed at anything Windows.

The caveat is that I am not anti IT and love the technological advances and usage specially in medicine but as a basic consumer who does basic browsing and some word and excel, it is way too complicated and cannot hold my interest.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My wife and I both use Mint, and have almost no issues. There are a few websites that just don't work with it. One of our banking institutions, when we home schooled our grandaughter, for her to take the end of year tests, it had to be Windows. So she keeps an old Win10 just for the rare needs.

I have also run into sites that don't work well with Dissenter browser. So I keep Firefox for those situations, but I hate the monthly FF updates that are about 56megs each. I don't update it very often. But that has nothing to do with Mint.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
The problem with anything IT, there is always a word or phrase that stops any interest cold. It seems no-one can write anything IT without including these roadblocks.

I have used them since their introduction, but have no understanding of them and nothing man made can glaze my eyes over faster than trying to read anything IT.
If you are not an IT person, there is nothing more incomprehensible than computers and their technology.
As a subject, I cannot like it, but recognize my hatred and total disrespect is equally or moreso directed at anything Windows.

The caveat is that I am not anti IT and love the technological advances and usage specially in medicine but as a basic consumer who does basic browsing and some word and excel, it is way too complicated and cannot hold my interest.

i've been in IT for 40 years and agree with you. computers/networking, etc takes a whole different level of understanding than almost anything else. i have tried to train older people who wouldn't know a pc from a hole in the ground and it is daunting to even get the basic concepts explained. i grew up with computers but i still remember my first training classes and saying to myself "WTF is this??"

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It seems that Firefox is a dying browser, due mostly to their own decisions about things. I switched to Brave about six months ago and am completely happy with it. I did disable the Rewards and Wallet functions immediately, and I disabled the sponsored ads as well. Fortunately, those are easy things to do. I can't think of a website that Brave wouldn't open, but if I find one, I'd open up my de-Googled Chromium browser.

If browsing privacy isn't vital to someone, there's Vivaldi, Opera, regular Chromium, or even (gag) Chrome, besides Firefox. Most Linux distros still come with Firefox as the default. When I test a distro, I'll open FF and sync it just to get all my bookmarks and stuff loaded up, and then load Brave to import them. Brave also has a sync function, but I have to enter a 24-word key to use it. Simpler to just import from FF.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Clarkm
....My story is that MY son the software engineer gave me a computer.
When I updated Windows, Microsoft said I had a bootleg copy of the operating system.

LOL! I love this. Its funny to ME because it happened to me, and I was "poor" at the time(damn women) and I had to figure out a solution. So I read and read and read. Never took a class on the subject but now its so easy for me to hack a motherboard bios and windows once installed is activated permanently on MS servers. Or download an ISO and rip telemetry and all other useless junk(MS Store, etc) out creating a minimal OS just for me(or anyone else that slips a few $$ and wanted something one off at the time). Good side money lol.

Now linux thats a different story. Actually frustrates the hell out of me. Only use form of Debian headless on Raspberry Pi to run pihole and block...all sorts of stuff. Just had some files corrupt during an update and had to do a fresh install of Dietpi and ill be damned id get almost finished and go to reboot and the sob would fault on boot(something with kernel on the fresh OS is only thing I can think of). Tried 3 times and said screw it, went and reflashed the backup from 2021 and then updated everything from there. Perfect. But had me so damn pissed! A fresh install bad?!?! Even tried using another repository for downloads during install and never boot. GRRR!!! Give me Windows any day!!!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by pahick

LOL! I love this. Its funny to ME because it happened to me, and I was "poor" at the time(damn women) and I had to figure out a solution. So I read and read and read. Never took a class on the subject but now its so easy for me to hack a motherboard bios and windows once installed is activated permanently on MS servers. Or download an ISO and rip telemetry and all other useless junk(MS Store, etc) out creating a minimal OS just for me(or anyone else that slips a few $$ and wanted something one off at the time). Good side money lol.

Now linux thats a different story. Actually frustrates the hell out of me. Only use form of Debian headless on Raspberry Pi to run pihole and block...all sorts of stuff. Just had some files corrupt during an update and had to do a fresh install of Dietpi and ill be damned id get almost finished and go to reboot and the sob would fault on boot(something with kernel on the fresh OS is only thing I can think of). Tried 3 times and said screw it, went and reflashed the backup from 2021 and then updated everything from there. Perfect. But had me so damn pissed! A fresh install bad?!?! Even tried using another repository for downloads during install and never boot. GRRR!!! Give me Windows any day!!!

No offense intended, but that may have well been ancient Hebrew. As a near 30 year computer user, I understood and learned nothing from it. That examples my point with anything IT. It is utterly foreign language and it wrongly assumes that it is general knowledge withe the consumer and it never has been.

When I ran companies I issued instruction for IT to gather information and output reports daily as email attachments. That worked much more effectively that expecting a whole admin to execute search and learn every morning to function. It doesn't need to be complicated and for some reason, IT loves complication.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
I thought this was going to be about the Peanuts comic strip

Ok....giving props for that one !

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by pahick

No offense intended, but that may have well been ancient Hebrew. As a near 30 year computer user, I understood and learned nothing from it. That examples my point with anything IT. It is utterly foreign language and it wrongly assumes that it is general knowledge withe the consumer and it never has been.

When I ran companies I issued instruction for IT to gather information and output reports daily as email attachments. That worked much more effectively that expecting a whole admin to execute search and learn every morning to function. It doesn't need to be complicated and for some reason, IT loves complication.

No offense taken. Takes a certain kind of person to want to know, whether its career, hobby, necessity or laziness. I grew up in the automotive business. What did I know about computers or networking? Not a damn thing. But when the issue I had arose I thought why the hell cant I do this? Geeks can do it and they cant rebuild a trans or setup a rear...so I read. Ive always been this way. One time my old man wanted me to help build a shed. We were slow at the shop so he started things off and told me what to do. I just did it. Since we were slow at work back then I looked for extra work. Ended up BSing my way into roofing. Never roofed before, just threw some shingles on a shed lol. Got to the 1st job site and im like f*~k! This aint no shed LOL. But I watched the other guys and just followed along. Did that for 3 years and went back to the shop. I just pick up on schit quick.

Most people dont want to be bothered...like me and linux. I just need to know enough to limp through with my pihole setup and be done with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At different times at different jobs I have had a software engineer to work with.

I draw flow charts to communicate.

I draw schematics with lines right up to their microprocessor pins.

When I was young I flunked out of classes in music, French, French again, Latin, ... but in computer programming classes I bought other student's programs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Tails will boot from the usb and leave no traces of your surfing or anything else you do unless you tell it to.

You can do that with Windows. Even if you didnt "debloat" Windows, your surfing habits can be "hidden" with incognito mode in certain browsers.

Ya know thats what kind of bothers me when folks look to linux as some sort of protection from malware, spyware...government ..anyone.... big problem with the software prospective. What you do on your pc leaves your pc. Your ISP might not know what you did exactly but they know where you went. You can change DNS servers, VPN, etc etc... theres no perfect solution and the OS on your system is actually not the best solution.

Actually, id say using Tor network could cause major problems. Criminals love it because of the perceived anonymity, and law enforcement knows it. Cyber teams key in on it. I feel more comfortable in a much bigger group of criminals than on a network where im on the same node as some pedos sharing child porn. But hey thats just me.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.