Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Well, according to the "expert" behind the counter at a local pawn shop, it's because you can shoot bigger bullets, use more powder, and shoot a lot farther with a BDL as opposed to the ADL.

I was looking at a couple of 700's they had, one a BDL and the other an ADL. I was getting a look at serial numbers and condition, and happened to remark that the BDL was a lot heavier, and that's when he told me why.

I guess a fellow is never too old to learn something.

BP-B6

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They live among us.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Lol

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds reasonable

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I wish I'd known that years ago.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A guy at the counter hmmm.

I asked at a local store why they had a rather poor powder selection, he told me they only stock what sells. I was not to surprised that powder they don’t stock sells poorly.

A guy came into that store and was mad that heavier bullets in his revolver were hitting higher than the light bullets. The guy behind the counter told him that’s a load of BS. While we were walking out the fellow with me said I’m glad you didn’t get in the middle of that discussion - “don’t worry” was all I said.

A fellow can learn a lot at the counter (sometimes it’s about humanity.).

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This weeks installment of “Bubba’s words of wisdom from the gun counter”…

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought everyone knew that.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Soooooo, my question is: Where does that put a CDL?

I'm eager to learn.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chesterwy
They live among us.

And their vote counts the same as yours AND, in all probability, cancels yours.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
ADL,s in LH are a pain if cartridges don't feed to the top of the mag well, with a BDL you can clear easily and fast.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doggone it, and all these years I've been using ADL loads in my BDL's and not killing stuff as dead as I might .....

That counter guy should publish a book seeing as Ed McManus isn't around any more....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I just helped a guy who told me he is a big gun guy and have I ever heard of a 22 hornet. Had to show me videos of him shooting a watermelon with this new one I might not know, the 450 bushmaster.

Gee he must be a genius and know everything. So glad he stopped by and couldn't fill out the 4473 without talking to himself the whole time and asked a bunch of stupid questions. Lol

...thought you were a big gun guy...?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
WOW where does this place the 40X single shot with no magazine at all ????????

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

I'm eager to learn.

Clearly the CDL is for the most powerful cartridges untouched by the lowly ADL and BDL’s.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I'm eager to learn.

I heard they were coming out with a ‘EDL” …

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I'm eager to learn.

Well obviously a step up from a BDL .

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Still not as good as the woman at the Walmart gun section selling a guy that just bought a new Ruger 77 Stainless 300 win mag weaver mounts.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
my friend works at a Cabela`s store in the gun room and sold a liberal / snowflake a side by side 12 gauge , the snowflake buying this side by side ask my friend how many shells does it hold ?

Last edited by pete53; 01/21/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Still not as good as the woman at the Walmart gun section selling a guy that just bought a new Ruger 77 Stainless 300 win mag weaver mounts.

Back when you could use the BrickSeek inventory checker for Walmart, I found a Remington 700 6.5 Creedmoor at the local store. I go and ask the clerk, a young Black gal, if I can see it because I wanted to buy it. The rifle was in their gun room, and she had to go back and find it. She came back empty handed, and told me that they only had Remington 700's, and no Remington 6.5's. I got pizzed and left. A few days later, and friend went and bought it, after they'd put it in the display case.

Some Walmart employees, about 1 out of a 100, know their stuff, the rest are dumber than a box of rocks.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Pretty fun stuff

I think if you have serious questions that you really want to know
Maybe the big box stores are not the places to shop
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I remember a guy in a huge old established gun shop when my buddy asked if the rifle had 9 twist. He sighted down the bore and said yep

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I was reading some old Rifle magazines today. One report on a new Howa model. It features a hammer forged barrel with cut rifling. Another article had a review of the old .303 jungle carbine. It had an aperture sight with a large .015 opening. Later this was changed to a smaller .010 aperture. This same guy in another issue was comparing the ballistics of the 6.5 x 54 MS. To make the velocity more relative he converted fps to mph. He calculated the bullet was moving out at 180 mph. Thats moving.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

I had Weaver bases and Burris Zee rings on my
300 winmag. Had em on my 7 mag too. LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Listening to guys at gun counters (both sides) has been when I have had to practice my self control more than any other place on earth. Some of the outlandish things I hear people say there just cracks me up and makes my blood boil on different days.... wink

I heard the hero behind the counter at Sportsmans Warehouse one day trying to sell an AR15 to some neophyte. His selling point was "he could take his and shoot a 1" group at 400 yards offhand as fast as he could pull the trigger."..... best I could do was start laughing and walk away before I called BS on the guy....
Gunshows are also sometimes quite entertaining...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
or a woman walks in wanting to purchase a 30-30 for her 14 year old son who wants to start deer hunting, and the clerk wants to sell her a 300 WIN MAG to up the sale. Tells her he will be able to reach out further and take anything in North America with said rifle. On the other hand he doesnt tell her about the recoil and ammunition price etc.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like it when near the end of deer season, a guy walks in the shop and says. " I want to trade in my 30-06 for a 300 Win Mag...I want something with Knock Down Power"

Heard it many times. One day I heard a guy say that and I couldn't resist. I said, "I'll give you $100 for the 06 and some free advise. If you want to Knock A Deer Down, hit it with your F150. If you want a clean kill...learn how to shoot."

I thought it was funny. He didn't. frown

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hookeye

You put weaver rings and bases on a ruger 77?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
They exist on both sides of the counter.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by hookeye

You put weaver rings and bases on a ruger 77?

I can't answer for the poster but I did have a Ruger 77 in 25/06 that I put Weaver bases and rings on. Back in the mid-70's Ruger made round-top receivers because some folks did not like the Ruger base ring set-up. As I recall they only did it for a short time but if you keep your eyes open every now and then you will run across a round top receiver. I suspect that they are like most short run items and likely bring a premium over the standard model.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yep.

Those "round tops" that were drilled and tapped were spaced to accept bases that were made to fit Remington actions - if I remember correctly.

A lot of those "round tops" that were drilled and tapped also had factory sites.

I have a 200th year "round top" that was drilled and tapped - without sites. According to Ruger, that rifle was never produced. It did leave the factory that way. Original owner still had the box. Mine also has the tang safety - right where it should be.

GB

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I'm eager to learn.
those are the ones built to shoot all the 30 calibers from one gun

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

BDL’s also kill bigger critters. ADL vs BDL, examples below-

small bullet adl piglet

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BIGGER BOOLIT BDL BOAR

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK, serious question for the gallery...I have three rifles that I converted from ADL to BDL...

Where do I stand with these?

Stick to shooting small stuff?

Go do some monster mashing?

Help please....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang!!!! Those sound like Bruce Jenner rifles…. 🤣

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
For big stuff you’ll need a 50mm scope to compensate for the rebuild. Makes everything closer.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Back when you could use the BrickSeek inventory checker for Walmart, I found a Remington 700 6.5 Creedmoor at the local store. I go and ask the clerk, a young Black gal, if I can see it because I wanted to buy it. The rifle was in their gun room, and she had to go back and find it. She came back empty handed, and told me that they only had Remington 700's, and no Remington 6.5's. I got pizzed and left. A few days later, and friend went and bought it, after they'd put it in the display case.

Some Walmart employees, about 1 out of a 100, know their stuff, the rest are dumber than a box of rocks.

Well boxes of rocks do have feelings and it hurts them to be compared to Walmart employees.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was at a Gun show looking for 303 British ammo or brass.
An expert in these things had a box on his table marked 303 brass.
I asked if it were 303 British or 303 Savage. He stood up and with a look of one who knew all, “ The 303 British IS NOT THE SAME AS THE 303 SAVAGE.” Before I could ask again he repeated himself. The third repeat had me walking away. I could hear him with his all knowing voice repeating it again until his voice was just mingled in with the crowd.

I didn’t come back and ask him any further questions.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by gunnut308

small bullet adl piglet

BIGGER BOOLIT BDL BOAR

Sir. You have good taste.

Love those two builds.

GB

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
What about the DM?

Attached Images
CBE473D6-818D-4230-AF4B-90A0B1FD7453.jpeg (41.64 KB, 142 downloads)
DM

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by gunnut308

small bullet adl piglet

BIGGER BOOLIT BDL BOAR

Did you shoot the little pig in the head or was he just surprised you killed him with a small bullet?

Last edited by pacecars; 01/23/22.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Back in the 90s i stumbled upon a Remington 721BDL in 30-06 and bought it for a good price. I had never seen one before and I called a gun shop and asked an employee if he had ever seen one. He became furious and told he had been in the gun business for X amount of years and had NEVER seen a 721BDL and that all 722s and 721s had plain jane stocks and thought I was a moron for buying the rifle.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I know this sounds racist, but so be it. I have learned when any AA girl answers the phone call for any reason...to just hang up, call back and hope to get somebody else.

I had one-an Apple Techy- trying to answer my question on why my keyboard didnt work for 20 minutes. Finally she says, try this....punch in f5 and enter.....did you miss the part about my keyboard not working?

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I know this sounds racist, but so be it. I have learned when any AA girl answers the phone call for any reason...to just hang up, call back and hope to get somebody else.

I had one-an Apple Techy- trying to answer my question on why my keyboard didnt work for 20 minutes. Finally she says, try this....punch in f5 and enter.....did you miss the part about my keyboard not working?

You're right about that. Having lived around Blacks all my life, I have always thought I could understand most of them, and decypher their lingo. However, the older I get, either I understand less than I thought I did, or else I'm just impatient and give up too quick.

I usually just hang up when I can't understand what the person on the other end is saying like you do. Life's too short to have to deal with crap like that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I converted my ADL to a BDL.,,,,,,,kicks a lot more now.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
791 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 77 invisible), 3,190 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,709
Posts18,400,156
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.